SASS Wire Forum

Would someone please explain the Josey Wales Category to me.

Hellgate #3302 L

I haven't paid any attention to it but since I might give it a try I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I've pretty much shot nothing but Frontiersman since about 1993. You'd think I'd be tired of it by now. I understand that it is  a "no rifle" and maybe no shotgun category. I get that it is an unofficial SASS category.

Does the category vary with the Match Director? (Shotgun or no shotgun, shoot SG fallers w/pistol or skip them, must fall vs just hit, etc.)

Is it a duelist category? If so, is it Double duelist or Gunfighter?

Is it a percussion category?

Howdy, rules may differ from club to club, match to match. Good Luck:) From The Indiana Black Powder Guild;

Josey Wales

Josey Wales participants will shoot 4 SASS main match revolvers and a double barrel or lever action shotgun. No rifle is required for this category. Revolvers may be shot duelist or gunfighter, 10 shots at the pistol targets and 10 shots at the rifle targets. Gunfighter style may only be utilized from revolvers secured in straight hang holsters from opposite sides of the body, or safely staged on props.

Pale Rider

Pale Rider consists of main match cartridge pistols and lever action rifle of 40 Caliber and above (38-40 on up). For bullet weights of 200 grs or more, a black powder charge of 25 grs by volume (1.6 cc's) is required. For 38-40, a bullet weight of 180 grs is permitted; however, the black powder charge is increased to a minimum of 30 grs by volume (2.0 cc's). 12 gauge shotgun only; minimum charge is 60 grs (4.0 cc's) and 1 1/8 oz of shot.

Pale Rider is shot gunfighter style, although a duelist category may be offered, depending on the number of entries for the match.

Hey Hellgate:

Adding to what Jefro said.....

At Tusco, we use 5 pistols (Local tradition)

While it was designed as a one-handed category, we allow it to be shot 2 or 1 handed, smokeless or black powder, cartridge or percussion guns.

I frequently shoot it with 5 cap guns -- Too Much Fun!

Since Josey never had anything but pistols, ours is 5 pistols.

You get one shot at each shotgun knockdown.

If there are 4 shotgun, JW shooters load only 4 in their "shotgun" pistol.

If there are 6, load five rounds  and then load the 6th when you first pick up the SG, before you start shooting at the SG targets.

All you have to do is hit the target, it does not have to go down to count.

At our November JW match, we have 5 shotgun targets on each stage, since we have lotsa JW shooters who only shoot it once a year (At the JW match). This avoids confusion among the infrequent JW shooters, and avoids the problem of folks walking around with live rounds in their holstered guns.

as a stage writer, you just need to think about where the JW shooter will stage & restage the "rifle" pistols and the "Shotgun" pistol.

I also avoid reloads on the clock, since pistol reloads are really confusing and difficult for those who don't do them much.

Feel free to pm me any additional questions

It's a great shooting category to those who have shoulder issues and have difficulty shooting a long gun.

While we have a special JW match in November, when we encourage as many as possible to shoot JW, we've made it a regular category for our monthly & annual shoots.  There's typically 3 of us shooting it, Me, Lifer, & Catlow.  We all have shoulder issues.

--Dawg

I shot Josey Wales yesterday with 5 revolvers at Dawn Ghost Riders Hinton WV. Both shoulder problems. Lets me keep participating in the fun.

I prefer 5 pistols. Pretty much whatever the MD will let you do. not much interest in JW in this area. I did it for several years at the TN-Ky Black Powder Championship, The Smokeout in the Hills. lots of fun.

Imis

The only question for me, other than finding a place to do it, is to decide which 5 pistols to use.  :)

I do have 5 .44-40's, but three of them are antiques, so I'd have to go black power in that caliber.

But I've got plenty of smokeless capable .45's....

Jose Wales....

Clint Eastwood...

I know!   Conversions!   1 1860, 1 Walker, 1 Dragoon, 1 Remington 58 and 1 Rogers and Spencer!   Yeah, that's how I'd do it!     I probably use the big one as my pistols as they get heavy after a while and would not work so well for the rifles pistols. 

two Buntline ROAs are typically my rifle pistols

two 5.5 or 7.5 ROAs are my pistol pistols

one 3" ROA is my shotgun pistol

This is what I typically shoot

Either as percussion guns or I put conversion cylinders in 'em and shoot BP cartridges. 

A rifle reload is handled easily if I'm shooting cap guns

If i'm shooting 'em with conversion cylinders, I usually substitute a 7.5" USFA cartridge gun for one of the Buntlines for that stage.

TOO MUCH FUN!

--Dawg

I do have a single Buntline, .44 Special.  Makes for a great long range pistol.  

I suppose I could use it with a pair of Sheriff's models and my .44 Magnum Uberti clone.   But that still leaves me 1 short.   Oh the possibilities stagger the mind! 

Then again...  I could use the Sheriff's for pistols the magnum for the shotgun, since those might be KD's, the Buntline for one of the rifles and...  Uhm...   purchase another pistol to use as the other rifle.   Yeah... That makes sense.

:)

3 hours ago, Hellgate #3302 L said:

I haven't paid any attention to it but since I might give it a try I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I've pretty much shot nothing but Frontiersman since about 1993. You'd think I'd be tired of it by now. I understand that it is  a "no rifle" and maybe no shotgun category. I get that it is an unofficial SASS category.

Does the category vary with the Match Director? (Shotgun or no shotgun, shoot SG fallers w/pistol or skip them, must fall vs just hit, etc.)

Is it a duelist category? If so, is it Double duelist or Gunfighter?

Is it a percussion category?

Since it's not an official category it does vary according to clubs. Check with yours before you decide to shoot it if you can!

Here's  a video of a few of us shooting JW at our annual High Noon at Tusco,  Old Iron Hip starts at the 4:50 mark.  I follow Iron Hip. Shenango Joe starts at the 7:40 mark

--Dawg

among the

My rifle was in the shop over one of our monthly shoots so I took my 1851 and 1861 Navy's along and shot them for the rifle stage (25m on a T5 target (21"x 24") size plate).

A lot of non C&B shooters were surprised at how accurate the C&B 36's were.

That was so much fun I was almost sorry when the rifle came back.

Hey Dawg, nice movies! Looks like I may give it a run. I've got (I think) 17  C&Bs and 10 or so are match worthy so I oughta be good for it. I shoot a couple of matches a year where you need 4 pistols per stage so I'm used to loading. I hang out at the unloading table clearing shooters coming off the firing line while I load. I'll check with the MD as to whether I need to shoot duelist or not or just two handed at the rifle/shotgun targets (or not). I'll pack 4 holsters if need be and have a couple spare pistols in my shoot bag. 

I shoot Rugers with 4 5/8 s barrels for rifle and pistol targets  then use a Ruger 45 colt with 3 1/2 barrel for shot gun targets.

I have lots of fun and when a clean stage or match comes you can really harass the others who have to use their long guns.

Well, actually Josey shot pistols and a single shot sharps, river ferry rope cutting. SO, we shoot 4 pistols and single shot big bore rifles, no shotgun.

We have 3 categories, real Josey which is BP and single shot, Sort of Josey which is smokeless single shot and lever action, and Josey's girl which is what ever the woman shooter feels comfortable shooting. 

I write the stages so the Josey shooters and cowboy shooters can shoot together.

Ike

Hellgate,

We will have Josey Wales option at the Canby Plainsmen shoot. 4 revolvers needed. We will also have it as an option for the  Plainsmen side matches at the Albany annual, and the State BP shoot in Redmond.

Happy Trails

At Tusco, two pistols are holstered, three  are staged.

At some other places I've shot JW, 4 pistols could be holstered

Depends on the Match Director.

--Dawg

I'm thinking...  I have a cross draw holster.  I could leave off the shotgun slide and use three holsters (with cross draw for shotgun), two pistols holstered for gunfighter style on pistol targets. Then stage pistols for rifle targets. I'd probably shoot them duelist as it's difficult to pick up two staged pistols. 

Warden, The video shows just two Walkers. I sold my two. I can still use the navies & Remingtons.

Red Eye, what precipitated this thread was talking to Big Iron Buster who wants to have the Outlaw Josey Wales as out theme for our next year's wolverton Mtn. Annual with a Josey Wales category.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:21 PM, Warden Callaway said:

Here you can see Doc Hurd shoot gunfighter and duelist. 

I'm seeing Doc shoot duelist and double double duelist. No matter, because I've never seen him shoot pistols one handed! He's one of the smoothest shooters in the game. BTW, he had a birthday about 10 days ago. Happy B-day, Doc!

Warden, it appears you're experimenting with avatars again. "What, me worry?" :lol:

43 minutes ago, Hellgate #3302 L said:

Warden, The video shows just two Walkers.

You get what you paid for. :rolleyes:

Here I think he's up to at least three. Looks like two Walkers, and probably a 62 pocket and it looks like a 60 Army near the end.  I couldn't find the final shootout with the bad guy,  I think he used all four but they were empty.

26 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I'm seeing Doc shoot duelist and double double duelist. No matter, because I've never seen him shoot pistols one handed!

You're right!  I guess I just had it in my mind that he was shooting gunfighter.  Bet he could if he wanted to. 

We shoot with Doc Hurd a lot but don't always get on same posse.   Always great guy to shoot with. 

• 1 month later...

I love to shoot “Josey Wales”. I shoot two Uberti Colt Walkers converted with the Kirst Konverters. I also use the factory converted models, an 1851 Colt in .38 spl as well as an 1860 RM II Colt in .38 spl.

I just shot my last match switching from trailboss to black powder and really enjoyed the fun.

I shoot gunfighter and double duelist during the stage depending on target placement. Sometimes I’ll even switch up the “pistol” and “rifle” guns, using one Walker and one .38 in a sequence. It adds a bit more variety. One never knows which gun is right for the job until it comes time to get ta shootin’.

I am now thinking of putting the c&b cylinders in the Walkers and giving that a go. (I never tried c&b yet) I also have my eye on an 1860 c&b. 

My new leather is going to accommodate five guns which I’m excited about. Might need to wear coveralls as not to loose my britches!

I need to talk to the MD about the shotgun. Would really like to ditch it. 

My Rawton,

If you go to gunfighter C&B beware of the possibility of hot caps landing between your palm and the pistol of your right hand. Being a lefty, the sizzling cap has never been a bother til I shoot double duelist or gunfighter w/the C&Bs.

Archived