SASS Wire Forum

22LR?

Duncan Disorderly

Got an email from a lady that wants to shoot cowboy..says she has 2 22lr pistols and 22lr rifle...

If'n I"m correct, buckaroo/buckerette can shoot 22LR, but adults cannot.

I know it's a local club match, new shooter - so I'm not gonna turn anyone away, just want to clarify the RULES and then ask maybe what would your local club do regarding this? We all know there is a cost, sometimes significant, to starting this hobby and most of us upgrade weaponry, i mean, toys, no, er, expand our collection over time.

Unofficial catigories are up to the match director.  You would need a 22 catigory as you could not score her in a catigory where everyone else is shooting the correct firearms and or caliber for their catigory.

I would let her shoot.  If she hangs around long enough she will probably want to get the proper guns and "poof" you have a new shooter.

Hi D.D.,

I would let her shoot at our local match club.   Lots of people start CAS using .22s where I live.  

She would be in the .22 class,  learning the game, learning the rules, meeting new people, and having fun.  

If she likes it, she'll stay and tell all her friends how great an experience it is.  

All the best,

Mo

:ph34r:  Our club, Robber's Roost Vigilantes, has a rimfire category "I Wish I was 22 Again" where adults can use .22's and any legal shotgun.  We instituted it during the ammo/component famine of a few years ago.  We often use it when recovering from an injury and aren't up to weight or recoil of our customary arms.  

Provides good opportunity for new shooters, too.

At our club not only are the younger folks allowed to shoot .22s, but also some of our older folks.  They are allowed to step down to .22s because of the recoil, health reasons or the expense.  We are here to have fun.

My club, and another local CAS club, instituted a .22 Rim Fire class a couple of years ago just for this type of newbie situation, as well as people with disabilities that might prevent them from shooting standard SASS caliber firearms, and just for something different now and then for the regulars that shoot with us. It requires 2 single action 22 pistols, a 22 lever or pump rifle with external hammer, and a standard SASS acceptable shotgun. It has worked out great for us especially in the dog days of summer when you get an occasional break from picking up brass.

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just an FYI-Spot'n .22 hits on SASS steel, can be a real PITA.

OLG

You got that right!

Spottin' BP hits on SASS steel can be a real PITA too!   HaHa!   :lol:

Mo

On 8/12/2018 at 6:33 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just an FYI-Spot'n .22 hits on SASS steel, can be a real PITA.

OLG

It shouldn't be that hard if spotters are watching for misses. While a hit might be harder to tell, a miss should kick up the same dirt as a 38. I have shot with this kid that uses .22 and he manages to knock down the same plate racks that some guy's .38's won't knock down.

20 hours ago, Slow Mo Dern said:

You got that right!

Spottin' BP hits on SASS steel can be a real PITA too!   HaHa!   :lol:

Mo

I keep hoping that will work out to my advantage, but alas it still has not.

As for shooting .22's, there's a guy I shoot with locally that has really bad arthritis and sometimes shoots .22, but he won't do it if any kids are shooting them though. Most often, he can't finish a whole match anyway, and usually just puts his guns away half way through and sticks around to help run the posse. I'd hate to think of team players like that being driven off because some clubs are too stuck in their ways to allow deviations from the rules.

49 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

It shouldn't be that hard if spotters are watching for misses. While a hit might be harder to tell, a miss should kick up the same dirt as a 38. 

Don't bet on that :excl:  ;)

To many factors involved here.........

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Don't bet on that :excl:  ;)

To many factors involved here.........

OLG

I don't bet on matches I'm involved in. I don't want to risk a lifetime ban from the commissioner. As for spotting .22, it really hasn't been an issue with any of the clubs I shoot at. I honestly have a harder time spotting those anemic mouse phart .38's that you can actually see the bullet from the gun to the target. 

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

I don't bet on matches I'm involved in. I don't want to risk a lifetime ban from the commissioner. As for spotting .22, it really hasn't been an issue with any of the clubs I shoot at. I honestly have a harder time spotting those anemic mouse phart .38's that you can actually see the bullet from the gun to the target. 

Get to other shoots that involve desert silt and/or overgrown or no back berms. ;)

The Suns position really plays into this also.

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get to other shoots that involve desert silt and/or overgrown or no back berms. ;)

The Suns position really plays into this also.

OLG

Well if you can't see the miss, then it's a hit. Problem solved. Next shooter

1 minute ago, Redwood Kid said:

Well if you can't see the miss, then it's a hit. Problem solved. Next shooter

What if there's no 'splat' from the 22 on a freshly painted target, and none of the spotters saw any dirt kicked up?  :huh:

BTDT more than once-it happens......

OLG 

Our club has even let a newbie try out using a double action, as long as they shoot it single action, and use whatever leather they have.

From the welcome, loaners, camaraderie etc, we usually see them back, after hearing that addictive BANG-CLANG.

I have had three daughters in SASS starting at about 8-9yrs old.  Each shot till they started college and moved away for school.  They shot in state, monthly and regional matches.  We do live in the desert but have shot where there was thick brush.  In all those years never a problem scoring hits and misses and never a round coming back at us that anyone mentioned.  Bullett 19707

Howdy,

How about a category where we just imagine how we would do?

Or maybe one where we coach the rookie shooters?

Nah. fergit it.

Best

CR

Archived