SASS Wire Forum

Ever dream of a certain gun for years

Trigger Mike

So there I was from the time I was 12 years old .

I dreamed about  a Winchester  1873 .

Every time My Granddad and I went to the Sporting good store,  I looked at the Winchester  1873's if they had one . 

I have had and collected and fired Many 1894's and 1892 , Even some Marlins .

But that really nice 1873 always eluded me .

Finley I got a Uberti Winchester 1873 in 44 special  (My Favorite caliber )

From a Pard here on the wire .

(He was upgrading I think to a different caliber .)

After many years of waiting for One , My quest was over .

Then I found I did Not like the feel of the rifle at all .

After so many years of shooting the 1892's and 1894's .

I got used to the way the Rifle pulled up for me. 

I put my cheek bone right up against the stock and the sights was right on what I was looking at .

The 1873 I had to raise  my head up off the stock and look for the sights .

The good news was that the Pard who sold me the 1873 44 special right here on the wire ,

Did not care for his new caliber or just missed his Old 73 in 44 special .

He Bought it back form me .

We both lived happily ever after .

Thank you Pard for the experience.

Rooster .  

I have never been disappointed in a gun that I had yearned for, but there have been a couple of women....

Duffield

I have usually found that if I hold off for a few months, my craving for a specific gun will pass.  Except for a S&W 41.  I did buy a used 41 several weeks ago when I found one for a decent price, and man they are nice.  I am sure my bulls eye shooting ability does not do it justice, but it just feels so much better than my Ruger 22's.   What irritates me most is the guns I passed on years ago that at decent prices that I would love to have now. 

There was an 1873 SAA, US property marked, all matching, and still had the 7 1/2 inch barrel, little to no finish, that I passed on for $800 at a gun show.  I pointed the seller to a friend of mine who semi-collected SAA's, which I knew diddly squat about at the time, and he scooped it up.  I knew then I had messed up, did a some research and cried in my beer.  But, live and learn.   My acquaintance kept and displayed the SAA at gun shows for several years, but finally sold it to a real collector of vintage Colt SAA's and Winchester lever guns for more than I would have ever imagined.

I also foolishly passed on a third generation 7 1/2 inch 45 Colt SAA for $500 back in the early 2000's, as my main interest was military 1911's and US long arms.   

Dumb, dumb, dumb, but live and learn    

Pat Riot,

I'm surprised you didn't like the Sig P232! I had wanted one for CCW for several years (after carrying a S&W Chief's Model 60 2" as a backup, then as a CCW for many years), and finally my lovely wife surprised me with one and I've carried it for twenty years and still love everything about it:wub:. It's totally concealable, I enjoy just looking at it because of the perfect symmetry and design. If there's a fault, in my mind, it's that it's not a larger caliber, but I've reconciled to the trade-off that this is a gun I will carry every day, and a larger, heavier gun I likely would not. If a .380 hits you in the right spot, or enough times, it should be pretty annoying. AND, I have complete confidence that every time I pull the trigger something good happens. You can depend on a Sig right out of the box!

Ornery Cuss

5 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Colt Python in .357 <sigh>

A few years ago I found one that was near-mint for $1600. I thought no way was I gonna pay that much for one. That was the same year The Walking Dead first aired on TV. Now you couldn't even find a broken one that cheap!

Archived