SASS Wire Forum

New Product-CZ Sharp-Tail Coach Gun

Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667

The other day I stumbled across a video review of two coach guns imported by CZ (the shotguns are made in Turkey by Huglu): the well known "CZ Hammer Coach" and the (news to me) "Sharp-Tail Coach Gun".   Here is a link to the video:  

So in short this is a single trigger double with a mechanical reset, no ejectors and a beavertail forend.  They are also made with longer barrels in different gauges (including a sixteen ga.) but of course the coach gun is the most relevant.

Retail is higher but I found one online for $812.  https://grabagun.com/cz-sharp-tail-coach-sxs-12-20-3.html

Everyone talks about wanting a quality shotgun at a price point that is less than what used SKBs bring.  Will this be a viable contender?

There is a small local gun store in my area that has a surprisingly good selection of CZ firearms.  If I am over that way I might try to look one over if they have one.

Any feedback?

They look nice, but I'll stick with my Stoeger hammerless, 12 gauge SXS, which costs me around $476 at Cabela's.

23 minutes ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Curious if Johnny Meadows or other gunsmiths have been able to smooth one out yet.

I'm not sure how many cowboy action shooters have even SEEN one!

Love my CZ coach gun. Easy to smooth up and lighten the springs. Also swapped the triggers right for left with just a little work. Does not faul as fast as a Stoger and cleans with just a few strokes. Never get goobers of plastic out of the barrels like I do with my Stogers. The CZ I have says HUGLU on it, made in Terkey.

I happened to stop by Palmetto State Armory's Greenville store today.  As it happens, they had a CZ Sharp Tail on the rack.  Not a coach gun, but the longer tubed hunting/clays gun in 16 gauge (how's that for a blast from the past?).  Priced at right under $1,000.

I looked it over but I did not dry-fire the gun so I don't know how much effort it would take to cock the hammers.  It was not impossibly tight to open and close; about what I expected from an out of the box shotgun.  Quality of the stock and metalwork on the example I held was OK.  It seemed like it would handle well.  I think they had a 28 gauge on the rack beside it.

The PSA clerk said they don't special order guns and he didn't know whether they would stock the coach gun version.

I have a CZ hammered coach gun. I like it better than my Stoeger by a fair stretch: it looks better and it points better for me. I also have a CZ Bobwhite which was my first CAS shotgun. It ain’t so good for cowboy but it’s lovely.

The Sharp Tail is a revised version of the previous shotgun. Now with more reliable coil springs....that is basically the difference. Workmanship and quality has always been top notch with Huglu guns. 

I JUST bought a Hammered version, Been shootin a PW87 that took a LOT of work to make consistent and still working on it! Hoping the CZ will ease my gunsmithing time. I'm a sucker for a nice looking CCH receiver and when I saw it, well, it made the wife cry! Should arrive by next week. 

On 9/15/2018 at 4:08 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nice looking guns.  The dude in the Vid is a moron however.

Sharp as a marble~!  :rolleyes:

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:34 PM, Lead Monger said:

Love my CZ coach gun. Easy to smooth up and lighten the springs. Also swapped the triggers right for left with just a little work. Does not faul as fast as a Stoger and cleans with just a few strokes. Never get goobers of plastic out of the barrels like I do with my Stogers. The CZ I have says HUGLU on it, made in Terkey.

A friend of mine just picked up a new Ringneck.   Would let me know how you lightened the springs.  Replace or cut?     Thanks  GW

I just ordered a 12ga CZ Darango Coach gun made by HUGLU in Turkey yesterday.  It is the hammerless coach gun version.  I am replacing a Stoeger that has worked for me for eight years.

I will be watching to see how to slick-up this shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...

The Zenith shotguns are made by Tedna (also from Turkey) and look a lot like the Huglu. Very nice quality, just stiff as a board out of the box. Not too bad to lighten up though. I hope these nice guns continue to get imported by someone. Zenith dropped interest and CDNN bought their stock.

I have been shooting a "Cowboy Delux" hammered 12 ga. for CAS this year .... The wood to metal fit is outstanding as is the Case hardening...

It has Crommed bores Choked IC ,,, a Manuel safety and the checkering is very good...

It has 18.5 inch barrels, shorter than I'm used to but it seems ok I am not sure I like them this short ...

What I would really like is a hammered "Cowboy Delux" in 16 ga. with 24 inch barrels ...

Huglo is the Maker .... Made in Turkey overall a pleasing gun to shoot ...

Jabez Cowboy

I will Keep my Stoeger  Hammer less shotgun and,

My Baikal  hammered shotgun.

I got lees then that in both shotguns .

I have shot my Stoeger for 10 years now with Zero issues .

And Just Picked up a New Old Stock Baikal Hammered .

Dont See that having a issue ether .

Just sayin .

Rooster 

Archived