SASS Wire Forum

Increasing length of pull

Chief Rick

What is the most cost effective means to increase the length of pull on a '73 rifle?

Stock was cut down for a smaller shooter.

Currently there is no buttplate or pad on it, just a leather butt cover.

LOP is currently about 12 1/2".

I'd like to lengthen it at least 1 1/2, maybe 2 inches.

The easiest and least expensive way is to make a filler piece, from most any wood, and put a recoil pad on the end. The pad is not neededfor recoil but to protect the wood underneath from be broken. Cover it back over with leather cover and no one will be the wiser. 

Expensive choice. - Buy a new stock.

Most expensive choice - Have a custom stock made.

4 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The easiest and least expensive way is to make a filler piece, from most any wood, and put a recoil pad on the end. The pad is not neededfor recoil but to protect the wood underneath from be broken. Cover it back over with leather cover and no one will be the wiser. 

You might want to look into shortening your arms..... or not!

Also, ask around your local clubs if anyone saved the piece they cut off.  After a little fitting, a couple screws and glue work great. 

You can then cover with leather, etc if you feel the need.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You might want to look into shortening your arms..... or not!

I think I'll vote NOT to shorten my arms.B)

21 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

This is exactly what I did with my SxS that was way too short.  I glued 3 1x4's together, traced the shape of the butt stock onto the laminated 1x4's and cut it out.  Then I simply screwed the filler piece to the old butt stock and put the leather cover back on.  LOP is now perfect, and it cost me nothing but a few hours time.

No one I've seen ever takes enough time to cut a new crescent shape butt when shortening a stock for a youth shooter.  So it's probably a straight cut, which is easy to cut a new spacer for from an old discarded stock.  Check your friendly local gunsmith for a scrap to start with, if you don't have one.  And yep, complete the project by putting a leather butt cover over it that hides the spacer wood and you don't even have to refinish.

Good luck, GJ

Archived