SASS Wire Forum

Cylinder Throat Diameter for .32 Ruger

Widder, SASS #59054

If my bullets are .313 for the .32 H&R mag, and I'm shooting Ruger .32 pistols,

what diameter should my cylinder throat be AND...... what diameter should my

forcing cone be?

Thanks

..........Widder

I don't know what would be ideal , but do know it would be good to have bore diameter smaller than cylinder throat instead of the other way around. Unfortunatly , that does happen on occasion.

Will watch this tread for some input from experts.

By the way , Widder , the 32 Mag is the Pet Loads write-up by Brian Pearce  in the newest "Handloader" magazine.

Good luck , Rex :D

First, slug the bore.  Measure the groove diameter.  I'll bet it's right around 0.313".

Let's assume that is what you get.  You sure don't want the throats to be tighter than the groove diameter. So, make throat 0.314". 

Forcing cone diameter?  Major diameter, I suppose you are asking for.  The minor diameter (the tip of the cone) will be your barrel's groove diameter.  I would guess you could go to 0.316" or ...7 major diameter (breech end of barrel).   Unless you have real sloppy fitment of the cylinder lock-up, you should not need more than  that to make sure the cone always catches the slug.  An 11 degree taper forcing cone cutter is renowned for cast bullet accuracy in revolvers.

Then try a slug that is 0.001" larger than groove diameter.  So, slug should probably work well at 0.314" - sized bullet diameter of 0.314.  Throat will just support the bullet, but not size it down.  Forcing cone will catch and gently bring bullet into alignment with bore without squeezing it much.

Accuracy does not magically derive from what slug and diameter you have on hand!   Accuracy should come from all the gun parts (throat, forcing cone and barrel) working together, not squeezing and then letting bullet expand excessively.

Base things on your barrel's groove diameter.

There's an old but very pertinent thread on another forum, but T Cody already provided the URL to it.  It's a good one!

Good luck, GJ

Widder,

Garrison Joe explained it well.  The problem is not knowing what your barre groove diameter is.  Without that, it's a WAG (Military acronym for Wild A$$ Guess).  My rule of thumb for setting up customers guns was throats and bullets plus a Thou over barrel groove.  The actual diameter of the barrel forcing cone is immaterial.  Again, Joe explained it well, just cut an 11 degree forcing cone.  Just don't cut the forcing cone too deep.

Widder

Brownells sells a forcing cone gage.  The picture is for the three I have, 32, 38, and 44.  The 32 gage measures .300” at the small end and .333” at the large end.

image.jpg

I slugged my ruger barrels and they are both a shade under .313 The cylinder throats are around .310. The next question is who dose work on cylinders to open the throats to .314

6 hours ago, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

next question is who does work on cylinders to open the throats to .314

Any good smith should be able to.   Lassiter, Boomstick Jay are a couple that come to mind.  It's an easy job with a hand held reamer and some polishing equipment.

Good luck, GJ

CC and Sam,

Thanks for the additional info.

Snake-eye,  I think my Ruger's are similar to your Ruger dimensions.   I'm gonna slug my barrels

and double check my cylinder throats before proceeding.

THANKS EVERYONE.

..........Widder

Archived