SASS Wire Forum

Lets talk about gunbelts.

Dorado

I'm looking at making a new gun rig. Sort of a hybrid between a huckleberry shoulder holster and a traditional rig. Basically a shoulder holster holding the pistol like a typical crossdraw holding up the belt. More belt suspender than shoulder holster. I'll have it set up where I can switch between the full rig and gunbelt only with normal holsters.

My question comes to the belt itself. I've only ever used "money belts" that is two layers of wide leather doubled over with two smaller pieces actually connecting via the buckle. I'm curious about the ranger style. The two wide ends taper down to accept the buckle. Think of Clint Eastwood's in "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly".

Which do y'all prefer? Money belt or Ranger belt?

Ranger, and IMO, make main portion plenty wide (minimum 2.5").

The main part will be fairly wide. My current one is just under 2.5". It'll be made about the same.

I find wider ones (2.5 - 3") hold holsters better and are more comfortable for long periods.

You can also have a belt that is wide the entire length but tongues are attached to end portions for buckling.  Besides "keeper" for tongue, incorporate a large "keeper" to slide portion of wide belt that "girts" up under front.  This keeper will keep belt from sagging in front behind buckling portion.  Hope that makes sense.

The belt with the tongues the money belt I was describing earlier. My other belts are made that way. They are comfortable, but restrictive. It's hard to bend with mine at least.

22 minutes ago, Dorado said:

The belt with the tongues the money belt I was describing earlier. My other belts are made that way. They are comfortable, but restrictive. It's hard to bend with mine at least.

tapered might be better in that respect but if you like holster more to front you might be restrictive in how much taper you incorporate in ends.

23 minutes ago, cajun bandit said:

are you talking about a tapered belt?

With ranger belts, the ends taper to fit a buckle. Less mass up front. A money belt is like what Billy Boots described with two wide sections ovelapping and thinner tongues attached to the buckle.

I'm just trying to decide on which I want to go with.

19 minutes ago, Dorado said:

With ranger belts, the ends taper to fit a buckle. Less mass up front. A money belt is like what Billy Boots described with two wide sections ovelapping and thinner tongues attached to the buckle.

I'm just trying to decide on which I want to go with.

That description is for a tapered belt. A ranger style belt has the buckle and tongue  sewn onto the main body , which is the same size from end to end. A true money belt is a softer type of leather , folded over and stitched together , with a slot left open on the buckle end to put stuff in the open space where the belt is folded.

Ranger style or tapered style could either be one piece leather or layers sewn together.

Look up the different  types on the Kirkpatrick website. They have good pictures of both styles.

Hope this is some use. Rex :D

A Money belt IS a Ranger style belt, but uses the folded thinner leather instead of a single thicker piece. The other style is just usually called a one piece or a tapered belt. I prefer the money belt style as it is more comfortable for me and seems to stay up better as it conforms to my hips better. My wife prefers that thicker leather better. Go figure.

Also, I'd have to double check the rules, but I don't believe you are allowed to use support for your gunbelt, so I think your combo rig would not be SASS legal.

Most of our leather makers use a ranger belt design, with the integral tongue reduced to a narrow width (narrower than the body of belt).  Tapered would be the wrong way to describe it, IMHO.

They do so because it is what the customer base wants and is used to.  The money belt design is big and bulky to carry (doh) money inside it. Shooters don't often need that width and bulk.

2 3/8" wide main, lined, belt with a reduced tongue of 1 1/2" is what is on all my Mernickle gun belts. and 2" main with 1 1/2" tongue on shotgun shell belts. I would not want mine any wider, it's hard enough to bend over with that size main belt and shotgun belt worn.

Good luck, GJ

Yep.  PLUS ONE to Garrison Joe.  Plus .... I prefer a "contour"  belt as opposed to a straight belt.  Much more comfortable all day than a straight cut belt.  My Sweetie use to say I had a "Girlie Butt" and that's why the contour belt fit so well.  Now, I'm just old and fat.

3 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

A Money belt IS a Ranger style belt, but uses the folded thinner leather instead of a single thicker piece. The other style is just usually called a one piece or a tapered belt. I prefer the money belt style as it is more comfortable for me and seems to stay up better as it conforms to my hips better. My wife prefers that thicker leather better. Go figure.

Also, I'd have to double check the rules, but I don't believe you are allowed to use support for your gunbelt, so I think your combo rig would not be SASS legal.

I checked the rulebook. No mention of any such rule. Besides I see many shooters with dedicated suspender for their rig. Mine won't be much different. Just held up on one side vs. three sides.

3 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Most of our leather makers use a ranger belt design, with the integral tongue reduced to a narrow width (narrower than the body of belt).  Tapered would be the wrong way to describe it, IMHO.

They do so because it is what the customer base wants and is used to.  The money belt design is big and bulky to carry (doh) money inside it. Shooters don't often need that width and bulk.

2 3/8" wide main, lined, belt with a reduced tongue of 1 1/2" is what is on all my Mernickle gun belts. and 2" main with 1 1/2" tongue on shotgun shell belts. I would not want mine any wider, it's hard enough to bend over with that size main belt and shotgun belt worn.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for that Joe. I can build things but I can't always remember what they're called.

My plan is for a 2.5" wide lined belt that sharply tapers to a 1.5" tongue using 6oz veg tan leather. I'll have cartridge loops surrounding as much as I can. I think that may be what I go with.

I can't get a contoured belt as I can't afford a side like that. So it'll be straight cut. I will try to make a matching shotgun slide or belt.

Springfield Slim IS correct, A "Ranger" belt has it's billets sewn to the outside of the body, as in:120B78_41_P1.JPG?sw=980&sh=980&sm=fit

Made famous by that legal outfit in Texas.  

Then you have your "Tapered" billet belts,  Why the name just sorta describes, no?

120183_22_P1.JPG?sw=980&sh=980&sm=fit

and your "Straight" billet belts.  Another rather descriptive name, no?

120F14_22_P1.JPG?sw=980&sh=980&sm=fit

A money belt could be either a Ranger style or straight billet... one with tapered billets might be problematic... but I have seen one that had a little zipper along the inside...  :P 

You could hold other opinions... but, you'd be wrong.;)

I've had professionally built money belts (Ranger style) and tapered belts.  I much prefer the tapered belt.

"Cartridge Belts, Bandoleers, and Pouches
- Bandoleers, cartridge belts, and pouches must be of traditional design (e.g.,
bandoleers must be loose and not secured in any way to prevent movement)."

I was thinking this applied to shoulder holsters also, but I guess not.

It's a holster not a bandoleer. Shoulder holsters have been around for a long time.

A properly built money belt is made from one layer of medium weight leather. Folded and sewn. The money belt is made to be very supple and very comfortable to wear. The holster (with a revolver in it) will actually distort/pressure the top of the belt.  Perfect belt for the period correct cowboys.

Belt money.jpg

Tapered belt

Belt tapered.jpg

ranger belt

Belt ranger.jpg

And there is the double buckle

belt double buckle 2.JPG

I like the Ranger belt..but that's just a preference as I know zip about leatherwork..but what I do know with confidence is everyone needs a belt of some sort or 'ya holsters got no where to live !!

The first two are not mine. I did the third one.

Archived