SASS Wire Forum

Old Broken Down Cowboy

Paladin  Gun For Hire

Well, my body has given up, knees are shot. So had to quit my most favorite hobby , cowboy action shooting. Did not renew my membership, so am not able to post one "last leaving the game , selling all my  guns and gear post" in the Classifieds.  Here's the question. Do you think we should be able to make one last post like that after leaving the game?  Yes , I know , I waited to long to do it  while still a member , but it was always my thought that I would be able to get back in the game. I have sent an email to Misty on this but she has not responded yet. Just thought it would be something to consider for us ol farts. 

Not listed as a guest, I'd go for it.

Sorry to hear about those knees. 

Go for it. They can’t string you up.

Hi Pardner,

I think that would be a kind thing for SASS to do for members who are no longer able to shoot.

I can see, prior approval being a requirement and having that stated in the ad by the approver or a moderator..

Best wishes. You have been a friend to me.

Sincerely,

Allie

21 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Just do it.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission..... ;)

..........Widder

+1

Or you could just not give up. We have cowboys that shoot from wheelchairs. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Irish Tom.

21 minutes ago, Irish Tom said:

Or you could just not give up. We have cowboys that shoot from wheelchairs. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Irish Tom.

Irish, I have been thinking on that one, or shooting stand and deliver when possible.

Get your knees fixed, Medicare pays for things like that. 

As one whose knees express their opinions often, I can sympathize!  I’m sorry your condition has become so critical.

Perhaps your home club could write a “stand and deliver” monthly match once or twice a year, eliminating the foot races for broken down old cowboys and cowgirls.  I have a hunch you are not the only one who would enjoy it!  ;)

Can someone explain how a “stand and deliver” works? I can imagine something but am not sure if my guess is right. My back has kept me home for the last 3 months. I hope to recover enough to participate in a conventional shoot, but would be interested to know in case I don’t make it.

Stand and deliver is firing all three firearms from the same table or prop with no movement side to side or forward. 

Thanks Yul.  Would arriving at the table with the aide of a cane or wheelchair, as long as you can stand without being unstable be acceptable? I had wondered if a crude crutch made of an old tree branch might be costume correct. Sort of a “Long John Silver” of Treasure Island image.

It occurs to me that carrying two long guns would be a problem with a cane or crutch. Is there a work around for that issue (ie. Is it acceptable for someone else to deliver the long guns to the table?)

18 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Thanks Yul.  Would arriving at the table with the aide of a cane or wheelchair, as long as you can stand without being unstable be acceptable? I had wondered if a crude crutch made of an old tree branch might be costume correct. Sort of a “Long John Silver” of Treasure Island image.

It occurs to me that carrying two long guns would be a problem with a cane or crutch. Is there a work around for that issue (ie. Is it acceptable for someone else to deliver the long guns to the table?)

Yes to the cane or wheelchair. I’ve posseed with pards who are in wheelchairs and the other posse members provide whatever additional assistance they need and the stage instructions are modified if need be to fit their abilities. You may be surprised and humbled at the response you get to your so called handicap or lack of physical ability. In my case I have a very bad back and posse members wherever I shoot are always quick to lend a helping hand. One pard I posse with quite regularly sees to it that my long guns are carried to the ULT at the end of my stages, that helps out a bunch and he’s usually there to help me load my gun cart after the match. I’m pretty sure your match director will make every effort to assist you in our game.

Yul,

Thanks for the info. I too feel that the posse I shoot with would be very helpful. I have not been in the game long and was more wondering if there was room in the rules to allow for assistance to cowboys with limited mobility. This makes me feel better as I was wondering if I got into the game to late. Sure wish I had heard of SASS 10 years earlier.

9 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Yul,

Thanks for the info. I too feel that the posse I shoot with would be very helpful. I have not been in the game long and was more wondering if there was room in the rules to allow for assistance to cowboys with limited mobility. This makes me feel better as I was wondering if I got into the game to late. Sure wish I had heard of SASS 10 years earlier.

There is more room than you can imagine.  As long as your gun handling is safe the sky is the limit.

The club I shot at, if you wanted to shoot but weren't as mobile as a 20 year old , we would figure out a way for you to shoot standing, sitting, or from one position. It's the cowboy way. Go to the leaders of club and tell them of your situation and that you want to participate.

Archived