SASS Wire Forum

Home ownership

Whiskey Business

So, I noticed a Huge hole in a soffit the other day. Water damage. Had an adjuster sent out. Insurance will not pay for such and expected that. Just wanted a report because I knew it was gutter problems. Yep, improper installation on that one soffit, gutter was not clogged. Adjuster got on the roof and I have picture proof that the gutter was installed over the shingles. Really! The rest was installed properly so it's localised to a 3 foot span. Thank goodness. Still gonna cost and it has to get fixed yesterday. 

Owning a home is nice...Fix or repair, been there and done that...Last week wife out of the country, helps to get carpets cleaned and the best part...A brand new AC and Heater...Now when I set the temp, it stays there...One degree up or one degree below...And the best part it does it all day and all night...Old unit would drift up two degrees and not cool...I do run floor fans and over head fans also...That way I do not have to set to cold...Just keep that air moving....Now to work on new drive way...

Yep owning a home is a lot of fun...

Texas Lizard 

Sure as hell beats renting. Last time I rented a house was in 1966 right after I got out of the service. Own my place free & clear!

Had to replace a/c and furnace 4 years ago. So worth it for comfort and cost savings since the old units were 20+ years old. Cut my electric bills by 75%! Did not mind paying for that.

But paying for shoddy work that is going to cost me big time!

If you know who installed the gutter it might be worth taking them to small claims court.

Good thing you caught it now. Later it may have been much worse.

Not gonna play with them. They are a franchisee of a well respected national brand that will be interested in my tale of woe. Notice the pic below that clearly shows the gutter being installed over the roof right next to the span that was properly installed with shingles overlapping the gutter. Yep, not in a good mood right now.

I do apologize for the huge pic. Could not figure out how to downsize the i potato pic on my pc.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLWVhYzktNWUyOS0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAOhAX0m83NITLEavgauvrxaBwCyIc4aMs8LRouB8SbAbYg2AAACAQwAAACyIc4aMs8LRouB8SbAbYg2AAGqD7rSAAAAARIAEADy9p4T73ELS4wMN1vKYy5u&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20180813.04&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=zzPtPeXdKU-Xbs_rt4R38HCiD_YnBtYYmlMrXDiNJ9GK1Tja5FdvSWrv2DNIzdgc1DC3p2387oY.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.SbqArL9QVuW5XFWSKpoQjLAo4Ki_-YnN4WJg-cO7nzhAbJHlhehIMISFmL-7Ffw8XAM8C3kCPgVQzXDU4cWpY1ZgazJlNmR7b-VHXlxvf4zkH5Z3grxU6xMkAj1LpBceCroOfetmQeR5JrfFcpfSKG4gDvaoP6Qydyh3GU0EEGmmQQ3cJjAMNfWgchkLsHMtMvQdGSd4jcETc2qtPJ7CABoI6av2hinCiee3hBL_mBUVMBIJCv6prQwoi8gjtKPNPAaeZSZBqLogsNYpdiziZy476JeiN85DwkGFo_TEwGB_s5CIvTOzNzAS6KtllOPTlzT9uGY_LyR2KA60S5YVKg&animation=true

The carpenter bees got into the fascia of my house.  LIttle suckers drilled holes anywhere there wasn't a gutter hanging.   I had all the wood trim around the house replaced with Hardy plank.  No more problems with rot, carpenter bees or peeling paint......ever.  I also had all the wood window trim replaced with PVC trim.  No more rot there either.  I should be good for another 20 years.  Home ownership is not cheap but it beats the alternative.

43 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

When I was selling real estate back in the '70's...between aerospace jobs...we used to have a saying..."Anyone who owns their own home deserves it!" Take that anyway you want!:P

Thanks. We think so. 

My wife and I bought our first house 2 months ago. I'm 64 and she's 62. We don't regret it for a second.

Wife and I designed our Home and I built it , retired from being a General Contractor for some years now ....

Still love our House, but with the last Youngster moving out in 2 weeks I'm not sure we need 5 bedrooms  any more ...

Jabez Cowboy

9 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Wife and I designed our Home and I built it , retired from being a General Contractor for some years now ....

Still love our House, but with the last Youngster moving out in 2 weeks I'm not sure we need 5 bedrooms  any more ...

Jabez Cowboy

More space for new guns and loading equipment. :lol:

Guest Grass Range #51406
14 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

Not gonna play with them. They are a franchisee of a well respected national brand that will be interested in my tale of woe. Notice the pic below that clearly shows the gutter being installed over the roof right next to the span that was properly installed with shingles overlapping the gutter. Yep, not in a good mood right now.

I do apologize for the huge pic. Could not figure out how to downsize the i potato pic on my pc.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLWVhYzktNWUyOS0wMAItMDAKAEYAAAOhAX0m83NITLEavgauvrxaBwCyIc4aMs8LRouB8SbAbYg2AAACAQwAAACyIc4aMs8LRouB8SbAbYg2AAGqD7rSAAAAARIAEADy9p4T73ELS4wMN1vKYy5u&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20180813.04&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=zzPtPeXdKU-Xbs_rt4R38HCiD_YnBtYYmlMrXDiNJ9GK1Tja5FdvSWrv2DNIzdgc1DC3p2387oY.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.SbqArL9QVuW5XFWSKpoQjLAo4Ki_-YnN4WJg-cO7nzhAbJHlhehIMISFmL-7Ffw8XAM8C3kCPgVQzXDU4cWpY1ZgazJlNmR7b-VHXlxvf4zkH5Z3grxU6xMkAj1LpBceCroOfetmQeR5JrfFcpfSKG4gDvaoP6Qydyh3GU0EEGmmQQ3cJjAMNfWgchkLsHMtMvQdGSd4jcETc2qtPJ7CABoI6av2hinCiee3hBL_mBUVMBIJCv6prQwoi8gjtKPNPAaeZSZBqLogsNYpdiziZy476JeiN85DwkGFo_TEwGB_s5CIvTOzNzAS6KtllOPTlzT9uGY_LyR2KA60S5YVKg&animation=true

You say they may be interested in "tale of woe"? So maybe they would do something

I have replaced my furnace, got a new roof and had the house and garage painted all within the last year! Furnace was 30 years old, took a dump in November, got the new roof in June and had the house/garage painted in July! Now to fix the cracks in the driveway!! OY!

For all the downsides to owning a home it sure beats renting by a mile. I really got tired of the landlord constantly posting a fresh notice on my door that they had to come in the next day for some sort of inspection or "routine maintenance" issue. I couldn't even leave a dirty pair of underwear out without worrying about them seeing it. I didn't even bother to keep my guns there and left them at my parents' house during the entire time I was renting. And we won't even get into how much they jacked up the rent every year...

On 8/19/2018 at 11:16 PM, Whiskey Business said:

I apologize for being grumpy. 

I'd say you've got a right.

If you've not started the process already, it might be worth your while to at least contact the installer. I know time is at a premium for most people, but if they make it right, it saves you some problems and maybe some cash. If not, take a few minutes to contact the BBB, and put up a review on Yelp and wherever else you can.

Both home ownership and renting have their pros and cons. I like being in the country. Not a lot of rentals around here in the country. At least, none I would want to live in. I can also paint the walls something other than white, not pay extra for a pet or two, and more. On the other hand, before we built, Mrs. Doc and I rented a condo. Other than being too close to our neighbors, whenever there was a problem, we called and it was taken care of, usually in pretty short order, either by the owner or the condo association. I wrote a check for rent, and that was pretty much it. No worries about property taxes or anything else. At the end of the day, though, with all of the headaches that can come up, I like having our own place, that we can put our personal touch on.

Home ownership is GREAT.  I built the first one from the ground up in the early '70s.  And still have it.   Built the current one on an existing slab and frame.  It had never been finished ( interior ) . . . and roof / siding had deteriorated ( from 1960 ) . . . so when I bought it ( on 5 acres ) I stripped it to the frame and proceeded to build it as I wanted.  I love it.  

The first one see here  . . . The first one. 

And now . . . . . 

IMG_20180328_174857.jpg

The current one.

Yes home ownership does have some issues with maintenance. But the other 2 large expenses (taxes & interest on home loan...if you have a loan) are deductible on your taxes. I live in the country on 6 acres. We have irrigation water and a 2 acre pond fully stocked with fish. My wife and I designed our house and we love. Can't even imagine living in town again. Saved for 40 years so we could be mortgage free when we retired.

100_0933.JPG

House from  pond, NW view.JPG

My wife and I were happy as two kids with a new toy when our newly built house's keys were dropped into our hands.
A friend of ours warned, "You think you own your house.  You'll find your house owns you."

Well ... maybe not exactly ... I snarl and growl every time there's a have-to repair, but that's more a matter of form or formality, it's expected ...

I tell my wife almost every day that I love our house.  After years of living in small homes, we finally bought what I consider to be a dream home for me.  My wife also likes it, but she has to clean more than I.  I try to help as best as I can, and I do many of the fix-it chores as well.  It passed the flooding test last year and the year before with flying colors, and that's more than good with me.  We have a mortgage and we will be paying on it for several years after I retire, but so be it.

Archived