SASS Wire Forum

Southern Quotes

Subdeacon Joe

Shhhhhhh! Don't let the yankees know we're doing it on purpose!

If you go to a family reunion looking to get married, you just might be a redneck!!!:P

Courtesy of a proud Yankee!;)

Rye

Did you know North Carolina created a city just forYankees?   So many were moving to the Raleigh area, they established Cary. Which is  short for Containment Area for Relocated Yankees. . . . . . 

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you go to a family reunion looking to get married, you just might be a redneck!!!:P

Courtesy of a proud Yankee!;)

Rye

Now see, a couple of comments come to mind here.

Having worked at my old job, I've seen family trees that were more like family Christmas wreathes here in Ohio.

Jeff Foxworthy aside, given the origins of the term "redneck," and being of Scots-Irish ancestry, I'll own the title.

I'z born and raised in the "Little Dixie" area of Mid-Missouri where Southern Democrats rulled local politicians until some 20 years ago. So when I travel to the Old South, I can blend right in.

I figure when the waitress asks,  "You want grits with those eggs?, she's really giving you the Yankee test.  If you reply with, "What's grits?",  she knows that you're a Yankee on your first trip south.  If you reply with a simple, "No thanks.", she knows that you're a Yankee that's been south for awhile.   But if you reply,  "Hell yeah!", she'll know you're a son of the South.  Then up it some by asking to have some cheddar cheese melted in. 

The default ice tea is going to be sweet.  Only Yankees ask for unsweetened tea. 

In 2006 a bunch of us Northerners invaded South Carolina for the Shootout at Given's Ferry (of which I won First place FCD) We met a couple down there from Indiana that vacationed there every year. They finally moved permanently to So.Carolina. They told us every year they came down to vacation the folks there called 'em "Yankees". They said now that they moved down there for good they were called "Damn Yankees":lol:

Warden, some of the things I miss from living in the South are grits and the option of real iced tea, not SoCal Bile, as I call it. Who the hell drinks unsweetened tea. They are suspect as far as I am concerned and a sharp eye should be kept on them to ensure they aren’t nefarious. Even then they should not fully be trusted.;)

I also miss good barbecue. 

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Warden, some of the things I miss from living in the South are grits and the option of real iced tea, not SoCal Bile, as I call it. Who the hell drinks unsweetened tea. They are suspect as far as I am concerned and a sharp eye should be kept on them to ensure they aren’t nefarious. Even then they should not fully be trusted.;)

I also miss good barbecue. 

Diabetics drink unsweetened iced tea, north or south!

BTW this whole grits thing is nonsense, Italians have been eating Polenta longer than southerners ever even discovered grits! :wacko:  

https://www.google.com/search?q=polenta&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS718US725&oq=polenta&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2788j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Call it what you will, but, boiled cornmeal is mush.  I grew up eating mush. Hot with milk and sugar or allowed to chill over night in a loaf pan, sliced, fried and topped with butter and sorgum molasses.

7 minutes ago, Noz said:

Call it what you will, but, boiled cornmeal is mush.  I grew up eating mush. Hot with milk and sugar or allowed to chill over night in a loaf pan, sliced, fried and topped with butter and sorgum molasses.

Call it mush if you want but there are several recipes of Polenta that are actually very much like grits! Polenta goes all the way back to the Roman days, pretty sure that's before the South!!:lol:

Well, the people of SW Pennsylvania know all about grits. They also know about corn mush. Two entirely different things in regards to taste. Fried corn mush with real maple syrup...Yummy stuff!

Polenta doesn’t taste like grits either. At least not to me...I guess it needs more alkali to get that hominy grits flavoring. :P

As for tea, I stand by my statement. :D 

10 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Polenta goes all the way back to the Roman days, pretty sure that's before the South!!:lol:

The dish POLENTA might go back to Roman times, but it was not made from corn.

Corn is an American plant, and would not be available for Italian cooking 'til at least the mid 1500s.

From your own link.

>Before the introduction of corn (maize) from America in the 16th century, polenta was made from starchy ingredients like farro (wheat),  chestnut flour, millet, spelt (wheat), and chickpeas.<

43 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The dish POLENTA might go back to Roman times, but it was not made from corn.

Corn is an American plant, and would not be available for Italian cooking 'til at least the mid 1500s.

From your own link.

>Before the introduction of corn (maize) from America in the 16th century, polenta was made from starchy ingredients like farro (wheat),  chestnut flour, millet, spelt (wheat), and chickpeas.<

Polenta not made from corn?? Really?? C'mon corn is corn! True enough it's a different corn but it's still a corn product. Okay so maybe in Roman Times is was different from "modern" corn but still....................

https://www.google.com/search?q=polenta&amp;rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS718US725&amp;oq=POLenta&amp;aqs=chrome.0.69i59j0l5.3127j0j4&amp;sourceid=chrome&amp;ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, the people of SW Pennsylvania know all about grits. They also know about corn mush. Two entirely different things in regards to taste. Fried corn mush with real maple syrup...Yummy stuff!

Polenta doesn’t taste like grits either. At least not to me...I guess it needs more alkali to get that hominy grits flavoring. :P

As for tea, I stand by my statement. :D 

Pat, there are recipes for Polenta that resemble and taste very similar to grits! I grew up eating different kinds of Polenta recipes from my mother, grandmother and aunts. When I first had grits I remember saying "Wow this is almost like Polenta!?

Wheat, corn, gits, polenta, mush ... daggone now I'm gettin' hungry!
It ALL sounds good!

43 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

Someone hung a sign on a little lake in our area that kayakers are staring to use,  "if you hear banjo music, paddle faster"

We have a saying for those hillbilly types. "Banjo runs deep in their veins".

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In 2006 a bunch of us Northerners invaded South Carolina for the Shootout at Given's Ferry (of which I won First place FCD) We met a couple down there from Indiana that vacationed there every year. They finally moved permanently to So.Carolina. They told us every year they came down to vacation the folks there called 'em "Yankees". They said now that they moved down there for good they were called "Damn Yankees":lol:

Damnyankee s all one word.  :rolleyes:

What's the only 3 things a Southerner fears?

1) rattlesnake   2) tornado   3) Yankee pulling a U-Haul

Archived