Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

The cocked hammer sdq penalty has NOT gone away

Recommended Posts

The is a rumor that the penalty for leaving the loading table with a cocked gun has been changed

 

it hasn’t been changed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not important BUT wish they would let the shooter  safely pull the trigger. If goes bang, take a seat in the gallery, If click, stage weapon and continue stage.                GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the penalty should stay the way it is.  We don't want people to just sluff off a possible dangerous situation.  Don't leave the loading table with a cocked weapon...period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I was referring to rifle, not revolvers in my opinion.     GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leave it alone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep - the rule hasn't changed...hope it does!!!

 

And we are not shooting "Weapons". We are shooting guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns...bang-bangs...but not weapons.

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yep - the rule hasn't changed...hope it does!!!

 

And we are not shooting "Weapons". We are shooting guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns...bang-bangs...but not weapons.

 

;)

Can I safely assume you were never in the military? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

Can I safely assume you were never in the military? 

:lol:

 

Nope

 

But SASS ain't the military

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

:lol:

But SASS ain't the military

 

 

Man, have you got that right.

 

Can you imagine 10 pages of "discussion" with your RSM (Senior Gunnery SGT?) after he tells you something like this happened don't do it again!

 

I reckon you would get half way thru your first post before he picked up you and your computer and threw you both out a window:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

:lol:

 

Nope

 

But SASS ain't the military

 

Phantom

No it’s not, but some habits die hard. I’ll go to my death bed calling my guns weapons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redwood Kid said:

No it’s not, but some habits die hard. I’ll go to my death bed calling my guns weapons. 

That's all fine. My military family members seem to have no issue not calling guns weapons.

 

Curious, what do you call your knives?

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

That's all fine. My military family members seem to have no issue not calling guns weapons.

 

Curious, what do you call your knives?

 

Phantom

Same thing as my guns and the rest of my body hehe:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just say that you would have to work overtime to leave the loading table with cocked revolvers, it is very easy to leave with a cocked rifle.  With a rifle you come to the table with the action open, close the action, decock the hammer and load, not brain surgery though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

 

And we are not shooting "Weapons". We are shooting guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, rifles, shotguns...bang-bangs...but not weapons.

 

;)

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

Lets just say that you would have to work overtime to leave the loading table with cocked revolvers, it is very easy to leave with a cocked rifle.  With a rifle you come to the table with the action open, close the action, decock the hammer and load, not brain surgery though.

It wouldn’t be that hard to leave with pistols on half cock though would it? I mean if one were to half cock, load, and then holster forgetting to drop the hammer. Again not brain surgery, but it happens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had to use your  Cowboy Guns to defend yourself. They would be weapons . When you are on the firing line shooting at steel bank robbers and such. You are using weapons.

I wouldn't want to call a rifle a gun when I was in MCRD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

If you had to use your  Cowboy Guns to defend yourself. They would be weapons . When you are on the firing line shooting at steel bank robbers and such. You are using weapons.

I wouldn't want to call a rifle a gun when I was in MCRD.

Cause those Steel plates are quite threatening... And calling a rifle a rifle is fine... Cause that's what it is;)

 

I mean heck, a fart could be used as a weapon...so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I mean heck, a fart could be used as a weapon...so...

 

Wasn't poison gas kinda outlawed after WWI?  I guess only if you're military..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably am totally missing something but if the rule didn't change why is is listed as so in the TG minutes under the pinned post by PWB?

 

"Misty then briefly walked the TGs through four matters that have been the subject of recent TG Wire threads, looking for the sentiments of those present:

1.     The first was to eliminate the automatic SDQ penalty for leaving the ULT and coming to the line of engagement with the hammer back on the rifle.  In such instances, the shooter would be directed to point the rifle safely into the back berm and pull the trigger.  If no bullet was fired, the shooter would be directed to finish staging firearms and to complete the stage (No Call).  If a round fired when the shooter pulled the trigger, the shooter would be assessed a SDQ and directed to proceed to the ULT.  This idea met with the approval of the TGs."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, I hadn't read them.  But that was recommended, but modified to hammer at safety notch.   GW

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those were the minutes of the TG meeting at End of Trail.  Recommendations were made by those present, and by Misty and the ROC.  Any changes to the rules will need to be approved by a vote of the TG's at a Summit meeting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Mr. Daniels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am new to the game, but not new to stating my opinion. This is a really wonderful organization and I enjoy the Matches; but, for a beginner there are lots of safety and shooting rules to learn and more importantly to practice. Please don't change safety rules without a great deal of consideration. I need to learn the rules and keeping them as is sure does help. I am a Veteran and former policeman and the safety rules were different in each organization - SASS is no different - some of its rules are contrary to the military and some to the police force. Leaving the Loading Table should be one of the tightest control points. The first step away from the loading table needs to be tightly controlled - which it is at Briggsdale County.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HRandRHBoyd said:

I am new to the game, but not new to stating my opinion. This is a really wonderful organization and I enjoy the Matches; but, for a beginner there are lots of safety and shooting rules to learn and more importantly to practice. Please don't change safety rules without a great deal of consideration. I need to learn the rules and keeping them as is sure does help. I am a Veteran and former policeman and the safety rules were different in each organization - SASS is no different - some of its rules are contrary to the military and some to the police force. Leaving the Loading Table should be one of the tightest control points. The first step away from the loading table needs to be tightly controlled - which it is at Briggsdale County.  

The folks that are considering this change are very safety oriented... As is the general membership.

 

We're not a bunch of dummies... And it's not our first rodeo.

 

Phantom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Cause those Steel plates are quite threatening... And calling a rifle a rifle is fine... Cause that's what it is;)

 

I mean heck, a fart could be used as a weapon...so...

When I was in the military, you couldn't even call it a gun, it was a rifle, and we all know the ditty,

This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is to shoot with, and this is for fun!.

And if you don't know where I'm pointing each time then you were never in the military.:D:lol::huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I"ve been to too many other types of matches that require all shooters to point the gun at the berm and pull the trigger to prove empty. WAY too many just point it in the general direction of 'something', NOT the back berm and pull the trigger. 

That being said, don't change the rule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tracker Jack Daniels,58780 said:

Those were the minutes of the TG meeting at End of Trail.  Recommendations were made by those present, and by Misty and the ROC.  Any changes to the rules will need to be approved by a vote of the TG's at a Summit meeting.

The changes were referred to the ROC and has been recommended for change I believe, but still has to be confirmed by a vote of TG's. I don't think there will be a summit meeting for some years but it may happen by a conference or electronic type  vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Throckmorton,23149 said:

I"ve been to too many other types of matches that require all shooters to point the gun at the berm and pull the trigger to prove empty. WAY too many just point it in the general direction of 'something', NOT the back berm and pull the trigger. 

That being said, don't change the rule. 

We're not changing the rule...... we're recommending changing the PENALTY.?? From SDQ to NO CALL if it doesn't go bang when pointing down range, if it does go bang then you still get the SDQ.

As to all those who say it's dangerous leaving the LT with a cocked hammer on RIFLE only, one may have left the LT with the hammer down....but it can be cocked by brushing up against your chaps for example when moving to the line or staging it??

Do you want a SDQ for that...I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btt,,,,  it popped up again this sunday at a match!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to SDQ a shooter at Hell Fire last weekend. ☹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a shooter this year on a stage where rifle misses could be made up. He had two misses, laid the rifle down on the table, action closed and hammer back, while he fished in his vest pocket for two rounds. It's a stage DQ for a cocked revolver to leave the shooter's hand, but how about the rifle, action closed & hammer back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I saw a shooter this year on a stage where rifle misses could be made up. He had two misses, laid the rifle down on the table, action closed and hammer back, while he fished in his vest pocket for two rounds. It's a stage DQ for a cocked revolver to leave the shooter's hand, but how about the rifle, action closed & hammer back?


NO CALL (if EMPTY)

Quote

 

Safe Conditions During a Course of Fire – Rifles

A rifle is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only:

- Empty.

- Hammer fully down on an empty chamber or spent round, action closed (restaged for further use). 

 

SHB p.15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they are not weapons. why do we have a book full of rules? 

My rule 1. Point that hunk of steel at me and I see the big hole, weapon or not, I'll drop you! :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:08 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:


NO CALL (if EMPTY)

SHB p.15

What about a malfunction and the action won't close? Had that happen and wouldn't know what else to do except lay the rifle down, take the misses, and move on to pistol or shotgun. Six rounds remaining, none in chamber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

What about a malfunction and the action won't close? Had that happen and wouldn't know what else to do except lay the rifle down, take the misses, and move on to pistol or shotgun. Six rounds remaining, none in chamber.

No call if you declare it a broken gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.