SASS Wire Forum

Old Toostone Trivia Questions

McCandless

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Who was Toostone's very own female lumberjack (lumberjill?), and what was her original name (before they told her it was already in use)?

Calamity Jane

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Alpo said:

It's the result of a typo.

Toostone is the town where the Saloon (ACS) is. Back around 2000 there was a long-running story, and someone left the F out of HOOFBEATS. And there were HOOBEATS on the trail. Someone else typed a A instead of a O in TWO, and they'd get iut the cards and play a hand or twa.

I don't recall whether, in the story, the town was to be Toomstone and the M got misplaced, or if it just kinda happened because Toostone went so well with hoobeats.

You had to be there.

Suzee was the one that had the typo.  It was in the original story with the 'mutant worms'.  That's probably what Cass posted back years ago that somebody a couple pages back said he had a copy of.

It was made even more ironic since she was the only professional writer in the bunch back then. 

Bein' the kind and considerate folks we were, we ALL started using 'hoobeats' as a way to rib Suzee about it. 

Suzee was an accomplished, incredibly intelligent Renaissance woman ('recovering' attorney, wrote the Idiots Guides to the SAT and ACT's, backpacked all over south Central Europe and the northern Balkans, hunted bear, ... you get the picture) with a razor sharp mind and wit, along with being a gifted wordsmith- which made ribbing her on something like a typo irresistible to us.  Especially since such mistakes were so rare.

Then Scandinavians became Scandihoovians (I've used it so much that some of my friends and family STILL use it)- although I think that happened because somebody couldn't remember how to spell 'Scandinavians and it was an easy out- and the town of Toostone was just grew out of it.

I think it was Duke Chisum that did the typo on 'twa'.  If it wasn't him, he took it to heart because he used it a LOT.

I remember Blondetta introduced me to Nasty Netters, Querida Kate, Boston John Doucette and Strawberry Lars over the years at HOW. I do see a Facebook posting from Miz Rocky, BJT, Flint, and even Badlands Bud on occasion. What ever happened to Snake Inthe Grass, Chino Hills, or The Chissler?

FB_IMG_1535168629553.jpg

FB_IMG_1535168750863.jpg

Loophole... as i pondered your question.... trying to figure out if it truly was legit, or a typical Saloonitic stir the pot type of thing, a couple kinder hearted folks jumped in and supplied the answer. Welcome to Toostone by the way. As a rule, most questions asked in the Saloon would be answered with the far stretches of everyone’s imagination. Usually it would lead into another story or adventure. 

I'll add to a bit more of the history. 

First off, the Saloon (ACS)(always capitalize Saloon) sat in the Town of Toostone.

The barkeeps name was Bottles. He was a fictional character but a player in a number of storys. Most folks never knew who gave Bottles his voice, but it was Flint and yours truly. We both had the password to write under his name. Gave us aninimnity to keep things stirred up at times ;) 

Molly was Bottles wife/ significant other? Not sure, but she worked behind the bar, generally the only voice of reason in the place.

Black Harris had a wine cellar beneath the Saloon (ACS) it was also the vault where Flint Westwood kept his cigars.

To answer a previous trivia question. Chip built a flying contraption used in a few adventures called the O.L.D.F.A.R.T 

(Ominous Levitating Device For Aerial Reconnisense & Training) It was generally flown by our own “Old Fart” Flint. From that time on any mention of the old fart had to be followed by the clarification of just which “old fart” you were referring too. Hehehe.

Answer to another trivia question: Tex Boden's ranch was inundated with DUCKS.  He was asked if he was going to be able to come to the Fandango shoot in Wisconsin as a bunch of the Saloonatic gang was going. He responded by saying “ If i can get my ducks in a row”. Little did he realize that he'd thrown down the gauntlet. I, along with the help of Black Harris, contacted a number of folks requesting they send Bodie any rubber ducks they could get their hands on. The response was impressive! When I visited his place he showed me two huge boxes filled with rubber ducks. Hehe... He was grumbling about what an idjut BH was..... I just smiled.

Marshal Rusty Bore kept order in the town, took care of any necessary hangings, and locked folks up when their life might be in danger.

Nursifying Nuns resided above the Saloon (ACS) took care of all the patrons ..... ah..... medical needs.

This is getting a bit lengthy.... someone else jump in.

The Lumberjack Lady was Lac E Logger.  Don’t remember her first alias.  Calamity Jane’s first alias was Red River Annie, I figgered she was from southern OK or north TX, turns out there is another Red River way up in Canada.  

Anyone remember when Flint mentioned the time he got his ass kicked by John Wayne?

Sure do pulp... interesting story..... Believe he was on his way to twin Falls with his Amigo Rick Remlin. Good for a chuckle, but Flint needs to tell the whole story. I’m sure I’d forget something. 

2 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

The Lumberjack Lady was Lac E Logger.  Don’t remember her first alias

Very good sir. She originally signed in as Pistol Packin' Mama, but when she joined SASS they told her that one was taken.

well...... we are slowly fade'n into the sun set here..... doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the “Old Saloon”. Probably why most of the Saloonatics don’t stop by too often.... Sad

Anyway.... I’ll try to breathe a little life into this thread by asking another trivia question. 

For a number of years along about December, the Saloonatics held an annual event. What was it called?

Howdy J Mark.... yep, Duke.....Sure do miss him.

one Fandango shoot.... Duke was blazen away when suddenly his front site left for parts unknown.

We looked all over trying to find it to no avail. Duke commented that he'd probably do better without it anyway. 

Next stage bam, bam, bam, bam,bam, clink..... He turned and looked at me straight faced.....

”Yep, better!”

Thanks for posting those photos Michigan Bar. I believe that was EOT 2002 on top and EOT 2003 on bottom. Had a nice dink on my nose from some bullet splatter.

Those were good times. :D

Archived