SASS Wire Forum

Ever dream of a certain gun for years

Trigger Mike

Have you ever contemplated buying a certain gun for years and years?  I wanted a Beretta 380 for decades. I loved the look and like the way the 9mm beretta feels and shoots. I hesitated due to price versus other 380 models. I finally broke down and bought one. I was so excited about it that I bought 2 extra magazines and a leather holster from beretta.  I fired it and it did really well.  The downside was it bothered the web of my hand between the thumb and finger.  I kept shooting it anyway.  After a while I now hesitate to shoot it as it hurts my hand. I hate to let it go since I waited so many years to get it but I know I won't carry it.  Something I wanted and yet it didn't work out like I thought it would. My 8 year old likes it though.

Yep.  I used to shoot a lot more skeet and trap than I do now and I always wanted a "pretty" (engraved) skeet gun. 

I set up a special savings account to deposit a portion of my paychecks to pay for one.  For years every time I'd get close to the money needed for the gun I wanted something would happen to eat the savings.  I.E. Buy a house, buy a car, repair a car, etc.  I figure it must have taken me 10 years for the fund and the opportunity to buy the right gun to coincide. 

I finally bought a Beretta 687EELL with Briley tubes.  I love the gun.  I've won some and lost some with it.  Unfortunately I don't get to as many skeet shoots as I used to.  I couldn't justify the expense now, but I'm sure glad I've got it.

Angus

There are a few guns that I really really wanted to own...until I got my hands on one.

The Sig Sauer P232 is one. I was totally enamored with these. I had wanted one for years but never saw one. I was at a gun show and I heard a guy talking to a customer at a gun table say “I have this Sig P232 here I think is a great gun.” I stopped dead in my tracks and waited for the customer to move off. I swooped in and looked for the “little” P232 that I imagined James Bond would have carried if he were created later in time. I looked at the table scanning for my newest dream acquisition but I didn’t see it. I saw some stainless and blued Sigs but not the gun I wanted. Turns out I was looking right past it. The salesman asked if he could help me and I asked where the P232 was and he handed it to me. Needless to say, I was disappointed. Not that the P232 is a bad gun, it just didn’t meet my expectations. It was too big, too shiny, too...European. It was not what I expected. 

Another gun gun I wanted for years but never put my hands on was the Ruger Mini 14. I couldn’t afford one years ago so I never teased myself by looking at them. Then they went on sale at an LGS near me and I had the expendable cash so I beat feet over there to get one. My friend went with me and when the salesman handed me the rifle my friend said I looked like a sad little kid when I put it to my shoulder. It didn’t fit me. I didn’t like anything about it and I handed it back and walked away.

The gun that I actually purchased that I really had to have was the Remington R51. I kind of have a thing for early 20th century firearms. I had always wanted a Remington 51. Just because they were cool, they were obscure and they were Remington. They weren’t the standard semi auto from that era. When the R51 came out I wanted one so bad. I am glad I waited though, because they were an abysmal failure. The Gen 1 guns were a QA nightmare and Remington Beta tested them on their customers. 

When the Gen 2’s came out I was ecstatic. But I waited. When I read lots of good things about them I decided to buy one last year. 

I was giddy when I picked mine up. I loved everything about it...then I took it to the range. What a POS! If you have ever watched a hot air balloon deflate on the ground, that was me.

The gun jammed. The magazines sucked. You couldn’t insert a full mag and rack the slide. The gun jammed. I think I mentioned that the gun jammed. I bought new mags and got the original mags replaced from the factory. Then all seemed well but the gun JAMS with almost all decent defensive ammo. Then the mag release pin kept falling out. It went back to the factory 3 times before they replaced it...Oh, and the big kicker...the thing did a “hang fire” only it wasn’t the ammo. The firing pin hung up but the gun would fire when releasing the grip safety! It did it twice! That was the main reason Remington replaced it.

They sent me a new one...oh joy ^_^

I told them I didn’t want an R51. I told them if they sent me one they had better send me a Huntsville model, not a Charlotte model.

Those $&@#£¥>#%s not only sent me a Charlotte model, they sent me a gun with a serial number 24,000 lower than my first one. 

I now shoot it to kill it. I know the mag realease pin will fall out and when it does I will send it back and they will replace it with another model. I haven’t publicly bad mouthed them until now but if this gun fails I will join forums to drag their name through the mud and they will make it right...:angry:

Okay, sorry. I went on a tear...but, yes, to answer your question, I have dreamed of a gun for years...and was disappointed. 

But it I have also done the same and not been disappointed. :D

S&W 19-4

S&W 10-8 Hong Kong C&E

S&W 442-1

S&W 36

S&W 327NG (not “years” but a while)

Glock 19X (not “years” but a while)

Winchester 94 Trapper 30-30

Marlin 336 30-30

Ruger PC Carbine...well, I wanted an early Police Carbine. When the take-down PC came out, I made it my mission to get one. Now I have it and I love it.

I think you’ll notice my taste in guns is not exotic...

So, after saying all that, it ain’t all bad. ;)

when we were wandering around Cambodia 45+ years ago ran into a weapons cache.  I ended up with a Browning Hi-Power with a shoulder stock slot and long range rear sight.  Was in great condition.

CO wanted all the weapons sent to the rear for G-2.  For some unknown reason non of them made it off the Huey.

I balance this with the fact a came back in more or less one piece so I figured in the grand scheme of things I came out on top

still would like a twin of that H-P though

Howdy,

As a kid I wanted a lever action .22 Winchester.

Dad always said no.

Finally things lined up and I have one now.

And a few others as good or even better.

I probably saved a fortune in .22 ammo......

Best

CR

Sawhorse, I had that Uberti Thunderer with a Jimmy Spurs action job.  Traded it for a Win 97.  Regrets.....

My wish gun is a Winchester Model 21 trap with 30" barrels and the case.

They run about $7000 in 75% condition.

Took that beretta to a pawn shop today. They offered me 250 even though it is nickel and wood grips and in near new condition.  I kept it. They offered me 300 for a 1903a3 and 250 for a colt frontier 22 revolver. I left with what I took in.

For years I wanted an AMT III in .30 Carbine.  When I finally came across one, I picked it up and found that the grip was way too long from front to back for my hands.  Probably just as well, I saw someone use one at a pistol match.  The shooter put on a really great display on how to clear jams.

1 hour ago, Sawhorse Kid said:

Yes, Many a gun on that list.

The foremost is the Cimarron Thunderer,   .45 w/ 3.5 inch barrel and checkered grips

Had in my hands many a time.....18yrs and counting.  

image.png.1ecf6c5dcf9c211457ac764f4249d9bf.png

My wife shoots a pair of these all the time. They were massaged by Boomstick Jay. Sweet.

33 minutes ago, Chantry said:

For years I wanted an AMT III in .30 Carbine.  When I finally came across one, I picked it up and found that the grip was way too long from front to back for my hands.  Probably just as well, I saw someone use one at a pistol match.  The shooter put on a really great display on how to clear jams.

I have had one tor years ,I must be lucky .  It shoots factory ammo and my lead reloads and has never jamed. 

It has a hell of a bark to it  a real attention getter at a range

For years I wanted a PPK, at the time they could not be imported, and the PPK/S was way too $$$$. I found a French made Walther in .32 when in school in Austin and bought it. Sweet little gun, but was a jam-a-matic. When I got my CHL later I sadly sold it and bought a Glock. Just didn't trust it enough to carry it.

JHC

12 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

I have had one tor years ,I must be lucky .  It shoots factory ammo and my lead reloads and has never jamed. 

It has a hell of a bark to it  a real attention getter at a range

You must have gotten one of the good ones, most AMT guns did not have a great reputation for reliability and the AMT III in particular was noted for not being a reliable pistol.  To be fair, getting what seems to be a mostly 1911 inspired design to run with the relatively long .30 Carbine isn't an easy task.

I ended up buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine.  Fun gun to shoot, the recoil is mild and as you said, it has a nasty muzzle blast.

That’s an easy one for me. A Colt SAA. I’ve since added quite a few to my stable, but always lust after another one. 

The first time I almost bought one was in 1995. I found one in a gun store in Georgia and came really close to buying it. I opted for a sig p220 instead, thinking it would be the more practical choice. I carried that sig in combat, but never used it. I always wonder what would have happened if I bought that colt though. 

OK I'll confess. I have always had the hots for a double barrel rifle in 7 X 57.  I saw an old movie of a hunt for hogs in European where the hunter carried a 9x54(I think) double. It was the sexiest gun I've ever seen.

Best I've been able to come up with is a single barrel in 7-08.

8" howitzer? I never owned one but I owned a security room filled with special projectiles  Battalion S-2 and our bullets made funny shaped clouds.

Sharps buffalo

When I was a teenager I couldn't decide if I wanted a Ruger 10/22 or a Remington Nylon 66 for Christmas. I ended up getting a 10/22, but I never forgot about the Nylon 66. Nearly three decades later I was in a pawn shop when I spotted a Mohawk Brown Nylon 66 in excellent shape, and the price was fair so I bought it. It's one of those rifles that I don't shoot very often, but I'm still glad that I finally scratched that itch after so many years had gone by.

I had wanted a C96 Mauser for just about forever. Ten years ago a friend made my day when sold me a C96 "Bolo" Mauser for a very good price, the only condition was that I someday finish the restoration job he had started. The only thing that was need was to have the barrel relined, which I have since done. I don't shoot much, only about once a year.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:16 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

1903 Mannlicher Schonauer carbine in 6.5 x 54 MS; full stock, butter knife bolt handle, claw mounts.

That is also on my list. I do have a mid-1960s Mannlicher-Schonauer MCA carbine in .270 and have taken a few deer with it

2017 UP Buck.jpg

The Dan Wesson 44 mag with 4 different barrels s/n 1007 if recollection serves correct.

Bought it, sold it and have had night mare regrets ever since.

Feel the same about my Gen 1 TC Contender and the 7 different calibers I had in it.

8 hours ago, Steel-eye Steve SASS #40674 said:

That is also on my list. I do have a mid-1960s Mannlicher-Schonauer MCA carbine in .270 and have taken a few deer with it

2017 UP Buck.jpg

I had a 1955 model in .30-06.  Sold it make tuition and never found another in good enough condition and at a reasonable price.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:07 AM, Noz said:

OK I'll confess. I have always had the hots for a double barrel rifle in 7 X 57.  I saw an old movie of a hunt for hogs in European where the hunter carried a 9x54(I think) double. It was the sexiest gun I've ever seen.

Best I've been able to come up with is a single barrel in 7-08.

Same for me but its a Merkel DR in 375 H&H Mag.

To fill in time I have a Sabatti DR in 45-70.

I just took it to the range today trying out some new loads. a 405gr proj, travelling around 1350/1400fps (need to put them over the chrono still), and I got 4 rds (R barrel, L barrel, R barrel, L barrel) all in the 9/10 ring at 50M on a T5 target (on a sand bag).

I reckon that gives me Minute of Buffalo:D

I thought it would be really neat to have an over and under.  I lusted over the Browning Citori and the Beretta O/U.  I thought I would like to get into doing some trap shooting.  A couple years back I had pulled the pin and got both.  The Browning was a used online auction buy and the Beretta was on sale.  I got invited to a corporate trap shoot/ sporting clays event.  I was so proud, I lovingly carried my babies around shooting the trap course.  I don't shoot trap much and haven't done it much.  Most of my long gun shooting is deer hunting, fixed target shooting.  I have never shot sporting clays.  I took my coach gun along just for $#!ts and giggles.  I tried the trap range with the Browning.  Shot what I usually did when I had tried trap many years ago.  Then I tried another round with the Beretta. About the same results.  So when it was time to do the sporting clays, I took my coach gun.  This was the only the second time I have ever done sporting clays.  I was shooting as well as the guys with the fancy, expensive Brownings and Berettas.  Better than I did with my own Browning and Beretta.  So now the B&B will get regulated to the back of the safe with the other queens.  (heavy sigh)

As a kid I really really wanted a Gatling gun. I still do. That notion was inspired by the movie Rooster Cogburn. I couldn't get over how absolutely cool the Gatling gun was. And is.

A pair of black powder frame Colt Single Action Armies would be nice. Not quite as expensive as the Gatling gun but thems going to take some time to locate and save for. 

And then there's the 1928 Thompson. Also cost-prohibitive but daydreamed about often.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

As a kid I really really wanted a Gatling gun. I still do. That notion was inspired by the movie Rooster Cogburn. I couldn't get over how absolutely cool the Gatling gun was. And is.

A pair of black powder frame Colt Single Action Armies would be nice. Not quite as expensive as the Gatling gun but thems going to take some time to locate and save for. 

And then there's the 1928 Thompson. Also cost-prohibitive but daydreamed about often.

I carried both an 1928A1 and and M1 Thompson in 'Nam... not both at the same time... and like the looks of the '28 best.  Mine had a horizontal forend, no barrel flutes, and a Cutts compensator.  Had a fifty round drum magazine that I got rid of ASAP.  Wouldn't work for me, but the satchel full of thirty round mags worked just fine.

The M1 was a better gun, but not as attractive.  I removed the stocks on both guns (Push button on the '28, screwdriver for the M1) for convenience when travelling in 'copters and trucks.

If it were practical I'd own one of each.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I've wanted to own a WW2-era Thompson ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately my state flat out prohibits anything with a giggle switch on it. I could get an SBR semi-auto Thompson, but it wouldn't be the same.

It is not quite the same but it worked for me. A LOT less $$$$$ but the same feel and balance and much less spent on ammo. 

;)

Mine I just came up with. Its A S&W M.544.Its on a N frame & chambered in 44/40.Never knew such a pistol was made until now.Made about 1985

Largo

Archived