SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA used in self defense

Trigger Mike

Just read a news article on fox news where a 15 year old girl was trained to shoot by her late father . Her mom was being attacked by a 46 year old boyfriend and she got the colt 45 saa and used it.  This took place in north Carolina 

It is still not a good carry weapon. As we have said. It's better than a pointed stick.

Good for her. Got a link to the story?

A Colt 45 is an excellent home defense gun!

1. Anyone can shoot it. Pull back the hammer.

2. Anyone can make safe. Just open the cylinder. (Can't count the number of woman I encountered who couldn't unload or make safe a pistol).

3. It will take down anyone.

4. It will not kill your neighbor with the same shot...

IMHO

15 minutes ago, Blast Masterson said:

A Colt 45 is an excellent home defense gun!

1. Anyone can shoot it. Pull back the hammer.

2. Anyone can make safe. Just open the cylinder. (Can't count the number of woman I encountered who couldn't unload or make safe a pistol).

3. It will take down anyone.

4. It will not kill your neighbor with the same shot...

IMHO

We are discussing the SA type revolver, not the caliber. ;)

OLG

On 8/21/2018 at 2:06 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

How do you open the cylinder?

Yea, I know... My Bad.

All SA's are different. Some you just open the loading gate.

Have you experienced many inexperienced gun owners try to make a gun safe? It's scary!

I swear, any time you hear the term "mom's boyfriend" it's bad news. Respect to the young lady for doing what was necessary, but I'm sorry she has to carry that memory for the rest of her life.

1 hour ago, Sparky Nelson said:

I swear, any time you hear the term "mom's boyfriend" it's bad news. Respect to the young lady for doing what was necessary, but I'm sorry she has to carry that memory for the rest of her life.

If she had done nut'n-That would have been even worst.

OLG

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If she had done nut'n-That would have been even worst.

OLG

I suspect she recognized exactly that and acted accordingly. Although perhaps not something easy to live with, protecting a parent or child I would think would make it all the more bearable as opposed to haunting one their entire life for the life ending decision they made. She didn't have a choice. I hope she can rest easy in the knowledge she did what she had to.

18 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I suspect she recognized exactly that and acted accordingly. Although perhaps not something easy to live with, protecting a parent or child I would think would make it all the more bearable as opposed to haunting one their entire life for the life ending decision they made. She didn't have a choice. I hope she can rest easy in the knowledge she did what she had to.

As a survivor of 2 gunfights. I say this-it was the other person that made that choice, that forces one to fire.

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

As a survivor of 2 gunfights. I say this-it was the other person that made that choice, that forces one to fire.

OLG

Point well taken. And point exactly correct. Thank you.

6 hours ago, Blast Masterson said:

Have you experienced many inexperienced gun owners try to make a gun safe? It's scary!

Yeah, on "Cops". Some of those guys act like they've never held a gun before. Sometimes I find myself yelling at the T.V. "Push the magazine release first, dummy!"

5 hours ago, Sparky Nelson said:

I swear, any time you hear the term "mom's boyfriend" it's bad news.

I disagree. I used to be "Mom's boyfriend". I was also, "The girls' stepfather!" Twenty two years later, we're all still together.

But I get your point.

1 hour ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Yeah, on "Cops". Some of those guys act like they've never held a gun before. Sometimes I find myself yelling at the T.V. "Push the magazine release first, dummy!"

I disagree. I used to be "Mom's boyfriend". I was also, "The girls' stepfather!" Twenty two years later, we're all still together.

But I get your point.

Same here. Those two grown up kids look at me as their father, the real one rarely has anything to do with them. The two grandkids call me Papa they call the other guy by his real name.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t think anyone here falls into the category of the “Mom’s boyfriend” dirtbags in situations like the one reported.

She’s wanted to shoot me a few times.:D

There have been numerous stories of homeowners shooting or driving off intruders here in Seattle the past couple of years (for such a liberal Hellhole a lot of people here seem to own guns), and in nearly every instance the firearm used was either a .22 rifle or pistol. In none of these cases did the homeowner shoot the perp then end up being killed anyway, contrary to all the stories of gloom and doom among gun enthusiasts about the lowly .22 Long Rifle. The fact of the matter is that nobody who isn't otherwise stoned out his mind wants to be shot, and if you simply have a gun and the willingness to use it you're a lot better off than somebody who merely buys a hi-cap 9mm pistol then later proves afraid to confront the aggressor. With a SAA you may be at a firepower disadvantage, but you are not outgunned unless you're up against a carload of AK-wielding Mexican drug cartel members.

15 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

But I get your point.

I'm a "Mom's boyfriend" too, but I've never been identified as such on the evening news. And I aim to keep it that way.

I have had a few experiences where I used a gun in my home, or just outside, to deal with ne-er-do-wells. Never fired a shot because they saw the gun and that was all that was needed. Of course they did see the face of a guy that wasn't foolin' around so they kind of figured I was serious.

In 4 of those instances I was using a  "single action". 1911 ;)

Not sure I would use a Colt SAA for self defense gun unless absolutely necessary. I would not want it being confiscated and locked in a property or evidence locker until a trial. Now a Ruger on the other hand, no problem. 

:o

On 8/22/2018 at 12:58 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I'm told the mafia uses a 22 due to sound so it must do the job

Wyatt earp used a SAA effectively.  A guy near me used a sumari sword. 

The wise guys use a 22 or 25 and gently but firmly press it to the back of your head or neck. Muffles the sound pretty well.

On 8/22/2018 at 2:44 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

In 4 of those instances I was using a  "single action". 1911 ;)

You have to admit, staring at the noisy end of a .45 is intimidating. I don't imagine most people in that position are much interested in what kind of action is behind it, just what's likely to come out of it.

Archived