SASS Wire Forum

What would you rather see?

evil dogooder

Just curious.    I work in a machine shop that makes high end milled and machined parts so I have access to some cool toys. 

On my breaks I've been toying with making different gun parts and fixing up old toys to shooting condition.   Which got me thinking.

Purely hypothetical  but what would you rather see? 

Neither one.   Both are essentially unicorns.   Those two designs are too complex for an industry that is contracting rapidly (American firearms manufacturing) to be able to make for a pretty limited audience. 

Spend American capital on something worth doing.    A recent success story - the radar based chronograph that is cheap enough for regular shooters to buy.  That combined American requirements and American strengths right now to make a great new product.

Now, can you devise and make a few competition parts for the 73?  Sure, several small companies are doing such things already, and apparently fairly successfully!   (Contractor to the Smith Shop, Pioneer Gunworks, contractor to Cowboys and Indian store, Boogie parts kits, etc).  Do a nice 73 bolt already incorporating an unbreakable extractor and easily replaced cartridge support tab, for example.  Or a 97 replacement bolt with bullet proof extractors.

Good luck, GJ

Garrison the toughest thing I've seen on the Winchester is the only ones i can take measurements from are all worn out. So I'm guessing on numbers

What would I rather see ???

Remember you asked..................

I'd rather see THIS when I out riding my bicycle.........................

2u6mlok.jpg.20ed751b8e575791fd91862fcc1c704d.jpg

Double action Colt Lightning or Thunderer. 

52 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

the toughest thing I've seen on the Winchester is the only ones i can take measurements from are all worn out. So I'm guessing on numbers

Make a replacement bolt kit for the Uberti '73 rifle.  That's the one with the leaded steel modifications made 12 years ago that has resulted in SO many bolts having to be reworked or replaced.  Many of the original Winchesters are still soldiering on!

Getting back on track - Of course measurements are critical.   But attitude is everything.

Good luck, GJ

Mary the amen straight make me smile memorial  shoot is on next month. You should bring one of your quilts and come up for it. Somehow the three gunfighters are getting auctioned off again. You get to choose what we shoot and how we look if you win the bid. 

42 minutes ago, Silver Sam, SASS #34718L said:

What would I rather see ???

Remember you asked..................

I'd rather see THIS when I out riding my bicycle.........................

2u6mlok.jpg.20ed751b8e575791fd91862fcc1c704d.jpg

Nope.... you'd have a heart attack trying to keep up . Ok crash by being distracted

34 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Double action Colt Lightning or Thunderer. 

Nope i looked at the drawings on one of those... no way

Merwin Hulbert for sure. I thought for sure they were going to start producing them again a few years back but was sadly disappointed, I got my deposit back though.

21 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

How about reasonably priced extra cylinders for ruger old armies. 

What do you consider reasonably priced? 

Howdy

Forget about the Merwin Hulbert. Their reputation as the finest revolver of the 19th Century is overblown.

Pocket%20Army%20open%20Top%2004%20no%20S

Not many shooters realize that despite the fact they were quick to unload.......

unloading%2009_zpst0binhhw.jpg

They were slow to reload. You had to load them one at a time through a loading gate no different than a Colt.

reloading%2003_zpsvvumyoow.jpg

Smith and Wesson Top Breaks were a better design because you could empty them and reload all at once while they were broken open.

unloading.jpg

As for the myth about them being more precision made than other revolvers at the time, that's just a myth. S&W could have easily made the MH design if they had wanted to, but they had no need to. The reason MH came up with their unusual design is because S&W controlled all the patents necessary to make a Top Break. Besides, the reason the company that was going to reproduce the Merwin Hulbert design a few years ago failed is because they were underfunded. You need a lot of money up front to launch a new product, even if it is a reproduction of an old design.

Which gets back to the original question. What do you want to make? Parts, or a complete firearm? Lots of money needed to make complete firearms. Probably not so much to just make parts.

We already make parts for some gun companies.  One of the owners is looking to do something that we can make on our own.    

Currently I have been toying with a few carrier designs and different materials. Just stuff that I do for fun.  I've started on my own stlye of short stoke but it's not quite right yet

It will be interesting to see what effect Additive (3D) Manufacturing will have on the arms industry.  Forget the hobby machines now available, I'm talking about 3D machines that are being used in the aerospace industry using high alloy materials.  Think about '73 parts or even a whole receiver!  Never mind all that milling and machining...just write a software program and dribble me a receiver! ;)

Merwin Hulbert. 

It would be really nice if someone would make one out of modern materials.

I could really use a couple of barrels if you ever decide to make any parts.

I have both a SA & DA Frontier Model that are nice & would be fine shooters, but.... both have large cracks at the bottom of the forcing cone area.

46 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

It will be interesting to see what effect Additive (3D) Manufacturing will have on the arms industry.  Forget the hobby machines now available, I'm talking about 3D machines that are being used in the aerospace industry using high alloy materials.  Think about '73 parts or even a whole receiver!  Never mind all that milling and machining...just write a software program and dribble me a receiver! ;)

Just a matter of time, a very short time, IMHO, of course.:)

Sign me up for the Merwin Hulbert.  Whether it loads like a #3 is immaterial.  It is just too freeking KOOL!!  Add in available changeable barrels lengths and with the "Skull Crusher" grip!!  Oh yesssssssssssss.

Sorry Driftwood.  Practicality just doesn't enter this picture :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Smokestack SASS#87384 said:

An American made SXS of good quality at about a $1200 price point would be a smart direction to go. 

Where the barrels 'drop' when you work the lever along with lightened hammer springs and spare firing pins included. ;)

NO-auto safety.......

OLG

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
19 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

I vote for the American made double. 

I vote for  # 20 and the bike.:wub:

17 hours ago, doc roy l. pain said:

How about reasonably priced extra cylinders for ruger old armies. 

$150.00 to $200.00 each.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

$150.00 to $200.00 each.

+1  I tried a Classic Ballistix ROA cylinder.  Didn't like it.  A .457 ball was loose in the chambers, wouldn't shave a ring unless I deformed the ball, (flatten it to make it wider.)   Needed to find a .460 ball or larger.  Cylinders made to Ruger dimensions at a 150.00 - 200.00 price point would be a winner!

A hammered Double in 16 Ga. with 24 inch barrels both choked Improved Cylinder .... Hard chromed bores, deep blued Barrels and Colour Cased action with Blued Hammers....  With No safety ....

And No lug sticking up between the barrels ....

Jabez Cowboy

2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

A hammered Double in 16 Ga. with 24 inch barrels both choked Improved Cylinder .... Hard chromed bores, deep blued Barrels and Colour Cased action with Blued Hammers....  With No safety ....

And No lug sticking up between the barrels ....

Jabez Cowboy

Make mine a 12 gauge please

I would rather see Uberti or Pietta make a 1894 Marlin Cowboy .357B) One thing you could do for parts is modify the Marlin carrier for the Marlin jamb, or better yet make some after market carriers ready to go;) Good Luck:)

Archived