SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Western and Lines

Purdy Good

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Again...love this! Just love this movie! Hard to be Mr. Wales!

Pard!

What about:

”Get ready little lady! Hell’s coming for breakfast!”

”Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!?”

”Would you be rather riding with comancheros Granny?”

Classics!

5 hours ago, Canton Chris said:

Pard!

What about:

”Get ready little lady! Hell’s coming for breakfast!”

”Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!?”

”Would you be rather riding with comancheros Granny?”

Classics!

Oh yeah...absolutely!

Dying ain't much of a Livin boy !

Way too many to have just one.  Several have already been mentioned. Don't think I saw this one.

"You draw on be, either one, and I'll kill you both."

"Bullshit." (gunfight) "I warned 'em."

Last one, I promise!

”You better watch your ass Cobb, these guys will shoot it off!”

I hate rude behavior in man.....won't tolerate it.... 

Woodrow F. Call

Lonesome Dove

MR. GOUDY Thank you, Mr. Barlow.  In your four years as U.S. marshal, Mr. Cogburn, how many men have you shot?

COGBURN I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

MR. GOUDY That was not the question.  How many?

COGBURN . . . Shot or killed?

MR. GOUDY Let us restrict it to “killed” so that we may have a manageable figure.

COGBURN Around twelve or fifteen.  Stopping men in flight, defending myself, et cetera.

MR. GOUDY Around twelve or fifteen.  So many that you cannot keep a precise count. I have examined the records and can supply the accurate figure.
COGBURN I believe them two Whartons make twenty-three.
MR. GOUDY How many members of this one family, the Wharton family, have you killed?

COGBURN Immediate, or—— 

On 8/1/2018 at 11:19 PM, Purdy Good said:

What's your favorite line from it? <3

"Something to do with death."

My favorite line from "Big Jake."

Martha McCandles: "I don't think we have any choice but to give them what they have asked for."

While the movie itself was a bore one good line came out of Kevin Costner's Wyatt Earp. Dennis Quaid as Doc Holliday was threatened by one of the Cowboys who said icily, "I'll be seeing you". The response: "Seeing you would be a welcome change. I hear most of yours got it in the back!".

But my absolute favorite, from Blazing Saddles:

Sheriff: "Hold out your hand."

Waco Kid extends his hand.

Sheriff: "See? Steady as a rock."

Waco Kid sticks out his other hand, which is trembling badly. "But I shoot with THIS one!".

Best (and best line) depends on "comedy" versus "Dramatic and historical." For the latter category, "Wyatt Earp" and the line, "Wyatt, I want to see you," to which Wyatt responds, "If you're not careful you'll see me one too many times."
For comedy, "Support your Local Sheriff" when Harry Morgan watches James Garner shoot through the hole in a washer, that he's covered with cigarette paper after Morgan expressed doubts about his first shot. Morgan then says, "I hope you weren't offended by anything I said earlier."

Gus: "Well, old Bol won't be any trouble - he's like me."

Woodrow: "You mean lazy?"

Gus: "No, I mean mature. . . Bol don't get about excited about a creek crossing anymore 'n I do."

Woodrow: "Hell, you don't get excited about nothing. . . 'cept biscuits, maybe."

Gus: ". . . you bet."

Woodrow: ". . . and [soiled doves]."

Gus: ". . . mm-hmm. . . "

Another one.  It's a throw away, but great line from 2010 True Grit after the ambush at the cabin scene. 

Rooster: "Well, that didn't pan out. . . "

Love both True Grit’s but my favorite line is from the first when Mattie is talking with another woman about which Baptist church they attend and La Boeuf, trying to be friendly, chimes in with “I was raised Episcopal myself” and Mattie snaps back, “Took you for some kinda kneeler.”  

Seamus

Can't help myself, I love this post! Here's one that's a bit more obscure. Know what movie its from? The actor who said it? (And come on...NO Google!:D)

"You know?--A good smelly saloon. My favorite place in the world."

4 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Can't help myself, I love this post! Here's one that's a bit more obscure. Know what movie its from? The actor who said it? (And come on...NO Google!:D)

"You know?--A good smelly saloon. My favorite place in the world."

Kevin Kline - Silverado, said it to Scott Glenn in the saloon in Turley

• 2 weeks later...

After winning at cutting the cards for a "poke" with Lori (Dianne Lane)

Lori: You cheated. I don't know how but I know you did.
Gus: Well, I wouldn't say I did and I wouldn't say I didn't, but I will say this: Any man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough.

(My first post here btw. Hi, y'all)

Welcome Bob!! And great line also

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

It's too difficult to say what my favorite western movie is.  All I can say is that "Big Country" (1958) with Gregory Peck, Jean Simmons, Burl Ives, and Charlton Heston was a recent viewing.  It's one of the few I have on DVD.  Best line from the movie is from Heston, who says near the end of his fist-fight with Gregory Peck in the middle of the night, is, "All I can say, MacKay, is you sure take a long time to say good-bye." 

Best John Wayne movie is.....TMWSLV: "I'm not in the habit of eating my steaks off the floor!"

"The Searchers" Best Line - Ol' Mose:  "I been baptized, Reverend, I been baptized!" 

I've got 3 number 1's:

1. Quigley Down Under, 1. The Shootist, 1. Lonesome Dove / The Return to Lonesome Dove, (counting as one). I'll watch any one any time, any where. Oh ,,, can't forget Josey Wales. OT, I didn't know there was another book about him, The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales. Just read it last month, wish they would've made a movie about that one also.

Isom

My favorite western is a little known one called: Blood on the Moon, from the 1940's.  It stars Robert Mitchum, Robert Preston, Walter Brennan, Barbara Bel

Geddes (from the t.v. show Dallas fame. She was Miss Ellie), and also Tom Tully.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on DVD, but only can be sometimes found on VHS.  Mitchum plays a cowboy named Jim Garry, who is a gunfighter on his way to a job.  He decides later than he needs to change sides in the conflict.  A great, little known western, in glorious black and white.   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Archived