SASS Wire Forum

WTB - Hornady Projector or Pro-7 press

Just started shooting CAS earlier this year. Currently have a 30 year old Projector.   Learning the hard way, I busted the large pistol primer carrier.  I would just buy the carrier but parts are not available.  So I am willing to buy a second press, but have to have the complete large pistol primer assembly with primer tube, safety shield, etc.  Other accessories have value but are not necessary.   I have all the shell plates and dies that I need.  My strategy is to set up 2 presses one for 38/357 which I can do with my current press, and a second press for 45 ACP and 44 spl/mag which will require switching dies and shell plates.  Thanks for your consideration. 

Happy Trails!

I owned two Projectors years ago. I found out Hornady would let me trade them in on new Lock-N-Load machines. I don't remember the exact cost, but think it was in the $200 to $250 difference on each machine. It was well worth the difference to go forward.

Stretch , I also have one of the old Pro-Jectors that I still use for one caliber. Please PM me and tell me how you broke yours so I can guard against doing the same thing. I didn't know the parts were discontinued. Bummer !! I think I bought mine in mid-80s.

The one thing I load on mine is also large primer.

Thanks , Rex :D

Hey Rex, I am going to post this in case it is a benefit to others and to end this topic.   The part I broke is the large primer punch.  I use Lee carbide 4 die sets and have to change between calibers.  This is not to much of an issue as I replaced the stock Lee lock nuts (with the rubber O rings) with Hornady 0446071 Sure LOC Lock Rings.  This made it easy to replicate the die depth in the press.  I was setting up 45 ACP for the first time and did not follow the Lee instructions for the starting position of the dies.  and I believe the "seating" die was making contact with the shell plate and caused the sub-plate to flex enough that it caught the edge of the primer punch and bent it.  Yep, I was putting a lot of pressure on the press. The primer punch did not break until I tried to straighten it.  I called to check on the press swap that Tulsey mentioned above and found out that Hornady does have parts.  $5 for the punch and $5 for shipping.  Not sure where I heard that they did not keep parts for the older presses, but I would not have called and asked if Tulsey have not mentioned the swap program.   I am going to hang onto the Projector. 

Stretch

My Projectors had constant problems with priming. If yours was and with the new parts will be working then good for you.  The version of the story I had heard about Projector parts not available included the priming parts and also the auto advance paws. Since you decided to keep it you might want to ask Hornady exactly which parts are no longer available

Thanks , Stretch , that is a bit of a relief to find that Hornady still has some parts available. There was somebody here on the wire a while back trying to find the little spring that goes around the plate and holds the cases in the slots , and that part was no longer available , if I remember right.

Mine is still chugging along , and will probably outlast me.

Rex :D

Stretch, Is the part you need the arm that swings over to pick up the primer from the primer tube? If it is I have a spare that I can send you. I might be selling my pro-jector soon if you're still interested in getting an other press. Let  me know if that's the part you need. If you don't have the owners manual, you can download it from here...  https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/

Very kind of you Major Sterner.  That is not the part that I am after.   I would be interested in a second press as long as the part I ordered from Hornady corrects my primer feed problem.  Please PM me with the details  on the press you want to sell.

Thanks, Stretch

Archived