SASS Wire Forum

Hostiles

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Clay Mosby said:

Just watched it wand I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a slow movie, yes, and my old ears had a hard time following some of the conversations, but I liked it.

ditto what Clay said...

Huh?

I watched it and couldn't believe how slow, boring and predictable it was. And yes, everybody mumbled so badly (especially Christian Bale) that I eventually had to turn on the subtitles. I've seen worse Westerns, but that was definitely not one of the better ones.

They did the "rope tied to the leg" thing on Ulzana's Raid. Same thing with Valdez. It is not done these days, thank goodness. 

The movie was an OK. With CB's terrible history, he turned awfully emotional fast. However, he was a knowledgeable Indian fighter and was a take charge guy. Better'n than the news channel.

"Records of animal injuries weren’t kept in the early days. During the chariot race in the 1925 film Ben-Hur, up to 150 horses were killed.

Yakima Canutt, the legendary Hollywood stunt man (and occasional John Wayne double), created one dangerous procedure involving horses. His Running W device threaded a wire, anchored to the ground, through a ring on the cinch, to the fetlocks of a galloping horse. When the horse reached the end of the wire, his forelegs were yanked out beneath him. The animal fell and launched the rider forwards spectacularly—but the horse was often injured or killed.

Restrictions were put in place after dozens of horses died in 1936’s The Charge of the Light Brigade (star Errol Flynn helped raise the issue). But the last straw came when a horse was jumped off a cliff by the producers of 1939’s Jesse James. The animal drowned; the horse either broke its spine or panicked."

https://truewestmagazine.com/how-many-horses-have-been-injured-during-filming-of-hollywood-westerns/

"The Wikipedia entry explains it concisely: “For the filming of the climactic charge, 125 horses were tripped with wires; of those, 25 were killed or had to be put down afterward. Errol Flynn, an accomplished horseman, was outraged by the animal cruelty and by director Michael Curtiz’s seeming indifference, and attacked Curtiz. They were pulled apart before any serious damage was done."

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2017/11/michael-curtiz-horse-cruelty/

Archived