SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke

:FlagAm:Watching early Gunsmoke episode with young Marshall Dillon, Miss Kitty, and Chester. Listening to Chester I just realized he had the same character accent that Tom Hanks used in Forrest Gump. These early episodes really have a different tone than the later ones.

6 hours ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

These early episodes really have a different tone than the later ones.

Agreed.  I like the black and white better.  Forced the Director's to do a lot more with lighting and close ups.  Also noticed the episodes from the early 1960s have more twists at the end than later on.

Love Gunsmoke .

Watch it everyday.

I never liked the Chester caricature .

But loved Festus Haggen !

One of my all time favorite Caricatures .

Rooster

12 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

I never liked the Chester caricature .

But loved Festus Haggen ! 

One of my all time favorite Caricatures .

Yeppers, I watch Gunsmoke every chance I get.

I've said this before but it deserves repeating here...

Ken Curtis, who played Festus, was one of the original singers of the Sons of the Pioneers

14 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Yeppers, I watch Gunsmoke every chance I get.

I've said this before but it deserves repeating here...

Ken Curtis, who played Festus, was one of the original singers of the Sons of the Pioneers

Not hardly , Ken Curtis joined the group in about 1949 , and left around 1951. The originals , from 1933 or so , were Leonard Sly , Bob Nolan , and Tim Spencer. They added Hugh and Karl Farr sometime in the early going , about 1934 or so.

I like Ken's singing a lot. He had a record of "The Call Of The Far Away Hills" that I would love to have on a CD.

Rex , a fan of both Ken Curtis and The Sons Of The Pioneers.

Ever notice that Chester had more singing and playing parts and Festus had almost none......Contract restrictions? It did surprise me to see them both in a number of episodes.

Always wanted to meet James Arness.........was one of my all time heros.

Bugler

14 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Not hardly , Ken Curtis joined the group in about 1949 , and left around 1951. The originals , from 1933 or so , were Leonard Sly , Bob Nolan , and Tim Spencer. They added Hugh and Karl Farr sometime in the early going , about 1934 or so.

I like Ken's singing a lot. He had a record of "The Call Of The Far Away Hills" that I would love to have on a CD.

Rex , a fan of both Ken Curtis and The Sons Of The Pioneers.

Leonard Slye before he changed his name to Roy Rogers.

Archived