SASS Wire Forum

Rifle falling off table

Kirk James

Palewolf Brunelle-Could you help us with this one, even though it is an old post,  I would like to know the official ruling.  I am also concerned if the TO should assist the shooter when his/her rifle is in danger of falling .  As you can read there are different takes on what to do.   Was there a ruling on how this should be handled.   At last weekends shoot , the subject was brought up again.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/27/2018 at 10:40 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

This was ruled on 3 years ago.

You are correct in your assessment.

ROC Clarification August 2015

The action of a CRO/TO saving a long gun from falling over, still results in a penalty for the shooter. Basically if the CRO/TO had not been present to save the shooter from a penalty such as this, and the long gun would have fallen over regardless, then the penalty would still apply. The CRO/TO was just there to save the firearm from getting dirt on it!

Note: This is the only way to apply a penalty such as this, as some TOs may not be able to save the rifle from falling, and it would not be fair for those shooters who receive the penalty purely because of the action / inaction of their particular TO.

If shooter sits down his rifle vertically and it is wobbling.  The TO reaches out and steadies it. Is the penalty a minor safety?  The other question is if the shooter throws down their rifle and it bounces and falls the ground but does not break the 170, is it a minor safety or a stage dq for improper gun handling?  Was their a ruling more recent than the 2015 ruling.  

2 hours ago, Kirk James said:

If shooter sits down his rifle vertically and it is wobbling.  The TO reaches out and steadies it. Is the penalty a minor safety?  NO! ( The call as to if it would have fallen is up to the Timing Operator) 

The other question is if the shooter throws down their rifle and it bounces and falls the ground but does not break the 170, is it a minor safety or a stage dq for improper gun handling? 

Minor Safety Violation (MSV) infractions include: - Leaving empty or live round(s) in a magazine or carrier of the long gun in which it was loaded.

- Open, empty long guns that slip and fall – but do not break the 170° safety rule or sweep anyone.

- Cocking a revolver before it reaches 45° down range.

Was their a ruling more recent than the 2015 ruling.  

There will be a an RO course at Eldorado on Thursday Oct 04. 2018

On 8/25/2018 at 11:48 PM, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Yes; if you can do it safely.

Allowing a long gun to fall should never be the preferred choice.

If the muzzle does not break the 170 ; then I would assign the only penalty that applies to what actually occurred;  which would be the MSV.

If my gun is falling; I'll eat the penalty.

I earned it.

But if the TO can safely stop my gun from falling; I shouldnt be penalized further with a dirt filled or broken gun.

This is one of the few times I disagree with Creeker.  If I am given a penalty, I’m fine with it, but if I’m gonna be given a penalty for a gun hitting the ground, I DESERVE to see the gun on the ground.  Personal opinion YMMV

Archived