SASS Wire Forum

Shooting The Mosin Nagant And Not Starting Fires

Subdeacon Joe

I could hit a cliff at 800 meters too. Maybe 1,000. :lol:

The Mosin-Nagant and the 7.62x54R is still in front line service with at least Finland with some of the receivers pre-dating 1898.  

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_Tkiv_85

Not bad for a rifle & cartridge designed in 1891.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I could hit a cliff at 800 meters too. Maybe 1,000. :lol:

If you go to full screen and look at where the green arrow points you can see that the guy is shooting at something like this:

Image result for cardboard silhouette target

But the white version.

It would be nice if they showed the holes in the target.

I maintain that I could hit the cliff as many times as he did.

Cliffs with iron sites are easy. 

Targets not so much.

4 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Put this topic over on the wire and they'd be arguing whether the shooter followed the stage instructions.  :rolleyes: 

First they’d squeal about it not being SASS related.

Kind of scratched my head at that not catchin' fire part.
I'd been given to understand the Mosin has a nice long bayonet to spit attair wild pig and it cooked the beast with the fire from the muzzle.

I have fired worse rifles than the Mosin. A problem is surplus ammo. The originam Russian heavy ball ammo is a bear to shoot. The modern Seller & Bellot commercial stuff is much more reasonable. Less flame and less recoil.

7 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have fired worse rifles than the Mosin. A problem is surplus ammo. The originam Russian heavy ball ammo is a bear to shoot. The modern Seller & Bellot commercial stuff is much more reasonable. Less flame and less recoil.

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have fired them and the recoil is quite lively. I do not own one. 

I suppose Utah Bob is a more robust shooter than we are, Pat. 

That statement about flame is troublesome. :lol:

16 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I suppose Utah Bob is a more robust shooter than we are, Pat. 

That statement about flame is troublesome. :lol:

That may be true. I have fired many powerful rifles and I find no joy in them after dislocating my right shoulder a couple of times...I didn’t dislocate my shoulder firing rifles. One was while surfing, once while crashing a bike and once by lowering the convertible top on my Miata. That was weird...

Now, my 45-70 and my 30-30’s are about all I am willing to fire now, when it comes to rifle rounds. Though I do have a yen for a .308 occasionally. :D

The Mosin was used by millions of 5’6” Russian peasants. I refuse to acknowledge they possessed superior manliness. :P

22 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Mosin was used by millions of 5’6” Russian peasants. I refuse to acknowledge they possessed superior manliness. :P

Superior fear is more likely.  Shooting of subordinates that didn't measure up was quite common in Russia. As I understand it; Stalin was quite fond of that method of motivation.

Could have also been the fact that they were too numb from the cold to notice.

I use Hornady in my nagant sniper that I hunt with sometimes. Not as bad as surplus ammo. Really good rifle to hunt with. Took one at 140 yards and even though my shot went low he only traveled 50 yards and fell. The shot was with me sitting and he was up hill on the other side of a tree. I usually hit low when shooting unsupported 

The mosin is a not a bad weapon, as long as you now how to convert meters into yards.

I have found it to be fun to hunt with from time to time, sort of a secondary gun.

I use Silver Bear SP ammo for hunting and Brown Bear FMJ for plinking.

As a .308 equivalent, It gets the job done.

I have one and shot it once, not too bad recoil, not exactly comfortable though either! It's a hefty weapon!;)

Is good, da? :lol: 

P.S. No fires were started during the making of this video....

and I hit the cliff every time. :P

17 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you go to full screen and look at where the green arrow points you can see that the guy is shooting at something like this:

Image result for cardboard silhouette target

But the white version.

It's a standard IPSC target. The backside is white.

OLG

Steel core ammo most definitely can start fires.  Yup... been there, seen it happen.  

14 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have fired them and the recoil is quite lively. I do not own one. 

I make my own.  I have several hundred rounds of surplus ammo that I have no plans to ever shoot.  :)

48 minutes ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I enjoy the M/N , lots of FUN to take to the range 

seems there is always some loud mouth , that needs to meet the recoil of a 203 gn , out of the M44 

CB 

My friend used to take his Mosin Nagant to the outdoor range. When people looked down their noses at it he would demonstrate it’s accuracy and then invite them to shoot it. He really enjoyed that...sadistic SOB. :D

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Of course 1” of wool clothing  makes a decent recoil pad. ;)

And, an instant ice pack for bruised shoulders, by just stomping your boots, Comrade. :D:D:D

Archived