SASS Wire Forum

What guns to buy? Uberti vs Miroku 73's

Smokewagon Forty-Five

I am new to this sport and about ready to buy the guns in 45 colt (I have other guns in 45 colt and reloading EQ so I am staying with 45)! I have been to some of the CAS matches and have shot some of the guns but I would like to get some in put from you guys! I was all set to buy the Uberti 1873 but I love the real American walnut of the Japan Miroku Winchester 73! What are pros and cons of the two?  I am also looking at Taylor's & Co. Running Iron's in 45 colt 4.75"! Long range I was looking at the Miroku Winchester 1886 in 45-70 what is your in put on the above guns?? I have a nice (1907) Winchester 97 ready to go but I would also like to get a 87 down the road! I love the lever guns!

+1 on Miroku. Went from a self slicked Rossi 92 45 to the Miroku 45, both 24" rifles.  Might have lucked out but with just cleaning and minimal smoothing on carrier it works slicker than some short stroked Ubertis I have compared them too.  Interior machining appears crisper and cleaner. Lever throw is just under vertical. Full disclosure, I am nowhere near a sub 20 sec shooter, but throw the smoke and fire from BP. 

While humorous it really is fair to say buy both. Fundamentally only you can decide. I prefer the Miroku to any Uberti I’ve ever owned. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the Ubertis and that is not to say the Miroku is slicker or faster. I just prefer it.

I own a Miroku and my wife owns two Ubertis.  They are all good rifles for SASS.  I prefer the Miroku because I also shoot Marlins and the lever throw feels close to my Marlins.  (My Miroku is not short-stroked just for that reason.) I recommend you don't buy now but attend a local match and borrow '73 rifles from others.  They don't need to be 45s.  You can get a good feel from shooting 357-chambered rifles.  Make sure your borrowed rifles have been worked on by competent CAS smiths as stock rifles will not perform well.  Shoot the rifle-owners ammo and offer to pay but expect your offer may be refused.   Buying a rifle is like shopping for shoes.  Many look good on display but after you try a pair on and walk around the shoe store you will notice differences.

34 minutes ago, hearsedriver said:

Do you guys find that one is easier to get parts for than the other or are most interchangable?

The biggest advantages of the uberti is the amount of parts available and the number of Smith’s that work on them. The advantage of the Winchester is the quality of internals, attention to details in the fitting, and personally in the looks department. The Winchester has much better wood and case coloring. 

The Winchester Miroku 73s has taken over at the clubs we shoot at when new 73s are bought. There was initially a shortage of them available and prices ran higher than Uberti.  But that has changed.  There are many new configurations and grades now and prices fall in with those of Uberti.  A local gun shop has a new Winchester Miroku 92 and 73 for $900. 

I have no experience with Uberti 73s.  But I get inside a lot of guns and I'm very impressed with the quality of Winchester Miroku.  

Now,  short stroke....  I don't know if it's necessary on the Winchester and if it's even successfully been done.  I hear rumors that those who were doing it quit.  

I hope you accept replies from gals too. ;)

I've wanted a '73 for ages because everyone brags on how wonderful they are. (I shoot a Marlin.) Although I'm not a fast shooter, I like a slick and smooth gun. (Who wouldn't?) Gun boy (Hubby) balked. He has an Uberti .45 '73 and isn't fond of it.

One day, he was at the neighbor's house and the neighbor's friend had a Miroku Winchester .38 '73 with him. Where I live everyone shoots on their property  It was :wub: at first use and I got one for Christmas 2017.

3 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I hope you accept replies from gals too. ;)

I've wanted a '73 for ages because everyone brags on how wonderful they are. (I shoot a Marlin.) Although I'm not a fast shooter, I like a slick and smooth gun. (Who wouldn't?) Gun boy (Hubby) balked. He has an Uberti .45 '73 and isn't fond of it.

One day, he was at the neighbor's house and the neighbor's friend had a Miroku Winchester .38 '73 with him. Where I live everyone shoots on their property  It was :wub: at first use and I got one for Christmas 2017.

Have you ever tried a Wider Marlin?  Sawmill Mary has one in 44WCF that Wider laid his hands on and did his magic.   I'm sure she's more attached to it than to me!   At one of the matches I showed it to a couple of guys.  I was later notified that it wasn't appropriate to show her Widermatic to others.  She won't shoot my Winchester 73. 

Although I have the Winchester Miroku 73, an original Winchester 73 and an original Winchester 92,  I still like Marlins better.

As you see, you've gotten good answers both ways.  When released, the Miroku was in shot supply and limited variations (just 1) and parts were like Gold.  Both circumstances have changed.  From Miroku you have good selection and parts are easy from Winchester.  The issue of Short Stroke is ..... questionable.  As far as I know to date, the only source of speed parts for Miroku has dried up.  Many don't think it Neds speed parts.  It can be improved my a good action job.

If you think your going to ascend to the top 5% of shooters, the choice is Uberti.  A Plethora of speed parts abound as do speed tuners.  I was, before retirement, one of those speed tuners.  A Uberti can be made to run super fast.  That speed does cost a lot of money.

My best suggestion is don't spend any money.  Not one dime.  Nada.  ZERO.  Attend some matches, talk to other shooters, mooch a chance to shoot their Rifles.  Compare the Miroku offering to the Uberti real world.  Making the wrong choice gets REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE.

PS:  Forgot to add.  Once you make your purchase, the biggest bang for your Buck is a good QUALITY action job.  The springs will ALL need tuning and reducing the springs will prolong the life of the moving parts.  Since your going to shoot .45s, your going to fight gun gas "Blow By"  Insure whom ever does your work understands "Positive Slam Down" and includes it with the action work.

PSS:  Dealing with gun gas "Blow By" is a whole 'nother thread :)

11 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Have you ever tried a Wider Marlin?  Sawmill Mary has one in 44WCF that Wider laid his hands on and did his magic.   I'm sure she's more attached to it than to me!   At one of the matches I showed it to a couple of guys.  I was later notified that it wasn't appropriate to show her Widermatic to others.  She won't shoot my Winchester 73. 

Although I have the Winchester Miroku 73, an original Winchester 73 and an original Winchester 92,  I still like Marlins better.

No. Although I :wub: Widder and Hubby thinks he's a good man, Hubby does all of our gun work.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

My best suggestion is don't spend any money.  Not one dime.  Nada.  ZERO.  Attend some matches, talk to other shooters, mooch a chance to shoot their Rifles.  Compare the Miroku offering to the Uberti real world.  Making the wrong choice gets REALLY REALLY EXPENSIVE.

Howdy Smokewagon, this ^. Go to several matches and compare, get a hold of the MDs and let them know what you are looking for. You may also want to consider 44/40 over the .45, much easier to maintain, especially if you ever decide to shoot BP;) The best combo IMNHO, the .45 pistols and a 44/40 rifleB):D Good Luck:)

1 hour ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Are there any parts on the Miroku 73's that are in need of replacement? Firing pin, loading gate issues? Another Marlin shooter here. 44- 40.

I don't know about Uberti loading gate but the one on the Winchester Miroku looks very robust. 

I bought a mainspring for my Winchester Miroku.    And the lady on the phone walked back to inventory and pulled it out and put it in an envelope while visiting with Sawmill Mary on the phone.

http://www.browning.com/support/parts-service.html

3 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

John Barleycorn sells them

Yep, I’ve bought a couple of them from JB. Great pard to do business with.

I've been shooting a Miroku 73 in 45 for 4 to 5 years , no issues with it . I've short stroked it, thinned the springs and modified the lever safety spring. I'm a mid 20 sec shooter, parts are hard to find luckily I haven't had anything brake

Nice info. on the 73's but what do you guys and gals think about the Taylor's Running Iron's and the 1886 Winchester by Mirokus

10 hours ago, Smokewagon Forty-Five said:

Nice info. on the 73's but what do you guys and gals think about the Taylor's Running Iron's and the 1886 Winchester by Mirokus

21 hours ago, hearsedriver said:

Do you guys find that one is easier to get parts for than the other or are most interchangable?

That's why I'll go with the Uberti everytime! I found it difficult to find parts/short stroke for the Miroku's!

Neither are American made so throw that out the window! Parts for Uberti's are readily available. This is not to say the Miruko's are bad, they're actually very good it's just the parts thing!

If you plan to shoot in any NCOWS matches, I don't think  the Miroku/Winchesters 1873's are legal.   As it was explained to me, these have a shorter stoke than original or Uberti 1873's.  Might want to check with someone who is more familiar with NCOWS to confirm.  

8 hours ago, Lastcall Ranger said:

If you plan to shoot in any NCOWS matches, I don't think  the Miroku/Winchesters 1873's are legal.   As it was explained to me, these have a shorter stoke than original or Uberti 1873's.  Might want to check with someone who is more familiar with NCOWS to confirm.  

This is true, miroku 73s and uberti competition edition 73s both come with a bit of a short stroke and are not ncows legal.

I have 3x Uberti M73 (2 in .45LC, 1x .357) and my wife has a Miroku Winchester M73. Both are exceptionally good guns and a great choice.

I've read here before that the out of the box Uberti 73s have a certain amount of slop when cycling the action. Short stroked were developed to remove the slop and progressed to much shorter strokes. Have the new Winchesters been actually short stroked or is it more that they have been built in a way that merely removes the slop compared to the Uberti?

I have owned several Uberti's and 2 Miroku's  THe Uberti's worked great after installation of short stroke kits, whisper springs and other smoothing/polishing work.  My Miroku I am using now only required me to loosen the mainspring tension screw and polish the carrier and lever springs.  Both are good guns, it just depends on what you like the most. 

Archived