SASS Wire Forum

Shooting The Mosin Nagant And Not Starting Fires

Subdeacon Joe

22 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Mosin was used by millions of 5’6” Russian peasants. I refuse to acknowledge they possessed superior manliness. :P

I think the recoil was an attempt to prevent the wasting of ammunition.  They probably figured that 5'6" soldier wasn't going to fire that rifle unless his life depended on it.  :)

I shot one once!!  I don't like the recoil of a 308 out of any rifle weighing <12 lbs.  The recoil of a 30-06 bolt gun is way more than I like.  However the worst recoil is from a Stoeger coach gun shooting 2 3/4 in. steel waterfowl loads.  When I bought mine the store I purchased it only had non-toxic 12ga shells.  The only thing I shoot that has more punishing recoil is that of 12 ga 3 1/2 in. magnum steel shot shells out of a Benelli SBEII.

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My friend used to take his Mosin Nagant to the outdoor range. When people looked down their noses at it he would demonstrate it’s accuracy and then invite them to shoot it. He really enjoyed that...sadistic SOB. :D

Works the best if you give them the really hot loads to shoot.  I used to know someone that did that to well deserving individuals.  His ammo box had two different loads in it. Super accurate target loads that happened to have moderate recoil and heavy weight barn burners just waiting for the right individual to shoot his mouth off.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Works the best if you give them the really hot loads to shoot.  I used to know someone that did that to well deserving individuals.  His ammo box had two different loads in it. Super accurate target loads that happened to have moderate recoil and heavy weight barn burners just waiting for the right individual to shoot his mouth off.

Devious individual, but funny. :D

I have never fired either the Mosin Nagant or a Winchester 458Mag. Wonder what the recoil factor is compared between them? 

I am thunking them Ruskie ladies are a lot tougher than I am. 

But now you have me thinking, My 30-06 Model 1917, with a 180 grain slug and the appropriate amount of IMR 4895, 

would probably be a fair comparison. That is a sweet load out of my modified version. 

Of course I have no firearms, and the rifle is the virtual kind. :D

I believe that the stories about heavy recoil with the M-N came from early surplus ammo that was intended for the russian machineguns (PKM)

4 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

I believe that the stories about heavy recoil with the M-N came from early surplus ammo that was intended for the russian machineguns (PKM)

From what I understand, you are correct.  I'd compare the recoil to shooting a 3" mag out of a coach gun w/out a recoil pad - more than manageable even on my old shoulder as long as you hold correctly e.g. it tight in it really isn't so bad.:rolleyes:

Couple of Sassparilla Kid's Mosins...

Top one doesn't look bad with a wooden sporter stock, Model 70 style bolt handle, and Cerakote finish on the metal.  And a bit more comfy to shoot.  :) 

image.thumb.png.60b7fb33a487025b23bf98295d1d98fe.png

1480473947_Mosinwscope2a.thumb.jpg.3fa5a32c1ff6a1b164b4a45908368fd5.jpg

Archived