SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl

gunrunner joe #17093

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl

How many are left. Every time i go to a big match the number are getting less and less sign up for the match. Are we going the way of the buffalo.  Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl is what SASS was when it first start. would like to see more shooter pick up the tradition. and keep us alive.  Classic Cowboy since 2000.  Is there any way to take a headcount and what region  has a good showing Lets keep Classic Cowboy and Cowgirl alive.    

I"m a Classic Cowgirl and have been one since the category was introduced!  

My home club is El Posse Grande  -  Home of the Pennsylvania State Championship.

Plenty of Classics here in the Midwest. I'm not going to start naming us all cuz I'll probably forget somebody but I believe at Land Run last year we had around 20 of us, men and ladies.  Most of the Classic Cowboys being from the Midwest area. (I cannot speak for the Classic Cowgirls' home ranges though.) And them that was shooting Classic were all full-time Classics, not just someone signed up for that category at the match. 

Dantankerous 

Kansas

I'm new to the game, but Classic is the way I'm heading. Because I started with the guns, just because I like them. Shooting 44-40 on the dark side. Just need an external hammer shotgun and a few more costume items.  The thing I see in SASS is lots of options. And don't worry, you'll see more grizzled old coots like me out there.

I'm trying to get there. I finally got all my CC guns. I think I have five items off the costume list. I plan on shooting CC starting in September.

Bill and Cholla,

You're gonna love your foray into CC. It is definitely addictive and the most fun available in CAS.

Welcome to the ranks!

Several Classics I know here in AZ shoot Duelist during the Monthly Club matches simply because of the economics of it.

Others because of the heat don't want to get all dressed up in the summer.

Then they'll break out the big bores and their 5+ uniform items for State Level and above matches.

Still others I know have moved on to other categories because of health issues.

I'm always on the lookout for new blood and recently got a dark side shooter to join the Classic ranks. 

It's not an easy category to fill with the firearm, uniform requirements.

Finding folks that will make that kind of commitment is never going to be a cake walk.

Then again, good things seldom are easy.

JFYI;

EoT - CC

2015 - 22

2016 - 26

2017 - 21

2018 - 25 with 1 No Show.

I was drawn to CC this spring and am shooting it exclusively now. Sure was a hot one today though with all that on but it was great! Even though he does not know it, Sixgun Seamus is the one that I watched at a match and decided that is the way I wanted to do it. Love the full costume and the big bore guns. Actually shoot my hammered double faster than I did the Stoeger single trigger double.

Three pard of mine have been after me to come over to CC, Well I'm taking the leap and going to try it.  Have everything I need. 

T-Town will be first outing, don't laugh to hard. Bulldog

Because of the caliber and dress requirements it’s one of the most competitive categories in SASS and there is plenty who step up for the challenge 

maybe just a few at monthly matches but the big matches there is no shortage 

Both the wife and I shoot Classic. I just switched from age based in August 2017. I always dressed Classic and shot 45's anyway so I switched with some prodding of my goods pards Sixgun Scotsman and Bad Brass. Shot Guns of August this weekend and there were only 4 Classic Cowboys. Yes it's hot with the costuming but if I wanna play cowboy, I wanna look like one too. Loco Leadslinger still kicks butt in Classic in these parts. I was second to him this weekend.

I see quite a few out here. Matter of fact, I was at an annual this weekend with only 64 registered shooters, but 6 of us were classics. Last year at my state shoot, I had 13 classic cowboys and one classic cowgirl registered

From Central Kansas here and I shoot Classic Cowboy, think I started back in 2015 I believe... and I have never looked back.   It truly is a great group of people that I have the honor to shoot with in this category.  Around here it was normally the same few Classic that I got to compete against... and we had a grand time.  But in 2017 I started up the Classic Cowboy Showdown... an even in an event I guess you could say.  I put up a custom belt buckle for first place and try to come up with some other items just for the classics.. and some other special events.   Years past classics got a sweet shot glass, silver coins, copper coins... ect.   Ya just never know what I come up with.   Every other year the event is held at my home club the Butterfield Gulch Gang.. the off years are held out on the trail at another club... this years was held in conjunction with the Nebraska State Match.  You can check out more info on it on the post Classic Cowboy Showdown 2019 here on the wire.  First year, 2017,  we doubled the amount of classics register from the previous year.. to eight.  This year I believe we had 13 classics registered.. but freak winter weather caused a few to cancel.  But I believe word is getting around about the Showdown... so if any of you folks are interest please let me know! 

I hope to have the biggest gathering of the Classics ever at a match someday!  Oh yeah and for next year we rented a TRAIN!

9 hours ago, Boothill Bandit, SASS# 48598 said:

There's quite a few of us up in Orygun.

Yup, what he said...

Bet yer bippy you will! I guess this means I gotta step up my game...

Be there or be square!

If all goes well with the new schofield, I will be switching over to classic cowboy from FCGF. If gunfighter shooting style were allowed in CC, I would have switched a long time ago. I've been dressing the part and shooting the guns almost since I first started.

13 hours ago, StirrupTrouble said:

I see quite a few out here. Matter of fact, I was at an annual this weekend with only 64 registered shooters, but 6 of us were classics. Last year at my state shoot, I had 13 classic cowboys and one classic cowgirl registered

Nice shooting with you this weekend. Good to see you on the mend.

35 minutes ago, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

Classic is large enough this year at Comin At Cha we will be having a senior Classic.

I figured that was because "Little"  Wild Big Bill was too scared to compete against us Kansas Boys? :ph34r:

Uh oh. Them's fightin' words. What on are on earth, little brother, are you trying to stir up?

:P

Typical little brother. Trying to get big brother in trouble. 

:ph34r:

Maybe Wild Big Bill signed up for Senior Classic Cowboy to give you younster's room to show off your skills !!!

Can't wait for Comin At Cha,  will be a great shoot and tons of fun.  T - Bone always puts on the BEST shoots.

Cowboy shooters are some great folks.   I will be lookin for ya Major.:lol:

Archived