SASS Wire Forum

Baseball -- race to the bottom

How does a team like the Royals go from playing in the World Series in 2014 and winning it all in 2015, to having the 2nd worst record in baseball just 3 years later?

Royals are running neck and neck with the Orioles at 43W/91L & 40W/95L in the race to the bottom. Regardless of who "wins", the Royals now have the worst record in franchise history.

On the flip side, the Cardinals are doing well in late in the season. :)

They are like the weather in Missouri. Stick around, the weather will change in 30 minutes. Besides, the Royals are just like the Chiefs, The Chiefs can go 16 wins, 0 loss, then lose the first game of the playoff's. Just how it is for those two teams.

Go ‘Stros!!

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Sell off the good players I guess.  :angry:

The Royals won the Series with their bullpen.  Those guys are gone.

I guess so, and at a nice profit for owner David Glass. According to today's local news, the Royals are "losing money". In the meantime, the franchise's value has increased to $1 billion. :wacko:

Watched them play the Cardinals a few weeks ago where they looked like they were just killing time. The losses would be easier to take if they made an effort.

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How does a team like the Royals go from playing in the World Series in 2014 and winning it all in 2015, to having the 2nd worst record in baseball just 3 years later?

Royals are running neck and neck with the Orioles at 43W/91L & 40W/95L in the race to the bottom. Regardless of who "wins", the Royals now have the worst record in franchise history.

Ask the Rangers I guess. :(

JHC

The smaller market teams just don't have a large enough revenue stream to afford the payroll necessary to field a team good enough to be competitive every year.  Even some of the bigger market teams have the same problem, especially when the production of  players that have the large salaries starts to decline.   A notable example would be Alex Rodriguez (AFraud) whose production declined so much that the  Yankees ended up buying him out just to get him off the roster.

11 minutes ago, Chantry said:

The smaller market teams just don't have a large enough revenue stream to afford the payroll necessary to field a team good enough to be competitive every year.  Even some of the bigger market teams have the same problem, especially when the production of  players that have the large salaries starts to decline.   A notable example would be Alex Rodriguez (AFraud) whose production declined so much that the  Yankees ended up buying him out just to get him off the roster.

Yet the Oakland A's are just 2.5 games back of the Astros and have the lowest payroll in MLB. It's not all about payroll.

About time for some new ownership for the Orioles. They were the Eastern Divisional powerhouse for years and were feared by the Red Sox and Yankees, now they are the laughing stock of MLB. 

17 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I suspect that the Cardinals will be sitting on the big sofa, with the Royals, watching the play offs. 

Just now, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You don't think they'll have a wild card spot?

Not if they keep losing and the Cubs keep winning. 

They have lacked a spark all season. Losing games they should have won,  scoring lots of runs on one day, and 

not playing with a ball the next. 

We shall see, but I have strong doubts.

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yet the Oakland A's are just 2.5 games back of the Astros and have the lowest payroll in MLB. It's not all about payroll.

That's true, but it has a way of becoming mostly about payroll when those guys hit the free agent market.

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

No it isn't all about payroll, teams can either buy star players or build them through their farm system.  While I don't follow the A's, I'm fairly certain they've spent quite a bit of time building the team through their farm system, so they will be competitive until too many of their good players reach the point where they can negotiate their salary and most will end up on a different team.  From 2015-2017 the A's came in last place in their division.

Archived