SASS Wire Forum

WHAT'S THE FREAK'N ADDRESS!!!

Rancho Roy

Is there some kind of unwritten rule that an SASS clubs can not simply list the address of the club in its advertisement for a match? I can't believe how often I have to do massive research to find out where the match is located. Many time there isn't even a city or state listed.

This is the latest "address" of a match I was interested in. 

Our CAS range is located 6 miles southwest of XXXX, XX or 11 miles east of XXXXX. 

And sometimes they give only GPS coordinates!!!! I'm not flying in or coming by boat!!

Just give me a simple street, city, state, zip and I'll be happy.

I don't think he indicated he would not go. It is reasonable to have a physical address provided in todays GPS world. If it does not show on GPS the coordinates would be an acceptable alternative with some landmark directions. I get his point.

I have two cars with built in GPS and a Garmin in the truck. Non of them show GPS coordinates..........

In the ads in the Chronicle, even City and State would help. Many times this simple info isn't listed.......

18 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

I have two cars with built in GPS and a Garmin in the truck. Non of them show GPS coordinates..........

In the ads in the Chronicle, even City and State would help. Many times this simple info isn't listed.......

nearly ALL GPS units have the coordinates feature. Just need to know how to get to that screen

Hey Roy,

I understand the frustration. The address should be obvious. It may just be an oversight. Call or email the club contact and I'm sure they'd be glad to help.

BTW, I'm going to take a look at the club where I'm listed as the contact.

Regards,

Allie

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Are you going to stay away from that match because you had to search a little extra and find the location?

Well that's great. Guy makes a valid point, one that's been made for quite awhile, and you belittle him?

49 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Well that's great. Guy makes a valid point, one that's been made for quite awhile, and you belittle him?

My apologies to everyone, my internet was not to belittle. 

I've gotten used to having to dig for information and no address isn't a big deal to me.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Whew! Our address is there. :)

This post was a great read. It reminded me to check myself...

http://wartraceregulators.com/directions.aspx

Address, GPS, and Google map all on the directions page.

Take your pick.

When I went to get a fire permit for our range, the Fire Dept.(who have a key for our gate) asked "where is your range? it does not have an address.

15 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Are you going to stay away from that match because you had to search a little extra and find the location?

My being a poor poor country boy from a small town in the South - Yes, there’s a good possibility that I will “stay away”, not because I’m boycotting the match but because I don’t realize that it’s in a close state.  

Many times I’ll see a match advertised that even though the ad gives a town or city, it doesn’t give the state.  Many town names are repeated in several states.

We have both GPS coordinates and a physical address on our website.  Even with that info, technology sometimes does not bring our guest to the club via a correct route.  I know of more than one shooter that was given directions to drive across a small lake!  How the heck that happened I'll never know.   We offer one more reference when all else fails.  We give the address of a small store that is very close to the first turn from the main road.  That turn is also where the bright orange cowboys point the way. 

16 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:
Is there some kind of unwritten rule that an SASS clubs can not simply list the address of the club in its advertisement for a match? I can't believe how often I have to do massive research to find out where the match is located. Many time there isn't even a city or state listed.

This is the latest "address" of a match I was interested in. 

Our CAS range is located 6 miles southwest of XXXX, XX or 11 miles east of XXXXX. 

And sometimes they give only GPS coordinates!!!! I'm not flying in or coming by boat!!

Just give me a simple street, city, state, zip and I'll be happy.

I'm sending you a PM with their address. I found it by clicking on the map marker on their website. I also included phone numbers for the president and vice president. 

I once worked for the traffic depart for a state.  They designed roads and oversaw the construction.

The head traffic engineer told me that one of the very hardest part of the job was the "signing" or what to put up for traffic signs.  It was difficult because they were already so familiar with the route that it was difficult to see how someone new would interpret the signs.

Similarly, as you have well noted, when you live there, it is so easy to make assumptions that don't fit everyone.

I remember as a kid in my small town hearing someone give directions.  Just to to the old Jap house and turn left, then go about a mile, you will pass the tri-state canal and turn right at the next road.  They live on that corner on a hill.  The traveler asked, what house is the Jap house?  The other said, well I don't knot who lives there now, but that's the local landmark. . . :D   I wonder if the traveler ever made it.

It often helps to go to Google maps to see where your range is and find any description or coordinates of the location. 

As others have mentioned nearly all GPS systems will work with coordinates, but it can be a puzzle to find out how and where to enter them.

On some of my club websites where there really isn't a good address, I include a link to the location on Google maps.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I once worked for the traffic depart for a state.  They designed roads and oversaw the construction.

The head traffic engineer told me that one of the very hardest part of the job was the "signing" or what to put up for traffic signs.  It was difficult because they were already so familiar with the route that it was difficult to see how someone new would interpret the signs.

Similarly, as you have well noted, when you live there, it is so easy to make assumptions that don't fit everyone.

I remember as a kid in my small town hearing someone give directions.  Just to to the old Jap house and turn left, then go about a mile, you will pass the tri-state canal and turn right at the next road.  They live on that corner on a hill.  The traveler asked, what house is the Jap house?  The other said, well I don't knot who lives there now, but that's the local landmark. . . :D   I wonder if the traveler ever made it.

It often helps to go to Google maps to see where your range is and find any description or coordinates of the location. 

As others have mentioned nearly all GPS systems will work with coordinates, but it can be a puzzle to find out how and where to enter them.

On some of my club websites where there really isn't a good address, I include a link to the location on Google maps.

I can identify with those local color directions. Company that I worked for years ago had a set of directions that they must have had on file for 30 years to a certain oil field. Directions were pretty good until the "turn right at the Phillips Station". When I hired on that station had been gone for at least 15 years. Another local helpful direction in another part of the state was " turn left down there where that old black tank used to be". 

Rex , who likes precise directions , and has no GPS. :D

Several times I have made plans to attend major matches and found out at the last moment that the range was many miles from the address on the SASS clubs list.  I could have easily navigated to the clubs secretary’s home three counties over. 

Since there is is no consistent place to find range addresses, l now verify well before hand on the Wire or through a local shooter 

Not to go off topic too far, but have you noticed when you need to stop and ask for directions at a gas station or mom and pop store how many times the locals have no clue on giving you directions to what you're looking for? It's amazing that so many know neither north from south or east from west. Mostly, it's the younger set who are clueless but occasionally you'll meet a full grown adult who can't even tell you where the airport is or for that matter, the nearest Interstate Highway.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:36 AM, Black Hills Barb said:

Even with that info, technology sometimes does not bring our guest to the club via a correct route.  I know of more than one shooter that was given directions to drive across a small lake!  How the heck that happened I'll never know. 

This is very true, the first year that I came to the match my GPS did exactly that.  Luckily, I do know how to look for other roads on the map, and made it the rest of the way in with no additional water hazards.

On 9/20/2018 at 8:58 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Our range is on Meiss Road. At one time Google would give directions from the West, Meiss is a practically impassible rutted dirt road from that direction. There is no way you'd want to drive an RV or pull a trailer on that road.

It isn't uncommon for map apps & GPS's to direct you to drive on roads not suitable for large vehicles.  I am reminded of a case a few years ago when long time friends where going to spend a week with us at what is now my residence.  At the time the only building on the property was the well house.  Their GPS had them traveling the shortest route; however, that sent them on a unpaved irrigation canal service road which has the same name as the paved rd. I live on.  They called when they came to the unpaved road.  We directed them to the property using paved roads.  P.S. There are no street signs at the unpaved or paved ends of the road.

Archived