SASS Wire Forum

What would you rather see?

evil dogooder

A drop-in carrier and lever for short-stroking Marlin Mod 94’s would be nice.  Milling the groove and drilling the hole for the ejector would still be necessary.  But it would make the job within reach of a lot more people.

MH for sure! I have one in 38SW. Cool gun!

For a pie-in-the-sky suggestion, how about an 'Gamer' Spencer?  Rework the mechanics to allow cocking with the lever and add an ejector.  Also chambered for short autoloading rounds(like 45acp) so it will hold 10 in the magazine?    

Or, how about a Lamson & Ball Carbine:

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/lamson-ball-carbine-henry-meets-spencer-sort-of/

On 8/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

An American made SXS of good quality at about a $1200 price point would be a smart direction to go. 

Yep.  You know what we need in a competition shotgun.  Making one lightweight, like an SKB, that opens wide and easy right out of the box, would end up in every gun cart.  Plus, would be a lot easier to design and manufacture than an MH.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we are for sure going to make something.  Starting to put paperwork together for a manufactures license.   Anyone with expertise in that area please pm with any help you have to offer. 

Sorry to those who want a shotgun.  That's not going to happen. 

We are starting with making lightened carriers until the paperwork clears.  

As you asked- I don't care about either one.

Would rather see an american made Winchester 92 or 87.

Whatever you decide to do- do it well. And thank you for expanding the options for gun lovers everywhere.

Extra cylinders for genuine Colt's would be on my list. I'd love to have 45 ACP cylinders for my 3rd gens, but the only way I've seen to get them is to buy cylinders in (for example)  .357 and have them rechambered, and the prices quoted are rather high.

18 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Well we are for sure going to make something.  Starting to put paperwork together for a manufactures license.   Anyone with expertise in that area please pm with any help you have to offer. 

Sorry to those who want a shotgun.  That's not going to happen. 

We are starting with making lightened carriers until the paperwork clears.  

Marlin 94 carriers would be good to make.

Along with OEM style levers.

Make'em out of 8620.

Have a replaceable 'pad', to correct/fix the Marlin-Jam on the carrier.

The replaceable pad can have different thicknesses, to aid in timing issues.

OLG

Merwin Hulbert for sure, especially with the skull crusher pommel! 

While I’m already fantasizing, I’d like someone to make the following as well: 

A .44 or .45 caliber Webley RIC or Bulldog 

A hammered 10 or 8 gauge with modern steel barrels

A SxS derringer, something along the lines of the old Rossis. 

A stainless ‘51 Navy cartridge conversion

Yes, I do have weird taste...

21 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

...  We are starting with making lightened carriers until the paperwork clears.  

Consider making one for the 32-20 rifles.  Nobody else make that one.

Evil,

Speaking of Marlins, it is the edge of the lever cam area that precipitates the "Marlin Jam" damage to the carrier.

How about a replacement finger lever with a roller bearing at the cams point?

Or a mod "Kit" for easy  installation.

Ol'  #4

On 8/18/2018 at 3:55 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

A hammered Double in 16 Ga. with 24 inch barrels both choked Improved Cylinder .... Hard chromed bores, deep blued Barrels and Colour Cased action with Blued Hammers....  With No safety ....

And No lug sticking up between the barrels ....

Jabez Cowboy

Yeah on the 16 gauge SxS although that CZ SxS looks pretty dang nice.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:05 PM, Possum Stu said:

Merwin Hulbert for sure, especially with the skull crusher pommel! 

While I’m already fantasizing, I’d like someone to make the following as well: 

A .44 or .45 caliber Webley RIC or Bulldog 

A hammered 10 or 8 gauge with modern steel barrels

A SxS derringer, something along the lines of the old Rossis. 

A stainless ‘51 Navy cartridge conversion

Yes, I do have weird taste...

I dont think it's so weird of a taste. i'm with you on the last 3. BTW you can get kirst conversions for the 51 navy. You have to order them the 1860 army conversions. their website says it's the same cylinder for both. Conversions for the Pietta can use 45 colt but the uberti models are limited to the schofield or cowboy special cartridges. 

i'd like to see some performance parts for the Henry Big Boy. NO ONE is making anything for them. The initial price point on them would help a lot of new shooters to get started and if their were some decent race parts made for them you could end up with a good CAS lever gun for less than what you'd pay for a stock 73 or 66. 

On 9/19/2018 at 9:02 PM, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I dont think it's so weird of a taste. i'm with you on the last 3. BTW you can get kirst conversions for the 51 navy. You have to order them the 1860 army conversions. their website says it's the same cylinder for both. Conversions for the Pietta can use 45 colt but the uberti models are limited to the schofield or cowboy special cartridges. 

Thanks Jack! I’ve considered converting the Pietta 51 I already have, but if I did, I’d want to fully convert it and cut the recoil shield for the kind with the loading gate. I’ve yet to talk myself into the project. Maybe someday.

But seriously, how much fun would those shotguns and derringers be?! 

59 minutes ago, Possum Stu said:

Thanks Jack! I’ve considered converting the Pietta 51 I already have, but if I did, I’d want to fully convert it and cut the recoil shield for the kind with the loading gate. I’ve yet to talk myself into the project. Maybe someday.

But seriously, how much fun would those shotguns and derringers be?! 

I've considered it also! Kirst is temporarily out of the gated cylinders in .45 colt. if yours is a 36 cal you're in business though (https://shop.kirstkonverter.com/?product=000-001-colt-1851-1861-konverter-assembly-uberti-38-lc). If you didnt already have the 51 cap gun you're better off just getting the cimarron 51 conversion (https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1851-richards-mason-38-spl-4-3-4-in-barrel.html) and save $50 plus the headache of fitting the conversion cylinder to the capgun. Or if you prefer the longer barrel you can get the man with no name 51 (https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/man-with-no-name-conversion-38-colt-s-w-special-7-1-2-no-inlay.html). It doesnt have the ejector. still has the rammer. the end of it pulls apart to use to push the spent cartridges out. 

1 hour ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I've considered it also! Kirst is temporarily out of the gated cylinders in .45 colt. if yours is a 36 cal you're in business though (https://shop.kirstkonverter.com/?product=000-001-colt-1851-1861-konverter-assembly-uberti-38-lc). If you didnt already have the 51 cap gun you're better off just getting the cimarron 51 conversion (https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1851-richards-mason-38-spl-4-3-4-in-barrel.html) and save $50 plus the headache of fitting the conversion cylinder to the capgun. Or if you prefer the longer barrel you can get the man with no name 51 (https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/man-with-no-name-conversion-38-colt-s-w-special-7-1-2-no-inlay.html). It doesnt have the ejector. still has the rammer. the end of it pulls apart to use to push the spent cartridges out. 

Yep, mine’s a .36, so that would definitely work! That Man With No Name conversion is great though... add a brace of those is definitely on my gun bucket list! 

On 9/22/2018 at 10:48 AM, ORTEGA KID,SASS#37112 said:

His name is Jason Widmer, his company is Boomsticks arms, see him on facebook, great work reasonable price. All Henry models, highly recommend.

https://www.boomstickarms.com/

I haven’t seen his rifle work, but have handled a set of Rugers that he worked over - VERY nice. I’d love to see what he could do with a HBB. 

1 hour ago, Possum Stu said:

I haven’t seen his rifle work, but have handled a set of Rugers that he worked over - VERY nice. I’d love to see what he could do with a HBB. 

It really is amazing, no more transfer, very slick, never could be as good as a shortened '92, but it's what I have, and he did it up right. He said he can make wifeys 22GB even better, I don't think it needs it.

Archived