SASS Wire Forum

how/what do I call this?

Red Cent

Moron

On edit: apparently respect for people in today's culture is not required nor appreciated. That's a sad commentary on today's culture. Political correctness? Hope and change? Offense to real, biological gender assignment? Whatever, it's not so slowly killing this country.

Believe it or not, I was chastised in grade school, back in the sixties, for the same thing in fourth grade in public school.  I went home and told my folks and my father confronted the teacher the very next day.  He explained to her that I was being raised to be a gentleman and if she couldn't handle the show of respect that she'd just better find a way to do so.  "If he doesn't say yes ma'am and no ma'am and I find out about it, I'll kick his ass!!" he explained.  "If you scold or punish him for doing it, I'll sue YOUR ass off!"

She knew my father wasn't joking and she learned a little lesson in culture differences and acceptance!!

I'm sixty-five years old and I STILL use that courtesy!!  (I figure he'd still kick my ass, even from the grave!!!)

I can't believe this goes back to the 60's.  I know for sure it happened in the 80's.  Baby Girl responded to a high school teacher with a ma'am attached.  Said teacher pitched a small fit and embarrassed her in front of the class.  Thirteen years of parochial school & I only called Sister twice.  This was one of them.

I should probably add that it was a YANKEE school! (New Jersey)   I still spoke with a southern drawl that was so thick that one teacher demanded I attend speech therapy!!  She regretted that for a long time after my mom got through with her!!! :o:ph34r::lol:

YaKnow??  Back then, parents took a big hand in their children's education!!  Shame that has changed for the most part!!!

My thought, from the original post, is YANKEE.

Children in the south grow up learning that Ma'am is a term of respect directed to females of all ages. I have called girl-children as young as three "Ma-am".

The only times I've ever had someone be offended they were northeners.

Apparently, up in Yankee-land, "Ma-am" is something you call OLD WOMEN. If you call a 30 or 40 year old woman "Ma-am" they get all upset. I'M NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BE A MA-AM!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The only appropriate way to deal with it is to fire that teacher. 

Or seriously educate her.  ;)

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

My thought, from the original post, is YANKEE.

Children in the south grow up learning that Ma'am is a term of respect directed to females of all ages. I have called girl-children as young as three "Ma-am".

The only times I've ever had someone be offended they were northeners.

Apparently, up in Yankee-land, "Ma-am" is something you call OLD WOMEN. If you call a 30 or 40 year old woman "Ma-am" they get all upset. I'M NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BE A MA-AM!!!!!!

I grew up in New York and was taught to show respect to women of all ages calling them Ma'am. I never had any lady become upset when I called her Ma'am so I guess your general statement about Yankees or Northerners must be a rumor, not fact. I have many Southern friends and have never heard any of them make mention of offending women by calling them Ma'am whether they were Northern or Southern women. I guess fake news is the new Orange!

I called a woman Ma’am recently who got angry. I asked if she preferred that I call her “bi***”? She got even angrier. I figured a woman of her caliber would be proud of that name...I will never understand women...

Reminds me of the time when working for Bank of America in San Francisco about thirty years ago...

I walked into a meeting room and there were a handful of women already seated at the conference table.  I smiled, and said "Good Morning, Ladies!"

One of them whipped about, glared at me, and snapped "We are WOMEN!  We are NOT 'Ladies!!'"

So, maintaining my smile, I merely replied "Oh.  I'm sorry, ma'am.  I guess you aren't, at that."  :rolleyes:

A couple of the other "gals" present tried hard to hide their own smiles....   giggle-or-hee-hee.gif

Is that why Blackwater calls me Sir? The age thing? Come to think of it, it comes out more like "suhr' or does he mean "sewer" ?Oh well he's my friend and he can call me whatever he wants. As long as he keeps calling me.

Imis

Well, there is a complication:  it’s “ma’am” for the married and “miss” for the unmarried. 

12 hours ago, South-Eye Ned said:

it’s “ma’am” for the married and “miss” for the unmarried. 

I will never forget taking Baby Girl to Charleston, SC where I was Ma'am and she was Miss.  She was impressed, and a part of my job was done.

So, rather than being called/referred to as "HEY B***H" she objected to "Ma'am"

Interesting!

In a similar vein, I'm reminded of an incident encountered by my 93 year old Father, at a grocery store.

Going through the cash, he thanked the cashier for his change, saying: "Thank-you dear" to which she responded in a loud voice: "I'm NOT your dear!"

In equal volume, Dad replied: "And I thank God you're not!!" to the chuckles of the customers behind him.

I grew up in a house that really wasn't overly strict on these kinds of things. I did, however, hear my dad call folks Sir and Ma'am an Miss. I do the same. And my mom (NOT Ma) would stand at a door until I opened it for her. My wife does it too when I'm in a hurry or thinking and forget. 

39 minutes ago, Assassin said:

I must insult people on a daily basis and they don't tell me how rude I am. If confronted I'd just tell them to "get over it".

You must not live in “an armed society”. :)

1 hour ago, South-Eye Ned said:

You must not live in “an armed society”. :)

I live in Wyoming, the most armed state in the USA. 

We assume everyone is armed.

On 8/25/2018 at 8:14 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Is that why Blackwater calls me Sir? The age thing? Come to think of it, it comes out more like "suhr' or does he mean "sewer" ?Oh well he's my friend and he can call me whatever he wants. As long as he keeps calling me.

Imis

I bet he used 'suh'. 

I hear that's close to how you pronounce the word for 'stupid' in some tribal language over in Asia.:P

When dealing with Southerners, don't forget that we aren't really polite.  We just talk around things and say things with multiple meanings or ways of interpretation instead of just coming out and insulting folks.

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

I live in Wyoming, the most armed state in the USA. 

We assume everyone is armed.

Alabama has the highest percentage of concealed carry permits in the nation.  Almost a quarter of the population has them.

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Alabama has the highest percentage of concealed carry permits in the nation.  Almost a quarter of the population has them.

Don't need a permit to carry concealed or otherwise in Wyoming. Let me restate this, we have the most registered firearms per person than any other state, we only have 500,000 people and are the 8th largest state. SJ you probably do have more permit holders than we have people. According to the federal statistics Alabama is #7 registered firearms per person, which isn't bad.

9 minutes ago, Assassin said:

Don't need a permit to carry concealed or otherwise in Wyoming. Let me restate this, we have the most registered firearms per person than any other state, we only have 500,000 people and are the 8th largest state. SJ you probably do have more permit holders than we have people. According to the federal statistics Alabama is #7 registered firearms per person, which isn't bad.

Registered firearms? Did you mean something different? I thought the only places a person had to register a firearm we're few and far between.

1 hour ago, Assassin said:

Alabama doesn't have registration.

Their numbers must be Class 3 guns since that's the only ones that can be tracked by registration.

Probably poor terminology by the statistic people (feds). I'm thinking they are firearms purchased and checked through the NICS because there is no registration in this state.

Yes, there are some folks around here with full auto firearms. 

Suppressors are legal for hunting here also. 

This one incident won't change how folks raise their kids.  Looks like the teacher got the attention she was craving.   No law against saying m'am.  Is she confusing the word with mammy from 19c South?  Is she very young or just ignorant?

There are hundreds of teachers with mental problems teaching our children.

As an example....

I was doing a security survey for a grade school security system. I was walking around doing my survey which involves a great deal of looking at doors windows and ceilings. As is my habit to keep from knocking things over I hook my thumbs in my belt while walking around. 

The teacher in question was in charge of a gaggle of third graders in the library. She left her students and walked over and stood in front of me and asked, "Is something wrong with your penis?" in a voice so loud it could be heard in New York. I couldn't believe my ear and asked the her , "what?". To which she repeated herself in an even louder voice.

It was an interesting conversation I had with the woman principal immediately thereafter. 

The Principal's response was..... "Oh my God, She must have forgotten to take her medication".

On 8/25/2018 at 5:14 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Is that why Blackwater calls me Sir? The age thing? Come to think of it, it comes out more like "suhr' or does he mean "sewer" ?Oh well he's my friend and he can call me whatever he wants. As long as he keeps calling me.  :blink:

Imis

Better'n what he calls me.  :o

9 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I bet he used 'suh'. 

I hear that's close to how you pronounce the word for 'stupid' in some tribal language over in Asia.:P

When dealing with Southerners, don't forget that we aren't really polite.  We just talk around things and say things with multiple meanings or ways of interpretation instead of just coming out and insulting folks.

You almost gave it away!!  We play off of other people’s assumptions that we’re less intelligent because of the way we speak. The insults and double meanings go right over their heads, allowing us to avoid shabby displays of bluntness that offend the sensibilities.

Saying “Bless your heart!” often prevents those of us that can be best described as “excitable” from strangling someone who DESPERATELY needs it!!  ^_^ :lol:

In the case of addressing Imis, it is a clear and discernible “SIR!”.  We speak the same Southern language. He is a “SIR”!! As are most of my male friends here.  Nothing more needs be said!

I’m guessing that some women might be mistakenly offended with “Ma’am” because it could be interpreted as “Madam” which in some circles indicates a lady engaged in the operation of a prostitution business.  This too is a sad mistaken assumption, as that interpretation is also not correct.

Archived