SASS Wire Forum

Father Kit

McCandless

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The mods should have giv'n several of those jerks 'vacations' from the forum.

IIRC-A couple had just been reinstated after the forum 'change'........:rolleyes:

OLG

I'd like to be clear on this. I was no longer a Moderator when this happened. Also, we have no way of telling whether they got a warning.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I'd like to be clear on this. I was no longer a Moderator when this happened. Also, we have no way of telling whether they got a warning.

I know you weren't. ;)

Valid point about the warnings. -_-

But-If they were warned-Why wasn't their posts edited by them, instead of a mod deleting them? :huh:

OLG

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I swing through in fits and starts these days.  Might hit the place a couple times a day for a week and then might not even stick my head in at all for a couple weeks- it depends on how work goes and what else I have on my plate. 

By the time I saw the thread on his leaving, it was all over and been over a couple days.  No sense in beating a dead horse or trying to undo a dog-piling that was done and over with.

I’ll have to disagree with you on his leaving. His posts may not have been of interest to a lot of us but to lynch him like they did was uncalled for, IMHO, of course. He was a prolific poster, so what??? Without him and Sub Deacon Joe this here Saloon is one lonely place, YMMV. I’m still waiting for the so called saloonatics to show us neophytes how it’s done, what are you waiting for?????

I too always looked forward to Father Kit Gun's cowboy cartoons.....He brought a fresh and intelligent mindset, providing humor much like Longshot Logan...….

Posts by his detractors always seemed rather dull by comparison...…..I read just for the entertainment value and to keep up with many cowboy enthusiasts that I've grown to consider friends even though we've never met......Sad to lose those that are valued by most.....

37 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yeah-But he's old and funny look'n. :P

Happens to teachers ya know........:lol:

OLG

I dare ya' to say that to Mrs. Doc. Go ahead... I dare ya!!!

19 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just shows you there're no standards here.......:lol::P

OLG

Sure there are. They're very low, but they're standards!

As for me, the only complaint I had was that his stuff would sometimes push threads down a page or two, and cause them to be lost in the shuffle. Annoying when trying to get some answers or opinions, but not a big deal in the great scheme of things. I generally enjoyed his posts, though.

3 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I dare ya' to say that to Mrs. Doc. Go ahead... I dare ya!!!

Only if you drive the get-a-way car.........:lol:

4TRod and I go back a wayz.....:D

OH-I forgot to say he dresses funny too.............:lol:

OLG

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Unfortunately, she drives a WRX, and has been described as "an aggressive driver" more than once, so that may not work so well. If she didn't spend so much time dedicated to riding horses competitively and making students fearful, I'm pretty sure she would be doing autocross or perhaps SCCA racing. A local club keeps doing autocross in the parking lot of our local mall that is nearly dead. I won't take her to see it... Pretty sure she would ask someone to borrow a helmet...

As for him dressing funny... I'll just leave that alone.

I looked forward to Father Kit Gun's cartoons and humorous posts every single day. They were the perfect tonic for a boring day at the office and a great pick-me-up when tired of the daily doldrums. Since he's been gone this forum has become somewhat dull and lifeless and I haven't logged in nearly as much lately. I'd hang around more if there were enough other things being discussed that piqued my interest (like more talk about genuine Old West guns & gear), but honestly there aren't. Sorry I had to say that out loud, but somebody might as well hear it.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ll have to disagree with you on his leaving. His posts may not have been of interest to a lot of us but to lynch him like they did was uncalled for, IMHO, of course. He was a prolific poster, so what??? Without him and Sub Deacon Joe this here Saloon is one lonely place, YMMV. I’m still waiting for the so called saloonatics to show us neophytes how it’s done, what are you waiting for?????

Well, Yul, being one that was around from 97 to 06 there are a few things that are different now than what there was then. Different folks with different ways of hanging out in the Saloon. But the actions and BS that drove Father Kit away would not have been tolerated then. You see, there was plenty of The Cowboy Way then, as there is now. This thread is reflective of that. Oh sure, there were troublemakers and there was even some serious threats and infighting but it all got worked out. 

Back in those days there were plenty of stories and adventure threads. It was all fairly low tech stuff. The ability to post links, photos and videos took way too long on state of the art 56K modems and such. So, the entertainment was manufactured by the the participants. The one thing that I must say was the old days weren’t necessarily better, they were just different. The one thing that remains a constant is the Trailer Park mentality that some folks had then and some folks have now. Back then we ganged up troublemakers and sent them packing by shunning them...now it seems the troublemakers do the shunning and good folks do the packing.

Not the Cowboy Way by any means. This should be a good lesson for us all. This is our Saloon. Let’s not allow good folks to get sent packing by hellions. I am not saying that we should shun folks but most troublemakers and bullies thrive on drama and attention. If no one gets involved in their drama and they don’t get attention that they feel they deserve perhaps they’ll go somewhere that they are wanted...somewhere that isn’t the Saloon...not that I am advocating that anyone be shunned or anything of the sort...

I am rambling. Gotta go.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Yeah, and you wear combat flip flops and smoke half inch cigars.

Saloonatics!

Something else I should mention. That term was coined before I got here and it sure as heck doesn’t belong to any group or subset here now or in the past.

A Saloonatics was a frequent poster in the Saloon. 

A Saloonatic was well liked, in general. 

A Saloonatic spent more time in the Saloon and often never even looked at the other forums or very rarely but that is not a “requirement” as there are no “requirements”.

A Saloonatic didn’t go seek out drama and drag it back to the Saloon. 

A Saloonatic didn’t look down on others that showed up in the Saloon because they weren’t a “Saloonatic”.

If a Saloonatic did look down on someone or try to use their so-called status to belittle someone a friendly reminder by other Saloonatics was usually the course of action. Or a PM telling them to knock it off was in order.;)

Saloonatics would band together and shut down troublemakers and not rely on Mods for that but also would get in a little hot water with the Mods over this...on occasion...once in a while...:rolleyes:

Saloonatics have and had a comradery. Pretty much everyone posting in this thread is a Saloonatic. A couple were posting on here back when I started out in here. I am sure they would agree with what I said here.

When I read a certain post referring to “Saloonatics and the past” it was so hard for me not to jump right in and set that person straight. I should have. I should have told them to knock it off, but I didn’t. I didn’t because I thought a Mod would step up and take care of it. But that didn’t happen. I know why it didn’t but I won’t say. I know if I were still a Mod that BS wouldn’t have happened and I am pretty sure Allie would have taken care of business too, though I don’t speak for Allie.

I, as a Saloonatic, failed Father Kit.

I won’t let that happen again. You can take that to the bank.

Well, I visit this forum frequently and missed the drama regarding Father Kit "Cool Gun" Garth. I must admit I prefer viewing folks personal accounts with life experiences more than copy & paste stuff or links to websites but I have the choice to skip any post not of interest. I will say that at times the number of posts from a few folks seemed extreme but I've never complained or urged a moderator to take action. Some people are just more expressive than others and mean no harm or disrespect. 

15 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

If you don't like what a feller's posting, then just don't read threads that he starts.  I do believe we have an 'ignore' function on this incarnation of the forums.  You put somebody on your ignore list and you never have to see anything they post ever again if you don't over ride it...

Yep, I have 5 on my list. It makes for a more enjoyable visit, and it avoids confrontation.

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When I read a certain post referring to “Saloonatics and the past” it was so hard for me not to jump right in and set that person straight.

Why jump in? I don't see the fun and spirit that the Saloon once had before everyone was booted out, or left out of disgust. Misty Moonshine has kindly done a reboot of the forums, for which I am thankful, but it may be too little too late. Many of the folks that I used to mix it up with have left for good, and even at my urging they won't return. Others rarely post anymore. It seems as if the spirit of the forum was broken and discarded. Just my view from the saddle. YMMV.

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m still waiting for the so called saloonatics to show us neophytes how it’s done, what are you waiting for?????

A feller's bound to have to lay down for some shut eye sometime.  And on Tuesdays, I have to cross a time zone boundary and 'gain' an hour , so I tend to sleep in a little.

Well, I started on the WIRE (there were no subforums, rules questions, prayer requests, jokes and want ads were all just in a constantly shifting jumble) back about late '97 or early '98.  I remember that I had already began lurking on the site before Windows 98 was introduced because my sister bought one of the early '98 machines and was bragging about how much faster it was than my Windows '95.  I remember wondering how much faster the reload on the SASS WIRE would be with a new machine.

Back then, somebody internet savvy showing up was more of an exception than a rule.  The same questions got asked about once a month and, sometimes, twice in a week. On holiday weekends, it might be twice in a day.  About as often, you'd see someone who either posted in all caps (it was easier for them to read) or with no caps or punctuation at all.  The SASS WIRE was, in some cases, the first internet site ever visited by some of the folks and most of us had very little or to no idea what we were doing on the internet or dealing with computers. 

So folks treated each other right, tried to help each other out and were PATIENT when the next greenhorn showed up and the process started all over again. 

That didn't mean giving the figurative eye roll and suggesting that they learn to use the search function.  That didn't mean complaining about the 'waste of bandwidth' repeat questions were.   That didn't mean doing some passive-aggressive crap where there's an accusation of 'someone just running up a post count by posting stupid stuff'.

There was always someone handy to pipe up and say,' What you're doing ain't right and it's not the way we do things around here,' when that kind of stuff happened. 

We, the regulars of the WIRE, understood that there were lurkers out there watching us and deciding whether or not they wanted to associate themselves with the organization and sport.  How we acted on the site had direct impact on that decision making.

Knowing that all we had was the printed word (there were no emojis  short of the keyboard colon+close parenthesis stuff), folks went out of their way to be polite and would readily apologize if there was a misunderstanding. 

In other words, if you screwed up, you manned up and made it right.

But that's the Mod's job, right? 

Well, for years and years, there was exactly ONE Mod.  He was a Wild Bunch member at the time.  If he was gone out of town to a match or on vacation, then the WIRE didn't have a Mod 'til he got back.  Oh, there were folks about that knew him personally and could contact him off the internet.  These were the dial up days.  It ain't like he could whip out his smart phone and log on. 

If things happened, words were said that shouldn't have been said, well, we handled it ourselves.  Dog piling was a great tool.  When you have a dozen folks saying, 'That ain't right.  We don't do things like that 'round here.', it tends to get one's attention.  The instinct seems to be to jump onto the pile.  It just takes one person to speak up and start it all off.

Show that you have a habit of acting like that and you just get.... ignored:D.  Start a thread, get 200 views- but not one response.  That's got to irritate the egomaniacs. 

But start some crap on a thread and get a dozen folks dog piling on you.

We also didn't call folks out for no good reason.  And if we did, then we took what was coming to us or manned up and apologized.

That help you out much, neophyte?

26 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Yep, I have 5 on my list. It makes for a more enjoyable visit, and it avoids confrontation.

Never used the feature here, Okie. 

Never thought there was a need for one here- before now.

This was all about cartoons? Seriously? :blink: Wow.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

This was all about cartoons? Seriously? :blink: Wow.

Essentially.

25 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A feller's bound to have to lay down for some shut eye sometime.  And on Tuesdays, I have to cross a time zone boundary and 'gain' an hour , so I tend to sleep in a little.

Well, I started on the WIRE (there were no subforums, rules questions, prayer requests, jokes and want ads were all just in a constantly shifting jumble) back about late '97 or early '98.  I remember that I had already began lurking on the site before Windows 98 was introduced because my sister bought one of the early '98 machines and was bragging about how much faster it was than my Windows '95.  I remember wondering how much faster the reload on the SASS WIRE would be with a new machine.

Back then, somebody internet savvy showing up was more of an exception than a rule.  The same questions got asked about once a month and, sometimes, twice in a week. On holiday weekends, it might be twice in a day.  About as often, you'd see someone who either posted in all caps (it was easier for them to read) or with no caps or punctuation at all.  The SASS WIRE was, in some cases, the first internet site ever visited by some of the folks and most of us had very little or to no idea what we were doing on the internet or dealing with computers. 

So folks treated each other right, tried to help each other out and were PATIENT when the next greenhorn showed up and the process started all over again. 

That didn't mean giving the figurative eye roll and suggesting that they learn to use the search function.  That didn't mean complaining about the 'waste of bandwidth' repeat questions were.   That didn't mean doing some passive-aggressive crap where there's an accusation of 'someone just running up a post count by posting stupid stuff'.

There was always someone handy to pipe up and say,' What you're doing ain't right and it's not the way we do things around here,' when that kind of stuff happened. 

We, the regulars of the WIRE, understood that there were lurkers out there watching us and deciding whether or not they wanted to associate themselves with the organization and sport.  How we acted on the site had direct impact on that decision making.

Knowing that all we had was the printed word (there were no emojis  short of the keyboard colon+close parenthesis stuff), folks went out of their way to be polite and would readily apologize if there was a misunderstanding. 

In other words, if you screwed up, you manned up and made it right.

But that's the Mod's job, right? 

Well, for years and years, there was exactly ONE Mod.  He was a Wild Bunch member at the time.  If he was gone out of town to a match or on vacation, then the WIRE didn't have a Mod 'til he got back.  Oh, there were folks about that knew him personally and could contact him off the internet.  These were the dial up days.  It ain't like he could whip out his smart phone and log on. 

If things happened, words were said that shouldn't have been said, well, we handled it ourselves.  Dog piling was a great tool.  When you have a dozen folks saying, 'That ain't right.  We don't do things like that 'round here.', it tends to get one's attention.  The instinct seems to be to jump onto the pile.  It just takes one person to speak up and start it all off.

Show that you have a habit of acting like that and you just get.... ignored:D.  Start a thread, get 200 views- but not one response.  That's got to irritate the egomaniacs. 

But start some crap on a thread and get a dozen folks dog piling on you.

We also didn't call folks out for no good reason.  And if we did, then we took what was coming to us or manned up and apologized.

That help you out much, neophyte?

Cleared up a lot of things, along with Pat Riots posts.

21 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Never used the feature here, Okie. 

Never thought there was a need for one here- before now.

Just my opinion. I don't like the dog pile threads. Usually you'll find the same old names in them, especially the Wire. I blocked a few folks and they magically disappeared. Not the kind of folks I would want to hang out with. I like folks that can dish out the sarcasm, and take it in return, just like we do on the range.

14 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Just my opinion. I don't like the dog pile threads. Usually you'll find the same old names in them, especially the Wire. I blocked a few folks and they magically disappeared. Not the kind of folks I would want to hang out with. I like folks that can dish out the sarcasm, and take it in return, just like we do on the range.

Sarcasm?:o

Now why would you ever think someone around HERE would be sarcastic?:D

I've never been fond of dog piling but the technique does have it's place when dealing with bullies and trolls.  If it's good for nothing else, it shows that the opposing view is shared by more than just the single, initial poster.

15 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It got copped hard by the mods to remove the asinine/rude remarks made buy a select few entitled jerks.

OLG

Thanks for posting that thread OLG, I had seen another one when Kit left and still think it's a shame. Nobody forces anybody to read a post you don't care about. What happened was surely not the Cowboy way.

52 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Sarcasm is a dish best served cold. No wait, that’s revenge...or bouillabaisse...I get em mixed up.

No it’s Stone Crabs, yeah. What were we talking about?

C'mon back Father Kit, some of us like your posts and infinite help with computer issues. I didn't read everyone, but found it real easy to skip one if so chosen. Don't let the bullies get ya down.

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Sarcasm is a dish best served cold. No wait, that’s revenge...or bouillabaisse...I get em mixed up.

No it’s Stone Crabs, yeah. What were we talking about?

We were talking about bacon, ya idjit! :wacko:

4 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

We were talking about bacon, ya idjit! :wacko:

Right. This is good cold..or room temp.

2A93E3D3-18EA-4AE2-B50D-C367CE926E31.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

There is no such thing as the cowboy way

What exactly do you mean?

This "game" was founded on, among many things, "The Cowboy Way".

Archived