SASS Wire Forum

4 engined B's!

The Collings foundation is up at A-C airport! have seen the 17 multiple times since yesterday morning and the 24 once. Music in them big radials it is! Might have seen the P-51 this morning,maybe. Was too far away to be sure, but the engine sound was fairly interesting:FlagAm::):blush:

I've said it before. Merlins, Griffons and Allisons sound like they're slicing through the air. Big radials sound like they're just beating it into submission.

My Brother in Law in Texas has a Cessna 195. He told me Radial Engines don't leak, they just mark their Territory!

Cheers,  Hoss C.

Radials leak a lot of oil past their piston rings while stopped and running.   As I recall the B36's radials each had 150 gallon oil reservoirs & that wasn't always enough to keep a engine running for an entire flight.  Why do you 1st crank them for a few revolutions before turning the magnetos on.  If the ignition is on when cranking is initiated and a cylinder fires the torque generated will bend a rod on a lower cylinder that has oil pooled in the combustion chamber.  EMD locomotive engines have a similar issue except it is coolant that leaks into their cylinders when they are not heated when not running.

When just a lad, I use to sit behind a Righteous Round engine whilst dragging the tires thru the alfalfa and barley and what ever else needed "dusting."  That was gobs of fun.  Especially dusting the Flagger.  Round engines Rule.  Even got to drive the boss's Stagger Wing a couple of times.  That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is an AIRPLANE.

Archived