SASS Wire Forum

You ever have one of THOSE days?

Barry Sloe

It started out with one of the toilets leaking around the base.  No big deal, right. Change out the wax ring.  New wax ring installed and snugging down on the hold down bolts.  OOPS, heard the tell-tale crack.  Broke the base and now I need a new toilet (this one was only just over a year old).  Wait to the next morning and go to the big box store and pick out a new toilet.  Pay for the new one and take it home.  Start to unpack it, notice that it had be re-packaged, and found the base of the new one broken.  Back to the big box store, swap to another new toilet (I look in the box before I leave the store this time), and head home to install it.  I use the oversize wax rings and had picked one up at the big box store.  Install the new toilet with the "oversize" ring.  Bingo, it's leaking.  Head to Ace and get their oversize ring.  Pull the toilet, swap wax rings, drop the toilet back in, snug it up, and open the water up.  It started to leak.  Then I noticed that the towel that I had set the toilet on when I pulled it out had been pulled under the front edge when I had dropped it back in place.  A few well placed sailor words and the towel was out.  Snugged down just a little more on the bolts and now no leaks.

For a quick and normally easy job, this one was a cluster.

Barry Sloe

Howdy:

Done similar things in the past - wish I will not do similar things in the future - no guarantees however.  I feel your pain!

STL Suomi

I have had many of "those days"...just in regards to plumbing I have had more than my share. That doesn't count all the other "those days" in regards to other things. ;):D

Just don't get caught in the "Might as Wells".  You know, I've got the toilet up, I might as well put down new tile, since the tile doesn't match the walls now let's paint the walls etc, etc, etc.

4 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

It started out with one of the toilets leaking around the base.  No big deal, right. Change out the wax ring.  New wax ring installed and snugging down on the hold down bolts.  OOPS, heard the tell-tale crack.  Broke the base and now I need a new toilet (this one was only just over a year old).  Wait to the next morning and go to the big box store and pick out a new toilet.  Pay for the new one and take it home.  Start to unpack it, notice that it had be re-packaged, and found the base of the new one broken.  Back to the big box store, swap to another new toilet (I look in the box before I leave the store this time), and head home to install it.  I use the oversize wax rings and had picked one up at the big box store.  Install the new toilet with the "oversize" ring.  Bingo, it's leaking.  Head to Ace and get their oversize ring.  Pull the toilet, swap wax rings, drop the toilet back in, snug it up, and open the water up.  It started to leak.  Then I noticed that the towel that I had set the toilet on when I pulled it out had been pulled under the front edge when I had dropped it back in place.  A few well placed sailor words and the towel was out.  Snugged down just a little more on the bolts and now no leaks.

For a quick and normally easy job, this one was a cluster.

Barry Sloe

I'm tired just reading that!!:lol:

I have been known to keep track of the days of the week by which Monday it is.

You know, Monday, Second Monday, Third Monday,.....

It's sorta like that second breakfast thing in The Lord of the Rings but not nearly as fun.

3 hours ago, Noz said:

Just don't get caught in the "Might as Wells".  You know, I've got the toilet up, I might as well put down new tile, since the tile doesn't match the walls now let's paint the walls etc, etc, etc.

Did that a few weeks ago.  Pulled the other toilet to take out the ceramic tile, put the toilet back in awaiting the new flooring, pulled the toilet again for flooring, and re-installed after the new floor was in.  But, that was sorta planned that way.

BS

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I have been known to keep track of the days of the week by which Monday it is.

You know, Monday, Second Monday, Third Monday,.....

It's sorta like that second breakfast thing in The Lord of the Rings but not nearly as fun.

You mean I am not the only one.

17 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Which one?

Second Monday or second breakfast?

Multiple Mondays

Although I have to admit that I have enjoyed a good breakfast anytime of the day or night.

I was going to relate some of my plumbing nightma...uh, stories, but I decided it’s Monday. I have had enough blood pressure enhancement for today...maybe tomorrow. :D

6 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

I hire the guy.

That's my philosophy.  As Aunt Bee advised: Andy, call the man.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:27 PM, Captain Clark said:

Yours was the toilet, mine was the kitchen sink drain today!:wacko:

The joys of home ownership  :lol:

Friends of ours smiled tolerantly when the wife and I excitedly showed off our brand new house key to our brand new house.

We were like a couple excited kids describing a new toy.

"You think you own the house," David warned us, "but you will find the house owns you."

He's right!

My wife constantly...consistently ensures that I always have one of those days.  It's always something!!

Archived