SASS Wire Forum

How can you shoot this?

Shooting Bull

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

What happens if the T.O. has given P's to those who put 4 on target 2, and the stage writer happens by and says, "oh yeah, they can do that."?

Either throw out the stage, for scoring purposes, or remove the "P"s from those that TO gave.  Then replace TO... Two step answer, with an option.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

Glory Be, nine pages. Who'd a thunk it ??? :wacko:

Because there are two legitimate descriptions of Multi-taps.

And no definitive answer. 

At least we understand each other's position.

Phantom

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Shots are cumulative.

Instruction is to triple tap.

1 hit good

2 hits good

3 hits good

4 hits P

Instructions no double tap

1 hit good

2 hits P

3 hits still P

Because you can't erase a P no matter how you shoot the rest of the stage.

This is honestly the only way to describe it. At the risk of another 9 or 10 pages, is there anyone that does not see the point Im trying to make?

I understand about the quad tap.  But the instructions say triple-tap and then says where the 10th round goes.  So some target will get 4 shoots.  And since  instructions say "any order" and no statement prohibiting a quad-tap, the shooter should be allowed any order.

So the problem is not merely the definition of a triple-tap but what to do with further instructions for the 10th round.  Can the stage writer do as he pleases or is he now locked in since he said triple-tap.  To me, the stage writer can do as they like - just make it as clear as possible.  And sometimes they want to leave options for the shooter so they don't spell out each step.  Those who demand that target 2 not be tripled last are saying that "any order" has been prohibited without the instructions actually saying that.

By the way, I think it would probably be as fast or faster to just triple-tap 1,2,3, then go back to target 2 for the final. 

If you triple-tap 1, 3, 2 then complete the stage instructions as written, it would be possibly slower.  But you had to jump over target 2in the process.  So for most of us, it would not be an advantage, but that's now what we are discussing.

2 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

I understand about the quad tap.  But the instructions say triple-tap and then says where the 10th round goes.  So some target will get 4 shoots.  And since  instructions say "any order" and no statement prohibiting a quad-tap, the shooter should be allowed any order.

One target WILL get 4 rounds. But it will not get 4 CONSECUTIVE rounds if done correctly.

2 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Those who demand that target 2 not be tripled last are saying that "any order" has been prohibited without the instructions actually saying that.

Calling out triple tap is what prohibited the 2nd target from being engaged last. See my flow chart above...

I do understand your point and where you are coming from. It just happens not to meet the definition of a triple tap.

And then it continues, or did you miss that part.  Again, you are not actually answering what I posted above.  You are stuck on one position only based on one word and leaving out the rest of the instructions as I mentioned above.

So you are saying the stage writer cannot write the stage as they wish once they say triple-tap.  I say otherwise.

6 minutes ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

And then it continues, or did you miss that part.  Again, you are not actually answering what I posted above.  You are stuck on one position only based on one word and leaving out the rest of the instructions as I mentioned above.

So you are saying the stage writer cannot write the stage as they wish once they say triple-tap.  I say otherwise.

I wouldn't let it get ya down. They's plenty people wrong all the time.

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

This isn't the 2nd Amendment we're talking about here:lol:

Everything depends on one's definition of Quad Tap.

Oy...

Phantom

PS: There's logic on both sides of the argument... Stop demeaning others that have a different take on this issue... That or stop telling folks how you live the Cowboy Way.:wacko:

Huh?

2 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

It says "in any order."

Forget the any order as that doesn't give one complete freedom. You still have to abide by any restrictions that may exist.

ie: Triple Tap

So maybe not all of us understand each of our positions:o

Phantom

This has been so funny to read.  So with a triple tap targets in any order, and tenth round on center target.  It does not say triple tap "all" targets, being devils advocate now (notice the comma creating a new thought), can I triple tap center target 3 times and then place the tenth round on the center target?  Does say any order?  What would a ten round dump be called?  Maybe a deca tap?  Y'all have a great day and have fun with this post.  Heading out the Hell Fire and CAC in the morning.

Cardboard Cowboy

3 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

It says to triple tap!

followed by a comma and "put tenth shot on center target". The comma separates the rifle instructions into two parts based on grammar rules.

Part 1 - Triple tap the targets in any order

Part 2 - Put tenth shot on center target

I would not call a P for any of the following engagements because if you ask the two following questions the answer is yes to both of them. That would mean the shooter has complied with the stage instructions "AS WRITTEN". 

Did the shooter triple tap the three targets in any order?

Did the shooter put the 10th round on the center target?

if the stage writer had added one little word "then" as in "then put the 10th round on the middle target" 4 of those options would go away......the shooter would have to complete the three triple taps before putting the 10th round on the middle target so now your down to this.

and if the stage writer had omitted the comma or added "No Quad Taps" it would be down to this.

The clearest way would be to add "No Quad Taps".....you don't need to remember stupid grammar rules.

Stan

PS. I have written plenty of stages where the shooters figured out a creative way to engage the targets per the "written instructions" that I did not foresee. 

29 minutes ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

followed by a comma and "put tenth shot on center target". The comma separates the rifle instructions into two parts based on grammar rules.

Part 1 - Triple tap the targets in any order

Part 2 - Put tenth shot on center target

I would not call a P for any of the following engagements because if you ask the two following questions the answer is yes to both of them. That would mean the shooter has complied with the stage instructions "AS WRITTEN". 

Did the shooter triple tap the three targets in any order?

Did the shooter put the 10th round on the center target?

if the stage writer had added one little word "then" as in "then put the 10th round on the middle target" 4 of those options would go away......the shooter would have to complete the three triple taps before putting the 10th round on the middle target so now your down to this.

and if the stage writer had omitted the comma or added "No Quad Taps" it would be down to this.

The clearest way would be to add "No Quad Taps".....you don't need to remember stupid grammar rules.

Stan

PS. I have written plenty of stages where the shooters figured out a creative way to engage the targets per the "written instructions" that I did not foresee. 

That was covered a few pages back. Shots are cumulative.

7 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Shots are CUMULATIVE.

Instruction is to triple tap.

1 hit good

2 hits good

3 hits good

4 hits P

Instructions no double tap

1 hit good

2 hits P

3 hits still P because you can't erase a P no matter how you shoot the rest of the stage.

This^

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

YOUR opinion 

others still believe that the word THEN, or a coma  separates it into 2 separate sets of instructions 

9 pages, im over it 

20 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What does that have to do with the matter at hand?

Geeze dude, it was your reference to commas... Who cares?

The rest of your post warranted no response...IMO.

Cheers!

Phantom

48 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

As established by you? I'm going to need a better source. 

I have the rules of English grammar to base my position on.....you have?

Stan

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Shots are cumulative.

You keep saying that as though it supports your point. I believe it does the opposite.  Count from zero to four using whole numbers. 1-2-3-4. They accumulated. You had to have the one before you could have the two. You had to have the two before you could have the three. And so on. But the next number does not erase the previous number. That’s the opposite of accumulation. 

Since this seems to be stalling out at only 9 pages I'll ask another question.  Suppose the instructions said put 3 consecutive shots on each target, place the 10th round on any target, would 111-333-222-2 be ok? What do you think Tennessee?:)

Randy

Archived