SASS Wire Forum

Closing line of True Grit

Hopalong Mac McLin

Am I mistaken or has the Western Cnannel modified the closing line of True Grit?

I remember it as "Come see a one eyed fat man some time."  Tonight the line was "Come see a fat old man some time."  Is my memory failing me?

"Time just gets away from us."

The other True Grit

;)

Hoppy, you were right,, the first time, one-eyed was in there. It was probably P/C'd out of it. Just like one old movie , when it first came out, in the 50's I think. It was "Westward Ho the Women",,,,Ward Bond,,,,,, I think ,,,,,,,,,, (wouldn't swear to it)  if you see it now ,, it's "Westward the Women". P/C ,,,,, wonderful ain't it ? :rolleyes:

Isom

Hopalong:

I was lazy & didn't check my DVD, which I've had since before PC.

Now you've got me curious........I'll have to check it tonight

--Dawg

1 hour ago, Hopalong Mac McLin said:

Prairie Dog....yep that is what I saw last night....PC version.... GRRRRRR!  Of course, is "one eyed" more offensive that "fat man?" I look for the PC police to change the entire line some day.

Isom....thanks for letting me know that, at least this time, my memory has not played a trick on me.    I have been calling my pard, El Viejo Lobo, a  "one eyed fat man" (quoting from the movie) for years and have even encouraged him to wear a patch at matches.....just for fun.

On a side note....Where can a person purchase an eye patch without the bulge (or air space) on it?  The bulge apparently rubs against  safety glasses

If you have some reasonably supple leather, it makes a fine patch.  One that yes, can be worn under glasses!  Have to let us know if Senor Lobo takes you up on it!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

Eye patch.JPG

Before their shootout, when Rooster told Ned Pepper he was going to kill him or arrest him, his choice, Ned said to Rooster, "I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."   At the end of the movie, when Mattie told Rooster he was too old and fat to be jumping horses, he replied, "Well, come see a fat old man sometime" and jumped the fence.

Newt....I must be mistaken about the last line.   It makes sense.  I still don't remember it that way, though.....but been wrong many times before.

12 hours ago, Hopalong Mac McLin said:

Newt....I must be mistaken about the last line.   It makes sense.  I still don't remember it that way, though.....but been wrong many times before.

Yep, you're all mixed up.

Fillmore

I didn't know how good the movie was until I watched it again after the more recent version. While most people thought JOhn Wayne won an academy for old times sake. I can see he did put a lot of hard work into the character.

There's another great line in that final scene.  Mattie offers Rooster her father's cap and ball pistol, which he accepts and says he'd better take it because it almost got her killed twice.  Mattie replies, "Only because you loaded it improperly while in a state of drunkenness."

I laugh every time I think of that line.

Archived