SASS Wire Forum

Something new (to me) under the sun......

Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494

:ph34r:  Ruger base pin plunger escaped from its home inside the hollow base pin and locked the hammer at full cock (fortunately on the empty chamber) at the loading table.  NOTHING would move.  Removed base pin & cylinder.  Still locked solid.  At this point, didn't know cause, just knew pistol was hors de combat.

Venemous Doc was kind enough to loan the use of his backup, and I finished the match with it.

After the festivities I took the time to LOOK at the pieces in my cart and noticed the little protrusion I'm used to seeing from the back of the base pin was missing.  Finally concluding the piece (base pin plunger) was inside the mechanism and responsible for it being jammed, I disassembled, cleaned and lubed and reassembled things and found the plunger and spring are obviously not needed if there are no TRANSFER BARS in the revolvers.....

As none of our Rugers used for SASS events have transfer bars, I may remove the plunger/spring assemblies as a preventive move....

Has anyone here experienced this failure, or pre-empted it by removing the assembly?  This malfunction could be really embarrassing at a big match :(.

We still have the t'bars in all 4 of our Rugers.

That said-I've always made sure the base-pin plunger spring that positions the t'bar moves freely.

I have Belt Mtn pins in my .44's, and Ima runs the OEM pins in hers.

We have never had a failure of these pins.

OLG

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

We have never had a failure of these pins.

OLG

Good hearing from you, Lumpy.  Say Hi to Ima for us.

:ph34r:  It was the farthest (nearly) thing from my mind.  Posting so no one experiences this at an inconvenient time----like perhaps during a charge by a species of dangerous game....:o.

Trust me, the plunger pin DID move freely.....:D.

Archived