SASS Wire Forum

Desert Eagles

Col Del Rio

I believe most of the issues are from improper grip and improper cleaning.  A lot of people that buy these buy them as a novelty and as their first big bore pistol without any real experience with large bore revolvers.  The guys that are experienced large bore handgun shooters seem to do okay with them.  I loved the first Matrix movie and would like to get a 50AE Eagle for that reason alone but for some reason, a spare two grand just has not been found lying around. 

7 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Any own a Desert Eagle in 44 Mag?  I have heard horror stories about how hard they are to use properly.  

I don't own one, but have fired a friend's .44 Mag Desert Eagle.  They require full power loads to cycle and since it a gas operated action, lead bullets can not be used.  I found it pleasant enough to shoot and wouldn't mind owning one, but I have better uses for the money it would take to buy one.

A friend had a Desert Eagle .357 Magnum. You had to shoot 158 Grain full magnum loads but it was fun and I do not recall it ever jamming.

Why did he buy it? Because he saw it in a movie.

I got to shoot one a friend had.

It felt like I was holding a soda can.

I've shot them,  as well as the .50AE

First time was when I saw so guys trying their new toy at the range.  At 5 or 7 yards they were shooting nice 20 yard shotgun patterns.   One saw me watching and offered to let me try a few magazines. 

My habit with almost any new handgun is to fire the first few rounds offhand. First 5 were at 6 o'clock in the 5 or 6 ring.  Corrected my point of aim and finished the magazine in the 9 and 10 rings - at 7 yards.  Next magazine was all 9 and 10 rings,  at 6 o'clock.   Part way through one of the commented to his buddy,  "He's shooting the hell out of it!"   

I had been shooting my Blackhawk with somewhat stout .44 Mag handloads, so the DE wasn't bad.

Archived