SASS Wire Forum

ELDORADO Battle of the States?

Shooting Bull

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I recall, yes we still do although I have been away in the past. Believe Arizona still has it am I correct on that Creeker & Hell's Comin got it?? Or is it Gawd Awful??

JRJ

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Do we still do this?  Who has the traveling trophy? Who do I need to kick in the knee to give Nevada a fighting chance?

Actually we phased this out a couple years back.

Between finishing up at the range, traveling home to get cleaned up and dressed for the banquet and then travel time back to Boulder for the banquet.

The logistics just became unwieldy for the Board having to get another set of scores figured out and compiled; along with the main match, in the very short time between last shot downrange and the awards banquet.

For those unaware; the Eldorado Battle of the States event was open to any state that supplied 10 or more shooters to the Eldorado event.

At the completion of the event, the top 10 shooters from each state represented had their scores averaged and the state with the best score would win the Battle of the States.

The award was a pistol mounted to a large wooden base and the winning state had three responsibilities; affix a plaque signifying their win, safely store the trophy and return the trophy for the next year's event.

It was a fun game that gave the chance for any state to have bragging rights as the fastest at the event.

47 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That sounds like fun!! Passing the award around to a new state winner every year!! :ph34r:

Welllllllllll..............That was one glitch in the whole thing.  Never seemed to make it to a new state since Arizona usually won.  They cheated though.  They kept bringing better shooters. :blink:

5 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Welllllllllll..............That was one glitch in the whole thing.  Never seemed to make it to a new state since Arizona usually won.  They cheated though.  They kept bringing better shooters. :blink:

I know!! I am from Arizona!! I was rubbing it in making a joke!! :lol:

The pistol on the trophy was great to practice your double tap on, ask Cody:D!  

On 8/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

As far as I recall, yes we still do although I have been away in the past. Believe Arizona still has it am I correct on that Creeker & Hell's Comin got it?? Or is it Gawd Awful??

JRJ

I’ve got it for now.  I keep hoping the tradition will start back up, but alas so far it has not.  

On 8/1/2018 at 12:15 PM, Shooting Bull said:

Thats why it started getting referred to as “the trophy Arizona brought back for a couple of days to let NV look at” :lol:

On 8/1/2018 at 8:20 AM, Shooting Bull said:

Do we still do this?  Who has the traveling trophy? Who do I need to kick in the knee to give Nevada a fighting chance?

Thats a long list.  Are you really willing to kick Sass Kicker and Echo Meadows in the knee? Really? :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Gawd Awful said:

Thats a long list.  Are you really willing to kick Sass Kicker and Echo Meadows in the knee? Really? :ph34r:

Obviously no. But if those were the only two shooters representing Arizona and the other eight were DNFs we might be able to squeak out a win. :D

Maybe if we all can get  together at El Dorado 2018 and make some changes to this maybe  some way,  some how we could get it The Tradition started again.

What says yeh all?

Jackrabbit Joe

17 minutes ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Maybe if we all can get  together at El Dorado 2018 and make some changes to this maybe  some way,  some how we could get it The Tradition started again.

What says yeh all?

Jackrabbit Joe

Sounds good ... but think of something that doesn't add stress/labor for the management team ... and ... something that works with the wide spread of attendance (from each state). Most of the states could never make a minimum attendance volume to participate. 

We need something where each state picks a champion to compete for them ... 

6 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Sounds good ... but think of something that doesn't add stress/labor for the management team ... and ... something that works with the wide spread of attendance (from each state). Most of the states could never make a minimum attendance volume to participate. 

We need something where each state picks a champion to compete for them ... 

The award was never meant to be all encompassing for everybody. It was just a fun thing for the shooters from the neighboring States (California, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, and Nevada) or any other State that could field at least 10 shooters,  to have a little friendly local competition and bragging rights. The award has to be returned to us every year at Eldorado. This would make if difficult for someone in Hawaii to adhere to and accomplish every year.

Nevada came close to winning it one year when we managed to recruit a couple of shooters from Northern Nevada to help out, but alas it was not enough to overcome the AVERAGE talent of Arizona shooters........ Sigh......

8 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Obviously no. But if those were the only two shooters representing Arizona and the other eight were DNFs we might be able to squeak out a win. :D

I hear Tanya Harding lives up in the Vegas area maybe you folks could hire her for “knee capping lessons” and then when the Zonies show up problem solved.:D

3 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I hear Tanya Harding lives up in the Vegas area maybe you folks could hire her for “knee capping lessons” and then when the Zonies show up problem solved.:D

Wouldn’t help, she used to live about a mile from me in Vancouver Wa, and dated a friend of mine for a while, I know all the tips.:ph34r:

This is a suggestion I feel may be worth trying.

Instead of the top ten shooters from each state being selected, why don't everyone from the states place there shooters badge into the hat and have those hats with each state picked at random ten shooters from each state and use their total score from the match. The highest score from those shooters will then determine who gets the win for the Trophy.

You have to look at the states shooters: Out of total shooters so far 103 as of 7-30-2018.

Arizona 31, Nevada 29, California 15, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, Illinois, Montana, Idaho, New Mexico, Mississippi, Canada  total others 24. 

So what does everyone else have to say leave as is all top shooters or change for once?  Do  want to bring the trophy back?

Sounds to me that everyone likes this Battle of States Issue. How about some input gang!

How about top 5 in each state?  Gives the other states more opportunity to compete.  

We want to make sure we are not suggesting more work for tournament that already does so much.  I appreciate all the fond memories the kids and myself have enjoyed together.  This tournament goes above and beyond!!!!!!

58 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

How about top 5 in each state?  Gives the other states more opportunity to compete.  

how about we just give all the other states a participation award . Lol

56 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

?

I don't think you have to get a lot of work involved in this. You get the winners and just like giving awards.  Team state is picked and the Trophy goes to that Team. Don't need to get way, way into this. No matter if its top shooters, in between shooters or what ever.

Sounds to me like a few shooters really would like to see this Battle of States back according to what I have read in some of the entry's so far. I do feel that you have to have more than top five shooters so others can get involved. That is really what involvement is all about.

Ok. 

The Board has discussed this topic and we have decided that if you guys want it back...  You get it back.

Eldorado 2018 

The Battle of the States returns.

We are not sure that it will be determined under the exact same conditions as before; but we will be discussing the parameters and requirements and will update as things are ironed out.

But never let it be said that Eldorado does not listen to their shooters.

Yep! Shooting Bull;  You may as well write home and sell the out house cause your %#@ is grass and the lawn mower is at the ready!!!

4 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Is Charming gonna kick my butt? :blush:

Actually no.

Charming was quite adamant that she had no issue bringing back the Battle of the States as long as SHE didn't have to handle it.

Being a supportive member of the the Board; I assured her that somebody else would do the work.

And I immediately began looking for that somebody else...

Surprisingly, I have already found a a couple volunteers for the duty.  

Now, I have to finalize some of our ideas on how the new Battle is going to be configured.

9 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Now, I have to finalize some of our ideas on how the new Battle is going to be configured.

Let's do it by weight.  You and I alone would guarantee a Nevada victory. :D

Archived