SASS Wire Forum

Hostiles

The film is now on Netflix.  They made one major error discussing the Battle of Wounded Knee, which would have been only 2 years earlier, and including Major Reno as a participant, who died in 1889.  I think they were referring to the Washita engagement in 1868, which would have fit in the time line of the film, but probably used the more well known Wounded Knee  battle.  High body count.

WAS a good flick!!

I LIKED IT, WELL DONE, ENTERTAINING, BUT DIDN'T LIKE THE CHARACTERS GETTING INTO PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSIONS BASED ON TODAY'S POLITICALLY CORRECT ETHICS AND APPLYING THEM RETROACTIVELY TO HISTORY; THEN ASSIGNING AN ENDING THAT ATTEMPTS TO "MAKE UP FOR THE PAST".  I'M CAPABLE OF VIEWING THE EVENTS AND INTERPRETING THEM FOR MYSELF WITHOUT BEING FED.

3 hours ago, Caliope Cupcake #13981 said:

I LIKED IT, WELL DONE, ENTERTAINING, BUT DIDN'T LIKE THE CHARACTERS GETTING INTO PHILOSOPHICAL DISCUSSIONS BASED ON TODAY'S POLITICALLY CORRECT ETHICS AND APPLYING THEM RETROACTIVELY TO HISTORY; THEN ASSIGNING AN ENDING THAT ATTEMPTS TO "MAKE UP FOR THE PAST".  I'M CAPABLE OF VIEWING THE EVENTS AND INTERPRETING THEM FOR MYSELF WITHOUT BEING FED.

Where have you been? See you at the Western Divisional?

HEY!  GOOD TO SEE YA.  WHAT A COINKYDINK.

I SENT OUT A FEW MESSAGES TO PARDS AND GROUPS ASKING ABOUT THE NEXT EVENT COMING UP, BUT NO ONE ANSWERED ME!  ….EXCEPT YUL :rolleyes:

OF COURSE I'M GOING!  IT'S GUNFIGHT BJL IN OCT. WITH MY POSSE THE COWBOYS WHERE OLD PARDS MEET UP, THROW A FEW BACK,

AND REMINISCE ABOUT GOOD OL' DAYS.

I WASN'T SURE WE WERE HOSTING IT, SINCE MANY THINGS HAVE CHANGED, AND WE DIDN'T HAVE AMBUSH IN SPRING FOR 2 YRS :(

LOOKING FORWARD TO A BIG TURNOUT.

We often think that modern views have been inappropriately inserted into historical themed film. And that’s largely true. But not necessarily always. If you are a serious student of history you know that there were in fact attitudes that conflicted with the government and societal norms of the times, especially in dealing with the western tribes.

Hollywood tends to overblow it and be a bit heavy handed in some films. But some, like Cheyenne Autumn and others did a decent job with the issue I think.

I'm a great lover of the western movie genre, but admittedly, when I saw the previews, I was unimpressed.  I may reconsider based on some of the posts I read here.

Just watched it wand I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a slow movie, yes, and my old ears had a hard time following some of the conversations, but I liked it.

Very good movie. Yes a little slow but generally the scenery and the costuming and horse tack make up for that. The story explores and illustrates some of the prevailing cultural ideologies of time. And not just the white man's. I did not find any modern political correct messages being subliminally delivered to us either. Or maybe I simply chose not to. ;) It was a dark Western but could not have been otherwise, considering the story.

2 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Just watched it wand I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was a slow movie, yes, and my old ears had a hard time following some of the conversations, but I liked it.

Mumbling has been an accepted Hollywood trend for several years. :angry:

On 8/20/2018 at 6:05 PM, Caliope Cupcake #13981 said:

Wow...so well said! Read my mind!

I just watched it again and a line from Captain Joe makes me think that Sgt Metz let Black loose one night and he killed them. When told if he ever "fell asleep on watch again it'll be you hanging from a tree" Metz replied something to the effect of "Everyone deserves a kill Joe, even him."

msgtwith the beard let the 

7 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

I just watched it again and a line from Captain Joe makes me think that Sgt Metz let Black loose one night and he killed them. When told if he ever "fell asleep on watch again it'll be you hanging from a tree" Metz replied something to the effect of "Everyone deserves a kill Joe, even him."

Ok, that makes sense.  They kind of mumbled those lines and didn't make the connection real clear.  

msgtwith the beard let the 

It could have used some trimming. At times I got the impression that Bale was just waiting for the director to yell "cut".

But he didn't so the long soulful gazes and occasional mumble just kept on.

I really enjoyed this one. One of the better ones for me.

11 hours ago, grenadier said:

I gathered that it was the Chief and his son who killed the two Commanches.

Yea, it just was not clear to me, what happened.  I knew I missed something.  I watched it again with the wife and still wasn't sure what happened.

25 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

Sure makes me want to shoot my cavalry colt and 73 carbine at the next shoot. 

Yup! ;)

6C994E1F-447D-472C-9514-ED47106F02FB.jpeg

Watched it; liked it.

Watched it on Pay-per-View TV because I missed it when it was on at the movies.   Thought it was pretty good, but not great.   I did like the use of 7 1/2 inch SAA's and 1873's.  Then it came on Netflix, and iI have watched it three times.  Must have liked it more than I thought.  

On a side note, Valdez is Coming and Ulzana's Raid, both with Burt Lancaster have been on TV a lot lately.  I find myself watching these over and over.   

Both Ulzana and Valdez were brutal with the horses.

6 hours ago, Lastcall Ranger said:

Watched it on Pay-per-View TV because I missed it when it was on at the movies.   Thought it was pretty good, but not great.   I did like the use of 7 1/2 inch SAA's and 1873's.  Then it came on Netflix, and iI have watched it three times.  Must have liked it more than I thought.  

On a side note, Valdez is Coming and Ulzana's Raid, both with Burt Lancaster have been on TV a lot lately.  I find myself watching these over and over.   

Some things you just can't avoid watching when they're on. Rio Bravo was on this morning and I sat down with a cup of coffee. The wife walks by and says, "You know you have that on DVD right?". "Yeah. I know. Honey. But it's on right now...... and I'll just watch it for a minute"

She rolls her eyes. :lol:

2 hours ago, Red Cent said:

Both Ulzana and Valdez were brutal with the horses.

I am certainly no expert on horses, the last one I was on was a pony I had my picture taken on when I was about four years old, and I am, uh, a little older than that now. Do you mean in the filming of the movies or in the story lines?  As far as the story lines, I would tend to agree, but both movies were brutal stories.

Archived