SASS Wire Forum

Have things changed at old west reproductions

Doc Coles SASS 1188

I just got a new holster from Old West Reproductions to go with the engraved Colt I just finished.  I have purchased a good bit of gear from them over the years.  Without going into details, this one was different than all the others.  I wrote them a note but have not heard back from them.  

Does anyone know if there have been changes with the company?

They took me to the cleaners 20 years ago when I 1st started cowboy shooting and I told them then, I'd never forget and would let anybody who asked know how they do business sometimes

I don't like to be called a liar

11 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

I just got a new holster from Old West Reproductions to go with the engraved Colt I just finished.  I have purchased a good bit of gear from them over the years.  Without going into details, this one was different than all the others.  I wrote them a note but have not heard back from them.  

Does anyone know if there have been changes with the company?

So, what is the problem with the holster? Fit? Style? Carving/decoration? Might be helpful if you posted a picture. :unsure:

3 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

So, what is the problem with the holster? Fit? Style? Carving/decoration? Might be helpful if you posted a picture. :unsure:

No, I am not going to do that.  This is not a major issue, just not what I have seen before, which prompted me to wonder if there had been any changes at the company.

Every holster I have ever made has been different than the others, just the way it is with handmade goods. Plus I change the way I do things if I feel it is a better way. They probably do the same thing there.

I have two complete double gun rigs from Old West Reproductions. Each with the money belt. Both are very similar yet slightly different but each are perfect. Not fancy but top quality. Very comfortable and a wonderful nod to real Old West historical accuracy.  

11 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I have two complete double gun rigs from Old West Reproductions. Each with the money belt. Both are very similar yet slightly different but each are perfect. Not fancy but top quality. Very comfortable and a wonderful nod to real Old West historical accuracy.  

I agree.  I have some of his plainer holsters as well some his fanciest along with multiple money belts.  In fact, with the exception of military pattern stuff, which he does not make, I have never bought western gun leather from any other maker since the late 1980s.  His work has always been top notch and based on original pieces.  In my experience, it is the gold standard of western leather.  

Don’t get me wrong, there are a few other excellent  makers of authentic western leather out there, Jack Stewart comes to mind.  But, there is also some pretty bad work being done.

Archived