SASS Wire Forum

Andy Griffith show trivia question

A Pard and I (TN Williams) were discussing the number of times that Gomer and Goober appeared TOGETHER.

I said  TWO times.   Once was in the episode with the 'Fun Girls' and the other time was in the "Return To Mayberry" movie.

Google says they only appeared one time together.   Reckon Google forgot about the 'Return to Mayberry" movie?

..........Widder

Goober was mentioned pretty early in the show but the episode Fun Girls was his first appearance and the only time Gomer and Goober were on the same episode.  They were also in the reunion movie together and at least on episode of Gomer Pyle USMC.

I binge watched every episode of the Andy Griffith show over many days last year...by “binge watch” I mean watched several episodes a night, not all the episodes in a marathon. 

I believe, in the series, that Gomer and Goober were in one episode but I will defer to Google.

It drive my wife nuts that I kept trying to figure out what guns were in the gun rack and how often they changed places. :)

For a short time I had a desire to own a representative set of all the guns they had in the gun rack.

3 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Ah, but those weren't the guns in the Sheriff's Office gun rack.

There appeared to be a Win. 97 in 30-30, a Marlin 39A, A Winchester 1897 or a Model 12 shotgun,  Winchester 70 and what appeared to be a sporterized military rifle. There were a couple of others but I am not sure what they were.

Someone said the sporterized rifle was a Carcano but I don't know about that.

Shux... come to think of it, I think there was a slide-action .22.  Mebbe a Winchester '90, '06, or '62...?  :huh: 

The guns I listed came right off the IMGDB website, It's possible they only listed guns that were used in the show rather than all that were visible.

16 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

The guns I listed came right off the IMGDB website, It's possible they only listed guns that were used in the show rather than all that were visible.

Yep. That’s what I figured. You know, for the longest time I thought Barney had an S&W model 10 until I saw that it was a Colt on that website. After I read that I looked and sure enough I had been wrong for a very long time.:rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Sidekick said:

There was at least one double barrel shotgun in the rack.

Yep, there was. I had forgotten that. It was the gun Barney dropped off the roof in the gangster episode.

57 minutes ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

Yep.  I was going to point out that those were the ones we saw in action.

Image result for andy griffith show rifle rack\

From "answers.com"

They changed some over time, but I can identify at least a Winchester 97 and Winchester 1912 shotgun, and a Winchester 94 lever action rifle. The Sheriff usually kept his Colt .38 revolver in his desk.

The rack held six long guns but it varied from 4-6 through the eight seasons.

From left to right:

Winchester Model 70 .30-06

Winchester Model 21 12 ga. double barrel shotgun w/32"barrel

Mauser 98k 7.92 mm

Winchester Model 94 .30-30

Winchester M1897 12 ga pump shotgun

Mannlicher-Carcano Model 38 7.35mm

At least twice, Gomer was deputized, and had a SxS. Aint no double on that "these were the ONLY guns in the show" list.

Episode where they thought the bank was gonna be robbed. Barney warns the bank guard (a 80[or thereabouts]-year-old man), who, when he hears "bank robbery", snatches out his pistol, which falls apart. It was a Single Action Army. Don't see that on the list, either. Here the crook has disarmed the guard

latest?cb=20140224233755

Thelma Lou's cousin, a champion skeet shooter, comes to visit. Competes against Andy. Both using an over/under. Also not listed.

Opie with the 22 pump at the carnival.

latest?cb=20110128134938

That site AIN'T always right.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep. That’s what I figured. You know, for the longest time I thought Barney had an S&W model 10 until I saw that it was a Colt on that website. After I read that I looked and sure enough I had been wrong for a very long time.:rolleyes:

Yep, there was. I had forgotten that. It was the gun Barney dropped off the roof in the gangster episode.

PAT,

Barney didn't drop that shotgun..... Gomer did.    I may be wrong, but I think Barney called the roof the "Big House Lookout" or something like that.

EDIT:  Barney was doing a "Shake Down" when the 2 prisoners escaped.   Barney runs outside hollering for Gomer, who then dropped

the SG off the roof.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Anybody know the announcer without using google? 

I know.   But I won't tell it right now.

HINT:  He was in one episode and wore a badge.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

PAT,

Barney didn't drop that shotgun..... Gomer did.    I may be wrong, but I think Barney called the roof the "Big House Lookout" or something like that.

EDIT:  Barney was doing a "Shake Down" when the 2 prisoners escaped.   Barney runs outside hollering for Gomer, who then dropped

the SG off the roof.

..........Widder

By golly, you’re right. At least I remembered the double barrel...and the sick feeling I had when it fell. 

Archived