SASS Wire Forum

I got my $900 Colt

Doc Coles SASS 1188

The UPS man brought The second generation (1956) Colt SAA I bought for $900 a while back.  I think I got a good deal, what do you think?  

Ok, I did do a “little” work to it (including a good bit of metal work, engraving, checkered ivories, and refinishing by Turnbull).  The $900 was a drop in the bucket.  I still love the result.  I am just not adding up the bills!

76D90A7E-184D-4773-9FEF-E82F9DD9B547.jpeg

D7485E2E-63C1-4B18-854B-E260F77B9334.jpeg

52 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Looks like Aspen Filly did the scratch'n.

VERY NICE!

OLG

No, the engraving was done by my father, Jerry Blanchard who is a professional engraver who normally does high end jewelry, restorations of antiques, and engraving on very pricy trophies (for some of the most prestigious golf courses in the US).  

Every few years, I talk him into doing a gun for me.  It took more than 40 hours to do the engraving.

If you want to see some of his work, including this gun being engraved you can go to https://jerrycblanchard.wordpress.com/

2 hours ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Absolutely beautiful pistol,  want your 900 back??:D    SCJ

I had my name engraved on it (as well as my fathers, under the grip) so it will never go anywhere.  It’s an heirloom for my son.  It will go nicely with the ivory gripped 44-40 I bought him the week he was born.

8 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

No, the engraving was done by my father, Jerry Blanchard who is a professional engraver who normally does high end jewelry, restorations of antiques, and engraving on very pricy trophies (for some of the most prestigious golf courses in the US).  

Every few years, I talk him into doing a gun for me.  It took more than 40 hours to do the engraving.

If you want to see some of his work, including this gun being engraved you can go to https://jerrycblanchard.wordpress.com/

I have seen your Father's work before-OUTSTANDING!

That makes the gun even more special.

I see the revolver is shown on your Dad's site-NICE.

May I ask how many hours was put into the engraving?

OLG

Beautiful !

Howdy,

What a beauty.

The thing I really like is the screws are worked in to the design.

Some engraving pays no attention to the contours of the hardware.

I love it when a plan comes together....

Best

CR

Very nice.   Well worth the effort to make it extra pretty.

But even more significant to me is how you said you got the gun itself for $900.  

Believe it or not folks, very affordable Colts can be found on the used market.   They might not be pleasant to look at, but they will be shootable.   And if they are so low to begin with, they become good candidates for the what happened to this one.  

Congrats on a great find.  May it bring you many years of happy shooting.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

What a beauty.

The thing I really like is the screws are worked in to the design.

Some engraving pays no attention to the contours of the hardware.

I love it when a plan comes together....

Best

CR

The patterns on the gun are either copies or adaptations of original L.D. Nimschke patterns.  It is not a copy of a single gun but incorporates elements from five or six different guns.  In my opinion, no one was better than Nimschke at engraving the SAA.

Good finds on Colts are not common, but you are correct, deals can be found.  I own quite a few (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gens) and have never paid more than $1200 for one.  Last week, I missed a very early 5.5 inch .45 2nd gen (17xx serial number range) for $1200.

The engraved gun shown above, had no finish, half the trigger guard had been filed away for fast draw, and the checkering on the hammer had been screwed up.  It would have been a fine shooter, but I was looking for a gun to have engraved.  As found, it had no collector value, so it was a good candidate for the project.  It took a lot of metal work before the engraving was done.

Here are a couple of photographs of the gun when I bought it.

IMG_0520.JPG

A453.jpg

5a750f27ef568_ColtSAA45ColtFeb2018.jpg.6e5beb68a2b8c994ab212517bfb5db3a.jpg

Here is an my old family heirloom that was modified for quick draw competition many years ago. Notice the hammer has been cut, bent and welded.  The hammer is also smooth - probably welded over and reconfigured.  The grips are smooth and not from wear.  They have the last 3 digits of the serial number scratched inside so I have no doubt they are original. The throats on the 45 Colt chambers measure 459. 

The action was pretty ragged out.  I got it out recently and replaced the hammer, bolt, hand and springs. It's working pretty good now.  It shoots my C45S loads to POI and pretty tight groups also considering the huge throats. I plan to shoot it in our next match.

30 minutes ago, watab kid said:

it is beautiful , i would not add up the bills either , you got what you want , i think its fantastic , 

I think so too.  I ordered a copy of Theodore Roosevelt’s holster for it from old west reproductions and this winter I will build a copy of a London Colt (pal mal) case to hold it when it’s not out shooting.

Archived