SASS Wire Forum

WTB 1887 Shotgun***FOUND***Please Close

July Smith

Thought I’d try here first before looking elsewhere. 

Does anyone have an 1887 Shotgun suitable for SASS that they want to part with?

My first choice would be one of the newer 12ga Chiappa repos that has already had a “Drop Two” modification done to it.  

I’d also consider a functioning original Winchester (I know these are black powder only and have 2-1/2” chambers.)  Again a Drop Two mod would be nice, but I mainly want one that is functioning and mechanically sound.  Just trying to avoid a project, have enough irons in the fire.

At this time I’d like to avoid Chinese versions of the 87.

Feel free to PM what you have and how much you want for it.

Thanks for looking!

9 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

IAC 06 prefix used to be the preferred model... maybe not anymore...?

It still is. The inferior Chinese PW-87 has really muddied the waters on which Chinese 87’s are the good ones.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, July Smith said:

Thought I’d try here first before looking elsewhere. 

Does anyone have an 1887 Shotgun suitable for SASS that they want to part with?

My first choice would be one of the newer 12ga Chiappa repos that has already had a “Drop Two” modification done to it.  

I’d also consider a functioning original Winchester (I know these are black powder only and have 2-1/2” chambers.)  Again a Drop Two mod would be nice, but I mainly want one that is functioning and mechanically sound.  Just trying to avoid a project, have enough irons in the fire.

At this time I’d like to avoid Chinese versions of the 87.

Feel free to PM what you have and how much you want for it.

Thanks for looking!

Hate to bust yer bubble, but I believe ALL of them are Chineese made, regardless of the name on them.

If you find a IAC 87 Coyote Cap Special, thats one to buy. Has all of the updates and modifications, choke tubes, shortened stock with black rubber butt pad, leather lever wrap. A very good gun and I don't think the Chiappa will hold a candle to it.

1 hour ago, Al OVERA, SASS#26238 Life said:

Hate to bust yer bubble, but I believe ALL of them are Chineese made, regardless of the name on them.

Well I’m pretty sure the Chiappa are Italian, but either way the 87 regardless of origin will need some work.

On 8/10/2018 at 2:15 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I have a like new (appears unfired)  IAC 87 with a 06 prefix $699 plus factory feed two  mod.

EEEB39E8-95F4-44D9-A64B-4D223A00FFB4.jpeg

I’ve changed my mind after seeing an IAC in person, if still available I’ll take it.

I've owned three of the IAC 1887 shotguns and they all were excellent SASS shotguns. They have a learning curve but are a lot of fun to shoot. I shot nothing but BP out of mine and I got to the point of being able to win a few times when others stayed at home.

When the 1887 was imported into the USA by a gunsmith named Coyote Cap. They had forged receivers that are much stronger than the original model guns. He found out that they had shipped some cast models against his orders and these are the ones that caused problems. The Cap guns had extra thick barrels so they could be choked. They will outperform any Chiappa  made.  s  

"I’d also consider a functioning original Winchester (I know these are black powder only and have 2-1/2” chambers.)"

I have several Original Winchester 87's and I have NEVER fired BP in them.  I shoot the heck out of them with any modern factory 12 Gauge 2 3/4" dove load, trap / skeet load, target load, etc.

B)

Archived