SASS Wire Forum

Changing The Guard

Subdeacon Joe

I suffered through the one similar to #7 here in Ottawa, standing guard at Government House.

Wearing that Busby, red tunic and carrying an FN/FAL

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Anyone besides me giggle all the way through it?

INCLUDING the US one.

To be accurate, that was the inspection, not the changing of the guard.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

To be accurate, that was the inspection, not the changing of the guard.

Tomb of the Unknown I think.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Anyone besides me giggle all the way through it?

INCLUDING the US one.

No, I can't say I did. I found it fascinating. While I certainly find some of it peculiar, with some of the exaggerated marching making my joints ache just watching, I admire the effort, the dedication, and the skill it takes to reach that level of precision. I was always happy if I was able to get my basic drill and ceremony correct. 

I'm with DocWard, I see the dedication, hours of practice, and just plain effort of the participants as acts of respect to their individual countries.  The styles of marching and weapons handling may been strange to us, but are usually rooted in some history of the countries.  

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

No, I can't say I did. I found it fascinating. While I certainly find some of it peculiar, with some of the exaggerated marching making my joints ache just watching, I admire the effort, the dedication, and the skill it takes to reach that level of precision. I was always happy if I was able to get my basic drill and ceremony correct. 

I also did it fascinating and impressive.  But I still chuckled at some point in all of them.  Especially the Turks and Thais.

7 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Tomb of the Unknown I think.

Yes. The Russian scene was at the eternal flame, tomb of the unknown, fallen in the defense of Moscow. I have seen a report that the guards are often twins.

here is a picture of Gen. Peter Pace, Chairman, Joint Chiefs at a wreath laying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier_(Moscow)#/media/File%3AGeneral_Pace_at_Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier%2C_Moscow.JPG

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Which is part of the ceremony. 

Here's the whole thing

The India/Pakistan ceremony is the closing of the border crossing, not the changing of the guard.Given the history between the two countries, it's surprising that they only stomp and posture without actually opening fire on each other. ;)

I've been lucky enough to witness the changing of the Guard at The Tomb.  So very impressive to see. And if you ever have the chance to go, pay attention to the rust stains on the ground.  Years and years of steel taps, in exactly the same place, over and over again as they stand vigil.  Such a very somber and respectful display.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Here's the whole thing

Exactly.  Every video I have ever seen of the guard change at the Tomb of the Unknown includes that inspection.

10 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The India/Pakistan ceremony is the closing of the border crossing, not the changing of the guard.Given the history between the two countries, it's surprising that they only stomp and posture without actually opening fire on each other. 

Well, what can you expect from Russian tourists?  ;)

Plenty of aggressive head shakes and threatening sling adjusting, though.  As well as belligerent stomping.

But, at the end they do shake hands and part as friends.  :D

1.  I have always thought it to be a good idea to exhaust your troops before pos ing them.

2.  I'm gratified to see the venerable U. S. Rifle caliber .30 M-1 still in use all over the planet.

3.  When I was still in uniform, Army and Marine Corps alike, wearing shades while in uniform was a capital offense.  When did that change?

4.  Just how does all this fooferah make a better soldier?

6 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What the hell is an "unknown I think"?

Trust me, there are plenty of thoughts around here that should remain unknown...

Speaking of military foofaraw, I believe I have whipped the VFW post color guard into shape at last. I refinished the stocks on two ‘03  Springfields, got some parade belts and slings, and drilled the guys to near exhaustion.

Friday night the local high school is having Veterans Appreciation night at the football game. The players and students who have family members who are vets will bring them onto the field for the National Anthem. They asked us to provide a Color Guard.

I got two Navy and one Air Force volunteers. They looked good at today’s practice. 

Not exactly Old Guard quality but not bad for a small farm town. :D:FlagAm:

37 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What the hell is an "unknown I think"?

I was referring to a question posed above my comment.

I am a Canadian, who has never had the honour of watching the Old Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, but I thought I recognized the background.

Until recently, we didn't mount guard at our Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, in the centre of Ottawa, at the Cenotaph, although I did have the honour of being part of the repatriation ceremony, when our hero arrived from the cemetery, near where he was killed, at Vimy Ridge in 1917 .

This is the Tomb, with members of my old regiment standing guard and another picture of the Tomb covered in poppies on Remembrance Day, November 11. It is our custom to place the poppies on the Tomb, following the Solemn Remembrance Service.

1024px-Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier_-_Tombe_du_Soldat_inconnu.jpg

1024px-Canadian_Tomb_of_the_Unknown_Soldier_with_poppies.jpg

35 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

...wearing shades while in uniform was a capital offense.  When did that change? 

I thought the same thing.

I've read that the sunglasses are to prevent eye damage from the sun's reflecting off the marble.

Practical, not disrespectful.  

Tomb Guards info here

Notice the strap on the left shoulder referred to in the article.

7A622F96-380D-4A9E-8404-D593278CE923.jpeg

77AAAD65-ADE2-4D7B-8A5F-57CB9F14ACE0.jpeg

I watched the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns, just this past June with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter.  A beautiful, solumn ceremony.  Those troops have to be especially dedicated.  I notice they use M-14's, which are probably best balanced for the inspection-arms sequences.  God Bless those men! :FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Did the Sgt do all of the medal polishing?

You don’t have to polish medals. They are shiny plated these days. I’m not really fond of the look.

9 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Never can beat the Indians and Pakistanis...

They were under Britain’s heel for many years. When the Qieen’s troops pulled out the Indians and Paks took the old British army ceremonies and traditions and kicked them up a notch, or three. Kinda looks like a Maori regiment on steroids, acid, and Red Bull.

Archived