SASS Wire Forum

Magtech brass shotgun shells

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

Not to worry I am not interested in loading smokeless in them. Now that's out of the way here is my issue and question or questions. Firstly I do find them to be unreliable to shoot to many FTF so I have only used them for a monthly match and find that to be frustrating. I am open to any suggestions to make them reliable or would converting them to use 209 primers make them reliable. If that is the case any suggestions on doing that ...yes I know drilling will be involved. What would be the best way to hold the hull. Or does anyone know of a video showing how to do it. I have also tried different primers but that really did not seem to make any real difference.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hochbauer

Use magnum primers.

Be sure the flash holes are uniform and not obstructed.

Put a small piece of flash paper in the bottom of the hull to prevent powder from blocking the flash hole before loading in the powder.

I found the primer pockets to be inconsistent and run a pocket depth cutter into them. 

Also,  it's very imported how you prime the hulls.  Pushing them in flush ain't good enough. They need to be pushed to the bottom of the pocket.

5a8c7fe27bb7e_Prime12gaugebrasshullsFeb2018.jpg.d4569f1d8625a86e8d8c6b1890b8e914.jpg

I use an RCBS shell holder on top of a Lee primer die in a single stage press. This will seat the primer to the bottom of the pocket. 

If you use a shotgun shell press, the anvil is too big and will only set them flush. Also, if you set the primer on a flat surface and bump the hull down on the primer, it'll only be flush. 

Since I started using the RCBS shell holder set up,  I've had no problems with them going off.

Never had a failure to fire Magtech reload priming the case this way:

* Finger set the primer in the pocket

* Set case on a steel plate

* Insert a hickory dowel rod in the case with a spent case on the end

* Whack the dowel rod with a dead blow hammer 

15 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Two questions...

1.  Why should we worry if you wanna use them with smokeless?  I do just that with no problems.

2.  What's FTF? 

What we have heah, is a fai'yuh to fire.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001510/mediaviewer/rm1674457344

When I stared using Magtech All Brass hulls, I experienced quite a few "Fail To Fire" and immediately tried to blame the gun.  The only problem was I had FTF in ALL my double guns.  My method of seating the primers was to set he hull on the primer on my Drill Press table and use a brass rod in the drill press to seat the primer.  This seated the primer flush with the bottom of the hull.  I finally figured out that was the reason for the numerous FTF I was getting.

Bit the bullet.  Bought the RCBS die for Brass Hulls and found a good deal for a Lee Classic single stage press.  De-Prime and Prime in 1/3 the time and FTF went completely away.  Best hundred bucks I ever spent for reloading.  My All Brass 12Ga are now 100% reliable.  Really FUN too

I haven't had a failure to fire in the Magtech hulls.  I shoot both 16g & 12g hulls using either CCI or Winchester Large Pistol.

I prime on a 10g Mec Junior by putting the primer on the primer station, place the brass hull on the primer (you can feel it when the primer is correctly positioned under the primer pocket) and then put a short piece of copper pipe in as a spacer and then seat the primer like you would with any other shotgun hull.

I don't have any Magtech hulls but quite a few old Rem-UMC and Winchester, which are about the same.  I used to seat primers sort of like John Boy except I tapped the hull down over the primer instead of whacking it.  But now, I push the hull over the primer on a flat table to get it started in the hole, then set the hull and primer into the primer seating station on my Lee Load-All II and seat it there.  Never had a FTF with either method.

All new Magtech SG brass hulls need a prep before use. Primer pockets are not uniform, out of round, etc. I use a primer pocket tool and resize all the pockets. Some pockets might be shallow. Some might be so tight you can not seat a primer. Flash holes are not drilled to the proper size, or drilled not in the center of the bottom of the pocket. I use a flash hole reamer to bring the holes to the proper size, and also chamfer the inside of the hole.

After careful prep, they will last a long time.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

All new Magtech SG brass hulls need a prep before use. Primer pockets are not uniform, out of round, etc. I use a primer pocket tool and resize all the pockets. Some pockets might be shallow. Some might be so tight you can not seat a primer. Flash holes are not drilled to the proper size, or drilled not in the center of the bottom of the pocket. I use a flash hole reamer to bring the holes to the proper size, and also chamfer the inside of the hole.

After careful prep, they will last a long time.

I took 5 new boxes, uniformed the flash holes and primer pockets and have never had a problem. I use RCBS die to de-prime and Lee Auto-prime 2 on single stage press with Federal Mag lg pistol primers.

Archived