SASS Wire Forum

Packaging/shipping a rifle

Chief Rick

I'll need to be shipping a rifle to a 'smith in the near future.

I don't have the original shipping boxes.

1) What would be the best means of packaging?

2) What would be the most economical means of shipping said package?

USPS is cheapest. As far as packaging ask your local gun shop if they've got any boxes. Put it in at least a soft sided case. I've used boxes that golf clubs come in quite often as well.

Uline sells rifle boxes. I have a hard case that fits nicely inside of one and it’s the only way I’ll ship a long gun, however I have seen via google some rifle boxes with foam liners. Can’t remember from who but it should be an easy search.

I ship my guns in cheap plastic hard cases, foam lined, in a close fitting cardboard box.  I try to get folks who ship me guns to do the same.  None of those have ever been damaged.  Guns in various attempted make-shift cardboard boxes, usually with loose packing or even no padding, have incurred lots of damage at least a quarter of the time.   That includes guns shipped in "original factory box" but without the overpack that the factory normally does.

As mentioned, dismounting a wood stock from the receiver really helps, especially when you can shorten the package length by doubling metal and wood side by side, out of possible contact.  And it keeps the box from screaming "Long Gun in here!"

Cheapest shipping of long guns is almost always USPS.   Cheapest shipping of handguns is often to let a FFL holder on one end ship to another FFL holder on other end, letting the FFL get a good rate.  

Good luck, GJ

U-line is indeed your friend.   Get the heavy gauge box that just barely contains your item.  U-line will deliver boxes to your door, knocked down.

GJ

27 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Appreciate the info - I've got a few of the hard plastic long gun cases.  Just need to find a cardboard outer box to cover it.

I've seen fluorescent tube boxes used as outer boxes.  They have an advantage that the printing on the outside does not identify the contents as firearms.

depending on what you are shipping and how precious you think it to be - when i had my custom made kentucky flintlock shipped to me i bought a shipping box from track of the wolf , they are the best - no issues , the cost was not out of line , the peace of mind was priceless 

Archived