SASS Wire Forum

How Long Have You Been a Cowboy?

Saturday night I returned from my Posse's Annual match, to find SWMBO sitting with some friends.

She had told them I was away at a Cowboy Action Shooting Match and I was asked a number of routine questions and one that started me thinking (Yeah, Dangerous, I know)

The question: "Your wife tells me you're from Alberta. How long have you been a cowboy?"

I had to think on that for a bit before I answered, "About 71 or 72 years" to which I received some scoffing disbelief, until I showed them the pictures.

Here's one of my Mother and Father and I in 1946 at Rocky Mountain House. I'm the one in the middle. I found those chaps the other day. They no longer fit.

1946 at Rocky Mountain House.jpg

I came out of the closet 13 years ago.. when younger I went along with the Cowboy thing but inside I knew I was an Indian lover..so now I get to dress the part & play  the game all over again...:D

59 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been an on again off again “cowboy” all my life. I go through phases.

Got my first pair of boots about '61, when I was about five years old. They worked great for kicking the bully next door in the shin.

Always liked western style cap guns as a kid. Changed phases back during the Urban Cowboy fad and back again after it faded.

Got a mess of cows now, no horses.

Went and rode a horse last weekend, until the manager of Walmart made me leave. That's ok, I was out of quarters, anyway.

12 years. Where’s your hand in that picture, CLK?

Yul; it's on my other side, holding my belt, ya horn toad.:D

Can't put a time stamp on it but sometime in the 1970s. As a kid I saw my first Western, probably a John Wayne movie and I was hooked. Then I started reading Western paperbacks and couldn't put them down. I had and rode horses growing up so that was just icing on the cake. I paid for my first and second saddles out of my summer wages. Believe me I mowed a lot of grass and threw a lot of hay bales to get that Circle Y roping saddle. My first gun leather came from a flea market and my first six shooter came from the Collectors Armoury, a counterfeit gun if ya'll remember those, cause no cap gun was going to work for me ;)

Here's a pic of me and my 1st horse & Chaps, (it was a Shetland Pony but to me was a horse at that time), that granddad gave me to help around the ranch.  A ranch hand had made the chaps and saddle bags; and Gran made granddad put a parade saddle, bridle on him.  I remember he was almost the same colors and markings as granddads horse.  Mom said I had gotten up before everyone everyday after that to to do chores just so I could ride out with him to learn to work the cows.  I think this was some 57-58 years ago but not sure as they didn't put a date on the photo.  (Side note this was in  the Lincoln Co. NM about 15 mi from Ruidoso)

My 1st Horse.jpg

Charlie

Pards, Does shooting rats in the ally's in my old neighborhood in Chicago with a Daisy Lever Action BB gun qualify?  If so then 70 years.   :blink:

Regards

Since the late 70s when I was 8 and my family moved out west from Ohio to WA state, and along the way we stopped by all the famous spots in South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana. My parents bought me a cowboy set with a hat, bandana, sheriff's badge and dual pistol rig... and the legend of Sixgun Sheridan was born as I haven't been without at least a hat and a sixgun ever since. There's a picture of me somewhere all dressed up in my cowboy dudes watching Old Faithful, which I'll have to dig up sometime.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have been an on again off again “cowboy” all my life. I go through phases. 

I went through Phases once.  Not much there since the mines closed and everyone moved to the city.  :rolleyes:

I was one of those city folk cowboys back in the 50's. :blush:

1182261456_RichardasayoungCowboy.jpg-RESIZED.jpg.39cf532aae89a2f7b707a71a5cb6ec2d.jpg

I was born on a working ranch early in 1956, a homestead my grandfather started in the early teens. I haven't had cattle or horses of my own around since 2001, but have pastured others up until last year. This is the first year in over a hundred years there haven't been cattle on this place.

Hoss Carpenter +1

I was born with my boots on also, 12/7/44 in Paterson, New Jersey home of the original Colt. Who says you have to be west of the Mississippi to ride herd on the bad guys? :D

Archived