SASS Wire Forum

Stetson vs Resistol vs Other

Clay Thornton

Get your popcorn and sit back and enjoy folks.  I am expecting some pretty strong tribalism here.

I have been shooting the last few years with a cheap crushable cowboy hat. While it has served me well I feel the need to get a nice hat that I will have for years.  You know one you buy with a hat size as opposed to a t-shirt size. 

Which do you prefer, Stetson, Resistol, or something else?  I'm not looking for a $400 custom hat at this time that is just not in the budget. Just a good quality $150 or less hat. 

What is the difference between these brands? Does one fit differently then others?  What's the skinny?

Thanks!

Subscribed. I'm in the same boat and looking for felt for fall and winter and leaving my straw on the shelf until next summer. Seems felt can be had for $69 to $690, depending on what you want. I want something that will last but not break the bank and make me teary eyed if I get it dirty. This should be an interesting topic.

Seems like I spent a little more than $400 for a real nice shop made hat in Estes Park, but you can spend that and more for Stetson or Resistol. Check their websites and find a style you like. That's a Resistol I'm wearing, not too pricey. 

First felt hat I bought was a Stetson made of Buffalo hair.  It was around $150.  I wear it as a work hat and have been satisfied with it.  Takes a bit longer to get it to hold its shape but its ok now.  Not as good as beaver when it gets wet, though, it has held up well.  I've been wearing it 2 years.

Howdy Clay,

Get the exact hat you want.  The one that makes you happy, the one you see yourself wearing.  The one you think makes you look good!

Get the exact hat you want regardless of the price.  

If you get second best; you won't be satisfied and you will get the better hat anyway, at a later date.  

Get the one you want now and be happy! :D

All the best,

Mo

Resistol & Stetson are basically the same Hat... What matters is the amount of Beaver in the felt.

I drive by the Resistol / Stetson Hat Factory just about every day going & coming from work.

And I've been to their Factory Store many times.

They will custom make you a Hat to your specs while you wait.

You can get a "Smokin' Deal" there too !!!!!!!!

if you ever make it to Garland Tx you need to visit !!!!

Only one hat??? Last time I counted I have 11 of them. I like different looks depending on the character I want to portray. For a little more money D-J, Knudsen, Jaxonbilt, Colorado Mountain Hat and others all make nice hats and in just about any style that you want. Just sayin.

More beaver in the felt, the better it lasts and stays in shape (especially when wet).  Each brand uses a different X marking to tell you how much beaver.  A great hat has at least 50% beaver in the felt.

My favorite of all my felt CB hats - is a Bailey.  But, they seem to not do many animal felt hats anymore.   Unless you want the hat falling apart and loosing most shape in the first rain - avoid a wool felt hat, or a rabbit fur felt hat.    Stetson is great, and Resistol is great. 

I worry less about the brand and more about the ability of the hat maker to get a great fit and a great initial shape.   Most pards CANNOT get a great hat that is pre made (off the shelf).  They can get a good hat, but within a few weeks, it's going to a local hatter to fix it RIGHT.  Go see a top notch hat maker.  He'll buy the plain hat body in the color you want, shape it and size it right (including the type of oval shape - real important), and work with you to find exactly what shape fits your image of yourself.

Cowboy shooting has several great hatters.   I'll start you with:

D Bar J Hats, Paradise, NV     D Bar J Hats

A place where Bailey full fur felt hats are still sold -

Sheplers     Sheplers

Good luck, GJ

I only have four hats, but they are all custom made ranging from around $300 to about $800. One from Knudsen hat company is a 10X, On from D Bar J is a 20X, and the other two are from a friend that custom makes hats and they are both 100X or 100% Beaver. All of these hats are really nice, but you can definitely see a quality difference between them. I know most folks don't want to spend that kind of money on a hat, but we all spend money on our boots, clothes, and especially guns. Yet nothing we use is more noticeable than a hat. I would suggest getting the very best hat that you like and can afford. If not both, then wait until you either find the hat you love or save up the money for the hat you love. It's better to get it right and have the hat you'll love forever than to rush it. Slow down, you'll have a more harmonious outcome if you do.

I bought a Bullhide Pistol Pete 6X hat last year from Sheplers.  Very well made hat for the money.  The brim and crown are thick and substantial.  Once you steam them and set them to the shape you want, everything stays the way you shaped it.

You can get Stetson and Resitol's bottom of the line hats for around $100.  I've tried on Stetsons (bottom of their line) and Resistols that didn't compare as well for the money.

https://www.sheplers.com/bullhide-pistol-pete-6x-premium-wool-cowboy-hat/096K71.html

I have a Saratelli that I really like that was only about a hundred bucks. It got rained on pretty good one weekend and changed shape a little but I like the new shape too. My advice is to try on a bunch of hats and buy the one that fits you best no matter who makes it.

Read the ads carefully, you'll find some all wool hats marked 4X and such.  That's just sad.  Wool hats won't keep their shape and many of them, if you sweat in them, will send colored die down your face and neck.  Experience is taught me that they are garbage.

From there, buy as high a beaver content as you can afford in the style that fits your face shape and body build.  Although this video does not deal with cowboy hats, the principles still apply.  There was a reason why Dan Blocker was given that distinctive "Hoss" hat to wear...

I've had the Saratelli, Stetson and Resistol..

I think my go to shootin hat I wear now is the Saratelli..

I kinda thought it had all the misses out of it.. :unsure: but it ain't..:mellow:

It's been rained on and reshaped by ME most the time..

It's all stained from gun lube and burnt gun powder at the peak  :huh:

but hey.. It's my shootin hat.. :D

My suggestion is to get at the minimum a 4X hat.. 5X if you can afford it..

They use to be $20 per X but I'm sure they're higher now..

Some folks have a round head.. Some folks an oval head..

Get the one fer fittin your head..

Myself I always go with 4" brim at the minimum in a bull rider fashion..

I also like a big ol Gus crease in the front..

I bought a hatband and windstring at big shoots I've attended..

The windstring will keep it on yer head on a windy day..:huh:

But.. By all means make it YOUR hat..

Rance ;)

and they keep yer head dry while yer thinkin' :rolleyes:

oh yeah.. Get all the Beaver content you can afford..

I’ve been a hat freak ever since my grandfather would park his hat on me (2 years old and after) when we visited.  I presently have over a dozen that get worn to matches.  I would not buy a hat without trying it on.  Like a good pair of shoes or gloves, there is a special feel when a hat fits you just right.  I reshape hats that feel good but don’t look exactly like I want them to.  My match hats get dirty because my rifles eject dirty blackpowder brass upwards and many of those fouled cases land on my hats.  I consider them beauty marks, as seen on this reshaped Stetson Tom Mix model:

7BB02486-F12A-4493-8D20-ABAED273DDC7.thumb.jpeg.07c0e94cac47852812d5c975bd5b9abd.jpeg005E6463-5F5C-4443-9AF5-671A9D4F4266.thumb.jpeg.16bc94a3e4b35b33aa031109d9562137.jpeg

I have other clean hats that I wear to banquets.

YMMV.  ;)

Edit it for a brag:

My wife made the beaded hatband.  She has given me others as well.  I’m kinda proud!

I have several used Stetson's that work well and several Resistol's. Also have a custom 100% beaver Colorado Hat Co. hat. It's totally waterproof except around the band. The main thing is to get your hat size correctly figured out. I'd pick up a used one from the Wire; once got a mint Stetson for $60. The Colorado hat cost $375 years back, they are now double that. It will outlast me.

Church Key 

I have about 15 hats when you add in the four straw or palms. Most of my felt hats are 6x - 10x. A modest amount of beaver but still beaver. As others have stated buy the most beaver content you can't really afford. Do you shoot a Stoeger or an SKB. No disrespect intended to Stoeger. 

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I’ve been a hat freak ever since my grandfather would park his hat on me (2 years old and after) when we visited.  I presently have over a dozen that get worn to matches.  I would not buy a hat without trying it on.  Like a good pair of shoes or gloves, there is a special feel when a hat fits you just right.  I reshape hats that feel good but don’t look exactly like I want them to.  My match hats get dirty because my rifles eject dirty blackpowder brass upwards and many of those fouled cases land on my hats.  I consider them beauty marks, as seen on this reshaped Stetson Tom Mix model:

7BB02486-F12A-4493-8D20-ABAED273DDC7.thumb.jpeg.07c0e94cac47852812d5c975bd5b9abd.jpeg005E6463-5F5C-4443-9AF5-671A9D4F4266.thumb.jpeg.16bc94a3e4b35b33aa031109d9562137.jpeg

I have other clean hats that I wear to banquets.

YMMV.  ;)

Edit it for a brag:

My wife made the beaded hatband.  She has given me others as well.  I’m kinda proud!

That’s a beautiful hat band. 

You might take a look at Lawdog Hats right here in Billings Montana. The owner (Randy) has been a big supporter of our annual shoots. Not only is he a great guy to work with but he has great hats!! He has even come out to the range with a display and head sizer for the shooters that would like a custom hat from him.

Tell him that Randy (AKA Bugler ) sent you.........

Bugler

I have 3 Stetsons and a something or other made in CO... The 1st Stetson I ever bought for myself is a 20X, back in 1973, XMas gift to me for surviving my 1st Navy enlistment... (along with a bunch of reloading gear)... I still wear it from time to time, the other two are "identical" 30X hats I got for uniform wear with our Sheriff's Posse.  One's been regulated to simply work wear... It has seen better days.  

Basically, what Silver Sam said.  Although if you want a shorter drive, you can still order a hat thru the Stetson store in St. Josepth, MO.  If they don't have the exact style you want in the quality you want in the store, they'll send down the factory for one... then fit it for you and shape the brim to just about any fashion you want... free of charge.  Oh yeah... if you're a LEO, be sure to ask for your discount... It's well worth it!!!!

The "something or other" was a custom made hat in 1990... still wear it as my shootin' hat.  It's been re-blocked, cleaned once or twice, and re-blocked... could probably use another cleanin' and re-blockin' again!  

Man I worked for way back would only buy $100 Stetsons, and they would last a life time. That was before everybody had to have a 'cowboy' hat and didn't know pulling sucker rod from pulling a calf. I quit buying store bought hats about 35  years ago. I now buy hats from a local co. that makes their own hats, in Lubbock.(In Texas a town 90 miles away is local). Last hat I bought was about 10 years ago and I spent $275 for a 10 X beaver. (its really 10 X) Im ruff on hats cause I wear them every day rain or snow or clear. I recommend "Flint Hat and Boot shop in Lubbock. That's the only reason I personally would drive to Lubbock.

35 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

I see your in Iowa, best advise is to check out what Work N Ranch has, they have good quality hats that will run you 150-200 dollars...

Agreed,  Work N Ranch are the finest folks for hats, clothes, accessories.  They were on the range at the Missouri State Championship match last weekend.  I should know better than to go into their tent because I ALWAYS find things I must have!   :D

3 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Agreed,  Work N Ranch are the finest folks for hats, clothes, accessories.  They were on the range at the Missouri State Championship match last weekend.  I should know better than to go into their tent because I ALWAYS find things I must have!   :D

I only live 60 miles from Keith and Linda, and we visit often, it's hell on the check book!!!!!

Get the exact hat you want.  The one that makes you happy, the one you see yourself wearing.  The one you think makes you look good!

My favorite whisky channel says, "The best whisky is the whisky you like to drink and the right way to drink whisky is the way you like to drink it."

That said, six one way, half a dozen the other between resistol and stetson. They're both quality products. +1 on the beaver (you can never have enough beaver).

I have to say that unless its a daily wear hat, a hat you'll keep and wear forever, its not worth $300.

If you only wear a hat for this game, there really is no value in spending loads of bucks on a lid. If you're the guy that'll never walk outdoors without a hat and/or gets offended when someone asks you to remove your hat (I'm in Texas, that IS offense-worthy) then go nuts on a hat. 

My experience: A good hat cannot be worn out. You'll wear it even while your sig-other is rolling his/her eyes. Also, there is no description for the pain involved the first time a $300 hat is dirtied or bent. Wear it enough and you'll get over it. The first time. Hurts. Bad.

One last note, I grew up that you had three hats. A summer hat, straw. A winter hat, felt. A dress hat, nicest hat you own. Again, Texas so I'm sure some places have no use for a straw hat.

i found a decent stetson hat in a local thrift shop back when i started this game , it was a bit under $10 and has served me well ever since - no plans to change it out at this point in life - we have grown fond of each other over all this time 

Sunbody, about $100 now, soft, comfortable, you will have lots of friends when it rains, all year long, you will be noticed, like it or not.

Imis I have other hats but no real liking for any of them

Most of mine are Resistol, all of which I bought secondhand and had cleaned and shaped at A.A. Callister, and all of which I like. I have one Stetson, found in rough shape at a thrift store for $2 and refurbished by a local hat maker. One of my favorites is a Resistol I bought in a thrift store for $15 and later saw the exact same model being sold at A.A. Callister for $185. 

There are are great deals to be had on used hats if you keep an eye open. 

Archived