SASS Wire Forum

Center hit

Red Cent

How do you teach a cowboy shooter "just get a piece of the meat" rather than stop, acquire sights for center hit and fire?

Great question. First I made sure my pistols and rifles shoot dead on my point of aim. No kentucky windage. That way as long as my front sight is anywhere in the target I can pull the trigger and hit the target. Certainly helps shoot faster than trying for all bullseyes. 

It's tough to do.  I have a long Bullseye history, thinking if you learned to shoot accurately you could pick up speed later.   Has taken me years to avoid the center but still flinch once in awhile if I see sights are off.   Shooters who couldn't hit but were fast are learning to hit and still picking up speed.   GW

My revolver front sight picture is very high, so I aim for the bottom third of targets. Sight and target acquisition is faster than “proper” sight alignment on center of target.

Results in hits around center of target.

Works for me.

Amarillo Rattler

Rattler, do you put your pinky under the butt of the revolver?

I stress that this is not bullseye, it's 'point and click' . I too aim low, with the handguns, because when I miss it's over the top ,as with most shooters.

7 minutes ago, Throckmorton,23149 said:

I stress that this is not bullseye, it's 'point and click' . I too aim low, with the handguns, because when I miss it's over the top ,as with most shooters.

Where are your hits on a paper bullseye at 30'?

If they go over the top, and it's not the sights. You are 'pushing' the gun.

http://aegisacademy.com/pistol-correction-chart/

OLG

Have them empty their firearms (10-10-4) without any targets.  See how fast they can cycle and transition their guns without having to “aim”.  Go from there.

There are some handguns that point more naturally than others. The plow handled Colt is not one of them unless you can hit the grip the same place every time. Most of us put our little finger under the butt to ensure an almost repeatable low grip every time. This may not remedy the situation totally. The n the practice solves the problem.

12 hours ago, Red Cent said:

Rattler, do you put your pinky under the butt of the revolver?

Full grip duelist and squaw, OMV and NMV.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
16 hours ago, Red Cent said:

How do you teach a cowboy shooter "just get a piece of the meat" rather than stop, acquire sights for center hit and fire?

How do you make a Thirsty horse drink water after you lead  it to the water trough ?   :D 

With pistol's i have always used what i call point shooting.  When i draw i bring my pistol up into my line of site focusing on the target more than the site's themselve's.  You will see your front site but it won't be your primary focal point.  Don't drop your head to the pistol or you find your hit's to be lower on target and closer to misses low.  With practice you will be closer to getting quicker center hit's.  You can see what i mean by focusing on an object in front of you and quickly bring your index finger up into your line of site, you should be able to point rite at what your focusing on.  At the distances our targets are at and with some practice it will become muscle memory.  Took some practice for me as i'm right handed left eye dominant, still one eyeing the rifle.

22 hours ago, Red Cent said:

Let me know when you find out.  After 33 years of playing this game, I ain't learned that trick.

I found that presenting from leather and having the sights lined up is imperative. So draw with eyes closed. If you open your eyes and the sights are lined up then it is just a matter of keeping the gun from rocking while slip hammering or twisting from side to side movement while sweeping the targets. If the sights are lined up then focus can shift to the front sight and you can let em rip with confidence you will hit the target. 

Looks as though the subject is drifting. 

You have five 16" squares 21' in front of you. Draw and shoot a sweep. either way. Some shooters do not learn to pull the trigger as the sights get on the target and keep moving. They have taught the subconscious to stop for a center hit. 

Ah, miss understood ya Red, still havin trouble with that one myself .  It is hard not to stop on target sometimes for fear of a miss.  Maybe just got to retrain the brain not to worry about misses.

3 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Ah, miss understood ya Red, still havin trouble with that one myself .  It is hard not to stop on target sometimes for fear of a miss.  Maybe just got to retrain the brain not to worry about misses.

Yup.  If you want to get faster, you have to shoot faster.  Misses will happen until your eyes catch up.  Takes time and practice.  Most people see way more sight picture than needed.

Archived