SASS Wire Forum

Yearly critique video

evil dogooder

So what should I work on?   

Sometimes it's better to have others watch in case you miss something. 

So rifle is sloppy I know that but it's kinda expected this was the first run on a rifle I just got back from getting slicked up.  I hadn't shot it in two years and it has a longer throw.  

It's likely the things you need to work on now occur between your ears.  Out of curiosity, can you center punch a clay at 8 yards with each revolver, on demand, starting with hands at low surrender?  I expect you can.  This is one of those things that occurs between the ears....

Doc

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

So what should I work on?   

Sometimes it's better to have others watch in case you miss something. 

So rifle is sloppy I know that but it's kinda expected this was the first run on a rifle I just got back from getting slicked up.  I hadn't shot it in two years and it has a longer throw.  

Great run, the only thing I see might save a quarter to half a second and that is if you'd lay the shotgun down with your left had as you are moving. Instead of laying it down with both hands.  

But again, Great Run, I wish I could shoot that fast.

Randy

OK That was a 24 second video, first 6-8 seconds "getting ready". Then boom and done . You need a 50 pound backpack, boots filled with #9 shot, feet inside and wrist weights with a M1A1 attached then you could shoot with the rest of us.  Well done.

Imis

Thanks. 

Doc no I haven't tried that before. Sounds fun to try.

While being a few seconds off my fastest stage I thought it was pretty good. However I'm no expert and the more eyes on something the better chance I can find room for improvement 

Awesome! Didn't see anything wrong.  Maybe you just wanted to show off your skills, which is okay with me. If I was that fast, I would show off too.

1 hour ago, Riverboat Red, SASS #71733 said:

The one thing that really stands out is, that's an ugly hat. Once you get a better hat, not only will your stage times improve but people will laugh behind your back less. 

:P

Allways with the hat... I think your just jealous...   ya give a guy a knife to pretty up his outfit and this is the thanks you get

14 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Great run, the only thing I see might save a quarter to half a second and that is if you'd lay the shotgun down with your left had as you are moving. Instead of laying it down with both hands.  

But again, Great Run, I wish I could shoot that fast.

Randy

Thanks Randy.  I missed that. 

6 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Allways with the hat... I think your just jealous...   ya give a guy a knife to pretty up his outfit and this is the thanks you get

You're right! If I could shoot that well I wouldn't have to look so good. "Knife"? More like a folding sword!

All you Gunsmoke attendees, don't forget to sign up for Evil's gunfighter clinic!

I am hesitant to critique a superior Gunfighter.

And knowing that one incident is not a trend; it is sometimes difficult to determine if something is an issue or an aberration.

Here's what I saw (think I saw).

Rifle:

Fantastic pick up and mount.

A little barrel movement and wobble (but you address that in the op)

Speed was great.

Lay down was clean; but you are perhaps maintaining your square with the table longer than needed when releasing the rifle.

And imo waiting too long for the rifle to completely stick the landing.

Shotgun: 

From the angle, it was hard to tell when shells were being pulled.  But it seemed they were a little behind schedule and out of position upon arrival at the shotgun. 

I might suggest when moving from rifle to shotgun that the rifle go down with the right hand controlling instead of the left; to allow the left hand earlier opportunity to move to shells.

The first load of the shotgun was off; but the second was perfect so I'm assuming that was simply an individual bobble and not an issue.

During the shotgun restage, you actually twisted your body leftward to square yourself with the table which is contrary to your need movement toward the right.

And again, imo, perhaps a little too long waiting on the shotgun to land.

Pistols:

Too fast shooting them. 

Slow down; give us mortals a chance.

Fantastic speed and accuracy.

Only thing I would question is the delay in drawing them between the shotgun and pistol position. 

When possible; I always recommend drawing on the move and extending prior to arrival at the shooting position.

Fantastic stage.  Wish I could do as well.

2 hours ago, Riverboat Red, SASS #71733 said:

You're right! If I could shoot that well I wouldn't have to look so good. "Knife"? More like a folding sword!

All you Gunsmoke attendees, don't forget to sign up for Evil's gunfighter clinic!

Well you never know when a watermelon may attack. You need a knife that can handle the job

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I am hesitant to critique a superior Gunfighter.

And knowing that one incident is not a trend; it is sometimes difficult to determine if something is an issue or an aberration.

Here's what I saw (think I saw).

Rifle:

Fantastic pick up and mount.

A little barrel movement and wobble (but you address that in the op)

Speed was great.

Lay down was clean; but you are perhaps maintaining your square with the table longer than needed when releasing the rifle.

And imo waiting too long for the rifle to completely stick the landing.

Shotgun: 

From the angle, it was hard to tell when shells were being pulled.  But it seemed they were a little behind schedule and out of position upon arrival at the shotgun. 

I might suggest when moving from rifle to shotgun that the rifle go down with the right hand controlling instead of the left; to allow the left hand earlier opportunity to move to shells.

The first load of the shotgun was off; but the second was perfect so I'm assuming that was simply an individual bobble and not an issue.

During the shotgun restage, you actually twisted your body leftward to square yourself with the table which is contrary to your need movement toward the right.

And again, imo, perhaps a little too long waiting on the shotgun to land.

Pistols:

Too fast shooting them. 

Slow down; give us mortals a chance.

Fantastic speed and accuracy.

Only thing I would question is the delay in drawing them between the shotgun and pistol position. 

When possible; I always recommend drawing on the move and extending prior to arrival at the shooting position.

Fantastic stage.  Wish I could do as well.

One thing I've learned over the years is take advice from everyone.

If you disregard information just because someone isn't faster than you , you are a fool.  Not meaning you personally creeker.  One of the best pieces of advice i ever had came from a gentleman who's fastest stage was over 2 minutes.   Knowledge can come from anyone.  

Thank you for your advice

I'm a-thinkin' that if you're shooting in mid-teens, and ASKIN' for critiquin', your humility meter needs tweakin'!  Now... if every stage you shoot ain't in that range... get Doc Shapiro's book.

11 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

One thing I've learned over the years is take advice from everyone.

If you disregard information just because someone isn't faster than you , you are a fool.  Not meaning you personally creeker.  One of the best pieces of advice i ever had came from a gentleman who's fastest stage was over 2 minutes.   Knowledge can come from anyone.  

Thank you for your advice

Well said and I couldn't agree more!

Now about that hat.....

CBG

Archived