SASS Wire Forum

coffee

Red Cent

What You'll Need

• 9 1/4 cups water, divided
  •  
  • 3/4 cup freshly ground coffee (medium to coarse grind)
  •  
  • 1 egg
  •  
  • 1 cup cold water
  •  
  • How to Make It
  1. Bring 9 cups of water to a rapid boil in a saucepan or enamel coffee pot.
  2. Meanwhile, stir together ground coffee, remaining 1/4 cup water, and egg in a small bowl or measuring cup.
  3. When water is boiling, carefully pour in the egg-coffee mixture, turning down the heat if necessary to prevent it from boiling over. Boil for 3 minutes. (You’ll see that the coffee grounds will gradually bind together into a single mass that floats at the top of the pot.)
  1. Immediately remove the pot from heat and pour in 1 cup cold water. Let the coffee sit for 10 minutes; the “lump” of grounds will settle to the bottom of the pot.
  2. Pour through a fine-meshed sieve or strainer into cups and serve. The flavor of the coffee grows stronger, without becoming bitter, the longer that it simmers.

"The science behind adding the egg is that it clarifies the coffee, allowing the grounds to easily separate from the water. The egg white helps extract the bitterness from the grounds (while enhancing the caffeine!). The result is a light, clear brew with absolutely no bitterness or acidity and a velvet-like texture that simply glides through your mouth."

https://www.thespruceeats.com/egg-coffee-2952648

I like my recipe.

Load Mr. Coffee with 3 heaping scoops of Folger’s and 12 cups of water. Press “ON”....simple.

Did you know Folger’s has been around since the 1850’s?

Seattle’s Best makes a good breakfast blend as well.

I'm with Pat Riot, except ..

I load my "Cafe Cup" filter with Starbucks (pick your type) ground bulk, stick it in my Brewing machine and hit the button.  Puts the brewed coffee right into my cup!!

Can't wait that long, bought a Bunn. Instant gratifacation   GW

i use Black Rifle Coffee Company's AK47 brand. Grind the beans myself. I used a French Press for years but my wife has had to swear off coffee recently so I bought a single serve drip machine.:( It's not as good as using the press but better than most brands I've tried.

I've always used egg shells in the grounds to cut some of the acidity. I understand it's the calcium that does it.

Howdy,

I might try that but until then......

boil water which has been well shaken to put air into the water.

Measure two rounded spoons(measure spoons not sure of exact volume)

into quart stainless press from starbucks. Current fav is fresh ground DD orig coffee.

Time six minutes or more, press and pour brew into preheated thermos.

Pour in every last drop.

Pour into preheated mug add cream or whatever as desired, sip and solve sudoku

Best

CR

Using a paper filter takes out a lot of the acid. Doubling up on the filter helps, provided it doesn't back up the flow too much. I can't double filter my Mr. Coffee.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:06 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Did you know Folger’s has been around since the 1850’s?

And Billy the Kid was killed in the Maxwell House. :D

6 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Cafe negro. Huevos rancheros en el plato. Papas y frijoles con tostada.

JHC

Muy delicioso!

A few months ago I got turned onto Armenian coffee (think Turkish, but don't say 'Turkish' to an Armenian).

It's ground extra fine, as close to dust as you can get.  I tried brewing it Armenian style, but it's difficult to get the hang of it without boiling over your stove.  So I just use it with a paper filter.  Tasty.  And if it's after 11am, I blend the cultures and add a shot of Jameson.  Mmmmm good.

Archived