SASS Wire Forum

Starting in with Black powder

Noah Cash

Hilda Billie and I are starting in with the black powder and subs,  needing some advise.   First Is Black MZ sub corrosive like real Black?  We are starting with MZ because real black is hard to get around here.  The county fire restricts storage of it so the local suppliers don't keep it on hand.   As we progress we do have 2 Shiloh Sharps 45-70s and will get into the real stuff.  Black MZ is at the local sportsman's Whse readily available.  

Secondly,  where in the world do you folks find the short handled 12 gauge mops used to clean shotgun chambers between stage?  We re finding lots of the mops that screw on to the short cleaning rods but can't seem to locate the longer mops we see the seasoned black powder shooters use.  

Appreciate any advise or info you can share.

NC

Welcome to the Darkside!  Black MZ is not hard on steel.  I let my firearms sit for days without cleaning after shooting it with no ill effects.  However,  I recommend washing brass cases promptly.  I use Black MZ in shotgun shells because it is inexpensive.  It is also not very hydroscopic and I've had no squibby rounds in humid weather (a problem with some other subs).  For my handgun and rifle rounds I load other powders with smaller grain size for better metering.

BlackMZ is good on guns,  but don't turn your back on it after you use it in a powder measure. Or leave the top off a can. Return any unused to can and put the lid on PDQ.  Clean up dies and powder measure.  Sometimes I think it would be last work to use a dipper. 

I have a Lyman 55 black powder measure I use for BlackMZ and real black.  For BlackMZ,  I shake the can well to break up clumps.  Then I put a funnel on the top of the measure reservoir with a bottom hole about 1/4" diameter.   I then pour the BlackMZ  through the funnel.  This way I catch any clumps and gel packs.  

You'll need to wash out the cases after a match.   I generally decap soon as I get home and have Time to relax some.  I dump them in a plastic jar and cover with water and some Lemi-Shine.  Let set overnight.  Rinse and dry cases and then vibrate in walnut hulls.  

A little BlackMZ  goes a long way!  I cut my loads way back and still get plenty of smoke and power.

Welcome, Noah!

First of all real black is not corrosive. The fouling does attract moisture (hygroscopic) that can lead to rust. If left in a dry environment BP fouling is not a problem. I often go a couple days before cleaning but I have a very dry basement.

I prefer real black but I know lots of Pards use the subs. Plenty of good reasons to. 

I got my chamber cleaning brush from Unique Tek, they call it a Multi-Function Gun Cleaning Brush. Works great, when I remember to use it.

Have fun!

I don’t swab chambers between stages, and my STS hulls shuck out OK.  I do clean guns including the shotgun after a 5 or 6 stage day.

Keep it simple.  Try not swabbing; you may find it is not necessary.  Do it if you must.  

There are adapters that that will allow a mop to be attached to a pistol cleaning rod:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014734045/hoppes-rifle-to-shotgun-thread-adapter-converts-8-x-32-female-to-5-16-x-27-female-thread

I was running a bore snake through shotgun and rifle between stages.  But we have had small possies the last three matches and I didn't have time. But shells shocked and guns kept going.  I'm using STS or Nitro, and AA hulls. I like the old gray AAs better than the red ones. 

Thanks for all the knowledge and advice.  Looking forward to getting into the black powder side of the house!

A 12 ga nylon bore brush, on any handle, and a baby wipe, like a Huggies,, pushed into each chambers 3 times will remove all BP fouling. 

After every stage is best, after every other stage is what I do.

Amarillo Rattler

Real Black is Not Corrosive if you clean your guns in a day or two .

I use APP Not Corrosive and you can use the same bullets you already use .

Just sayin.

Rooster 

1 hour ago, Amarillo Rattler said:

A 12 ga nylon bore brush, on any handle, and a baby wipe, like a Huggies,, pushed into each chambers 3 times will remove all BP fouling. 

After every stage is best, after every other stage is what I do.

Amarillo Rattler

You want either a 12 ga chamber brush or a 10 ga bore brush.  A 12 ga bore brush is too small to clean chambers reliably.

Dutch,  

Hilda Billie and I went to the Rendezvous  in Evanston today and the black powder dealer was there!  they deal in Goex, and good prices as well.  Now I guess I'll have to get going with the real stuff!

Archived